News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is my Charger Worth?

Started by 1970chargerrt, June 26, 2011, 01:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970chargerrt

Several years ago when prices were high I looked at selling my Charger but decided not to. I've been thinking about it again but I haven't been following the market the last few years. What do you think is a reasonable price for my car?

1970 Charger R/T
Owned since 1994
original motor/trans
Broadcast sheets (2)
Nice amateur restoration but not a show winner. A nice driver.
Motor hasn't been bored out but I put new rings/bearings/restoration MP magnum cam in it and had hardened seats/bronze guides put in the heads for unleaded gas.
Front suspension rebuilt.
Bottom sandblasted and painted.
Mostly no rust car but had rear window leaks and rotten trunk floor and lower quarters. I put in a new trunk floor and quarter skins. Rest of car would have been considered rust free. Pretty sure car hadn't been driven in a northern salt conditions. The previous owner advertised it as a Cal. car but I know from the emissions it wasn't originally sold in Cal. I do think it came from out west somewhere since the original paint was literally burned off the hood trunk and tops of the quarters. I don't see that in MN.
78,000 miles. About 5000 since I started driving it in 2000.
Painted in 1998 but it has been sitting in my heated garage under a cover when not driven so I think the paint still looks decent.

Here is a link to a video:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mnguy55#p/u/6/xx0yLyFq8z0

Again, not sure I'm selling , just looking for opinions on a realistic price.

Richard Cranium

Looks ok zig-zagging in the video, but how about sharing pictures &/or video of it standing still. Original sheet metal condition, mileage, mechanicals, etc.
I am Dr. Remulac

1970chargerrt

Here are some photos.  They are a couple years old (I think 4 years old) but I don't think anything looks different.  Probably 2000 miles since these were taken.

http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb259/mnguy55/#!cpZZ2QQtppZZ32

I bought the car with 72,xxx on it in 1994.  I drove it home and took it apart.  It didn't move again until 2000.  Now the mileage just turned over 78,000 last week.

I put quarter skins, trunk floor and rear valance on it.  The rest was excellent condition.  The rear window corners were rusted through and the car had been stored outside for a long time.  I think the lower quarters and trunk floor were probably completely full of water for a while before they rusted through.  It was funny that the bottom side of the trunk floor was in excellent condition.  The primer was fine after I took the gas tank off you could see it.  The upper side was rotten and there were holes in it.  Basically there was rust from the rear window leaks but none from salt.

Mechanically it runs and drives very nice.  I have never gotten the AC working.  It worked when I got the car.  It is all there but I have never messed with it since getting it running.  It doesn't get hot where I live so I would never use it but it would be nice if it worked.  Everything else works.  About the only unusual things it has is a AM/FM radio and a 956 radiator which I had recored.

Probably the worst think on the car is the side glass.  It is scratched.  The rear window has a scratch on it too.  The windshield is new and is good.  The bodywork was all done by me in my garage, although a friend with painting experience painted it (in my garage).  It is far from perfect but pretty nice considering it is the first time I really tried to do good bodywork.  Fixing up junker trucks was all I had ever done before this car.

68X426

Quote from: 1970chargerrt on June 26, 2011, 01:25:29 PM
just looking for opinions on a realistic price.

Realistic to ask or realistic for what you may get? :scratchchin:

$12,000 and $10,000.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

y3chargerrt

Looks really nice. Has to be worth much more the 10-12K.. :shruggy:

GordonGriggs

Look at the price of other 1970 Chargers that have Sold in similar condition to yours and you should get some idea.

But Sometimes, price is a matter of Desire.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 68X426 on June 26, 2011, 07:08:07 PM

$12,000 and $10,000.

Thats waaay low for a #'s matching '70 R/T in a non standard color combo...thats a mid to high 20's car all day long :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 26, 2011, 08:10:11 PM

$12,000 and $10,000.

Thats waaay low for a #'s matching '70 R/T in a non standard color combo...thats a mid to high 20's car all day long :Twocents:

:iagree:  70's don't sell as well as 68/69s but I don't think it's that big a difference.

A reasonable way to get a decent idea of the market is to watch the cars that sell on ebay. It's not going to be a perfect barometer but should easily give you an idea. There have been a rash of 70s on ebay lately.
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks-/6001/i.html?Model4710b09=Charger8f45cc1e&_sop=1&_ssov=1&_cat=6199&Generation890a8538=19681970ced6404&_dmpt=US_Cars_Trucks&_pcats=6191%2C6001%2C6000&Make247a0e=Dodge3f237b7&_dct=1
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

nvrbdn

i say 20's. if that car would only bring 10 id never sell it. i see rusted piles get 5 grand. this is a driving #'s matching rt :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

1970chargerrt

$12,000 and $10,000.

I don't like haggling when buying or selling cars.  I price mine "firm" and make sure the potential buyer understands that before they come to look.  I also only make one offer when I buy assuming it's not a "firm" price to begin with.  I know most people aren't this way but I am.

I'm just trying to get a feel for what is a price that is something someone may be willing to pay but I wont be kicking myself a week later after looking around a little more and seeing what others are actually getting for their cars.

I like the car.  It's the only hobby car I've had.  I have a messed up back and working on it isn't much fun although I can do what I have to do, I'd prefer not to wrench on it.  Even driving isn't much fun for more than about half an hour because of my back.  I got the car running in 2000 but it only had the driver seat and instrument cluster inside.  Outside was 100% done.  It was like that until winter 2005-6 when I finished the interior.  It was kind of fun to take it to shows or just drive around once in a while.  You cant get gas without someone coming up to you and asking about it, it gets lots of compliments.  I'm just kind of sick of car shows and driving around.  I don't have any particular need to sell other than I would really like to have the room in my 2 car garage and I might use the $ to buy a new truck.

I was shocked to see what cars were going for in 2007.  I came pretty close to selling back then but I had only had the interior in it one summer and was still kind of liking driving it around.  I have a gut feel that I could probably get somewhere between 25,000 and 28,000 for it.   I remember when I bought it in 1994 and a mint Charger R/T was in the high teens so mid 20's now is probably pretty good considering I bought it long before the early 2000's run up of prices.  It kind of shows that you are better off to buy a fixed up one, at least $ wise.  I wanted to fix one up myself becaseu back then I enjoyed working on cars.  Now it's a chore.  Now if I could get enough out of it to buy a new truck....................

GordonGriggs

My only advice is to think before you sell. A new truck  won't be worth as much 10 years from now. Your charger will probably be worth more even in it's current condition.

Also,Im speaking from experience here.

Once you sell your charger, you may regret it. I sold my 68 Charger almost 10 years ago, and it really did not bother me until a few weeks ago. I just had to get another one. I would have really liked to get my old one back. But I don't know who has it, where it is, or even if it still exists.

rarefish

$12,000 and $10,000.

I was thinking the same thing. Mid 20's  I really like the color combo....

68X426

$12,000 and $10,000.

I am going by what the gentleman said: amateur restoration, nice driver, garage paint job. And it's implied that it may not be rust free today. Doesn't sound to me like he gets any interest in the 20s. In this market, today, cut that in half, equals $10k.  :Twocents:

Only way to know: place the ad at $29,995 or offer. What I see is just another decent Charger seller in a market filled with sellers in a seller's economy. $12-10k. Sorry that you need to sell in a sellers market.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

68X426

Quote from: 1970chargerrt on June 26, 2011, 09:25:25 PM

I don't like haggling when buying or selling cars.  I price mine "firm" and make sure the potential buyer understands that before they come to look.  I also only make one offer when I buy assuming it's not a "firm" price to begin with.  I know most people aren't this way but I am.

I agree, I wish the car world was this way.

So run an ad everywhere on-line for your firm price, what ever that is. Nothing to lose, use a new e-mail box just for the ad to keep your regular life normal. 

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

69charger2002

i think you would be able to get 20-25k for it as it is. heck i'd give 18-19 for it just based on what i see.  :2thumbs:
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Sublime/Sixpack

After looking at the photos, the amount of $20,000.00 popped into my mind. You might get more than that, maybe less, it just depends.
I know you said you don't want to wrench on it, but I saw several small things especially under the hood that could be corrected rather easily that would more than likely make it to sell for more, or atleast cause it to sell more quickly.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

472 R/T SE

I don't know what I'm missing here & I'm not being bias.  At least I don't think so.

$25k-$27k easy.  :Twocents:  From just the few pix.  And that's just it, almost impossible to give an accurate figure w/out looking at it.

But I will say, no way that's a $10k-$12k car.  I don't care if it's an amateur resto or not.  I've seen a lot of nice garage paint as well.  Broadcast sheets, #'s matching, important stuff like the correct radiator, all the A/C present.  
Pass me the pipe 68X... :apimp:   ;)

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Blakcharger440

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on June 27, 2011, 02:10:30 AM
I don't know what I'm missing here & I'm not being bias.  At least I don't think so.

$25k-$27k easy.  :Twocents:  From just the few pix.  And that's just it, almost impossible to give an accurate figure w/out looking at it.

But I will say, no way that's a $10k-$12k car.  I don't care if it's an amateur resto or not.  I've seen a lot of nice garage paint as well.  Broadcast sheets, #'s matching, important stuff like the correct radiator, all the A/C present.  
Pass me the pipe 68X... :apimp:   ;)

Yep I agree that is far from a 10K car. I think the price for that 70RT will most likely fall in the 20 to 25 range.

skip68

IMOP, who does the restore be it a professional or an amateur doesn't matter if the work was done correctly. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

skip68

Dang!   I just looked at the pictures and was shocked.   I was looking for a 10k pile that needs resto and saw a beautiful blue car inside and out.   :o.  I would say $24k to 26k is right in the ballpark for that car.  Unless there is Swiss cheese and bondo  under that paint. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

twodko

I, too, just looked at the stills of your car. It is a very nice 70 no doubt about it. IMO the bottom line is a car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Vintage muscle cars, classics, rods etc attract a different kind of buyer. These folks know what they're looking at and have realistic ideas of what a given car may be worth (for the most part).
I had thought NADA car guide was fair barometer of the current value of our cars.............not. Anyway  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

surmanajaja

I think its worth about 25-27 000-  if You sell if for 20 I will buy it. just need a moment to gather the money but the offer is real.

68 RT

1BAD68

Absolutely 25k+
Nice car

1970chargerrt

Thanks everyone for the comments.  My gut feel was mid 20's.  I don't have to sell it but I'd really like the room and I just don't like working on cars anymore and working on it was really why I bought it although at the time I bought it I intended to make it a summertime daily driver.  I got a little carried away and took it all apart to do a nice job (and I mean ALL apart, down to the bare unibody).

This has kind of confirmed what I thought.  If I sell it I'll probably set a firm price in the higher 20's and if someone wants it great if not it can sit in my garage and I'll drive it a couple hundred miles a year.