News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aluminum driveshaft

Started by Ghoste, June 27, 2011, 08:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Is there anyone here using an aluminum driveshaft on their STREET driven car?

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ghoste

Okay good.  So obviously no issues then with durability in a street environment?  I realize there should be no more abusive environment than the dragstrip but sometimes the street presents problems a car on the track never sees.

Belgium R/T -68

I haven't discovered any negative effects either so far.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

BSB67

I believe that some late model vehicles have aluminum driveshafts - I could be mistaken.  I have not had any problems, and it settled the car down a bit too.  I think my original shaft might have been going south but did not realize it until I put the new one in.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

A383Wing

most chev 4x4 trucks use aluminum drive shafts...only on the rear shaft....never seen one on the front

RallyeMike

Aluminum drive shafts are common now in newer cars and trucks.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

FLG

Has anyone on the forum besides autodynamics used a carbon fiber driveshaft?

471_Magnum

Aluminum driveshafts are very common these days.

One thing to consider on a retrofit would be the larger diameter. They are quite a bit bigger than a comparable steel shaft. If you've got a tight fitting exhaust system or driveshaft loop, you may have issues.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."