News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OT: My son is racing against someone from 30 years ago (swimming)

Started by triple_green, January 11, 2006, 11:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple_green

My 15 YO son started competitive swimming a couple of years ago. I had been a competitive swimmer for 14 years while growing up. I never pushed him to swim. He played soccer and baseball and finally a year or two ago decided swimming was his thing.

Andrew is a freshman in HS, 5' 11" tall and 170 lbs. He is very handsome (thanks to my wife's genes) and very easy going---everyone likes him....

Anyway....In HS I had the swimming record for the 500 yard freestyle.(The record was beaten in the early 80s). So it has been Andrew's goal to beat my (freshman) record all this season. On his second try he tied it. But last night he crushed it by 3 seconds and even managed to beat the Jr. who was suppose to win the meet.

Needless to say he and I were both thrilled.

Every once in a while this kid thing is fun   :yesnod:

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

golden73

Wow thats awesome!!!

What was his time? (I am a former competitive swimmer so I love hearing this stuff)

RD

congratulations to him and to you for being a proud papa!  that is awesome news!
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

triple_green

Thanks for the kind word guys.....I'm not hiding the proud papa thing very well.

I was not a superstar but I contributed lots of point to in the meets and at district.

Fr time was 5:33
Sr best was 5:24

Andrew did a 5:30 yesterday.

P.S. - He already knows how to spell Charger; I'm also trying to teach him to spell H-E-M-I.

3X

golden73

Quote from: triple_green on January 11, 2006, 11:56:02 AM
I was not a superstar but I contributed lots of point to in the meets and at district.

Fr time was 5:33
Sr best was 5:24

Andrew did a 5:30 yesterday.

:2thumbs:
That's a lot better than I could ever do in the 500. I only swam it once when I was a freshman, which was my first year of swimming, and I got a 6:04  ::)

I was always more of a backstroker/butterfly man myself

ChargerRob

Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

69_500

Tell your son Congrats.

It is always good to see if you can beat or duplicate what your parents or an older sibling did. Especially in sports. I tried for years to duplicate what my dad did in wrestling.

bull

That's cool. I bet nothing creates more motivation for a kid than beating dear 'ol dad's record.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

8WHEELER

Mark, congrats to your son, Charger and Hemi ummm yep good words to learn  ;D

I was on a swim team for about 4yrs, have lots of ribins and trophys somewhere but have no idea anymore
what time they were you have a great memory. I played soccer for 12yrs, then baseball and football came my
way, them just football for the last 6years.

It has to be tough, be happy for your son and keep your ego  ;D a chip off the old block right?

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

PocketThunder

Give him an atta boy :2thumbs:

My son went from crawling to running and he's only 13 months old right now.  His Mom and i were both runners in college, so i think he'll have a good shot at beating my 3000m steeplechase record if he decides to be a runner.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

triple_green

Dan,

My ego has been slowly downsized over the years (Thanks to Boeing, wife and kids). My original records were beat by a kid five years later who I helped train when he was a 9-10 year old. Records are made to be broken. If they aren't, you have to ask yourself why.....nobody is that good.

My son is (almost) pure joy to me. He is nice kid. He does well in school and athletics. He is even fairly nice looking (thanks to my wife), except for his messy blond "surfer boy" hair.

It is kind of amuzing to me that he is so interested in beating all my records. He keeps pretty close track. What parent does take pleasure in having there children exceed them. It is the way it should be.

Also, my son seems to be the only one that doesn't realize his old man is a "dork". Oh, well I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

3X