News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 filling with motor initial firing up

Started by hemi68charger, July 12, 2014, 08:25:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang.
As many of you may already know, I'm installed a fresh 426 Hemi and rebuilt the 727. On initial start up, my friend who built the 727 mentioned pouring 4 qts of tranny fluid in initially. But, with me firing up the motor for the 1st time, I want to be able to focus on it and not too much on the tranny fluid. Will it hurt to pour a couple more quarts in? Prior to mating the motor and tranny, I poured some fluid into the torque converter as well.....

Thanks..
T
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

fy469rtse

Yep, I would put more in, factory manual, compensate extra if has deep pan,
Yes do it , you have enough to keep eyes on with initial fire up,
You don't need the extra stress of this in the back of your mind , yes first fire up can be very stressful, once it's out of the way and nothing comes apart or leaks, all good
:2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Troy,

With the external cooler it will hold 7+ quarts....so definately add a few more  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

b5blue

You need to run up and down through the shift positions to cycle the fluid for proper fill/lube.

fy469rtse

Thanks Ron , I thought it was 7 but relying on memory  :2thumbs:

John_Kunkel

Any more than 6 quarts in a standard-depth pan risks throwing fluid out the breather on startup...better to leave a funnel in the filler tube and add a couple of quarts after startup.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

hemi68charger

I have the deep Mopar Performance pan.......... All done...... Fired up the Hemi yesterday and went through the gears........ All good. I will hopefully take that open-header Hemi out for a spin in a couple of hours....

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection