News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

alternator over charging ?

Started by moparstuart, June 25, 2011, 07:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

Last sunday coming back from a two hour drive to a show my alternator started discharging and making a slight bearing noise .  at speed it would still charge some but at idle it was discharging .  Ok so i get a new one and now its great at idle , but at speed the gauge is off the charts over charging  ?  Is this a bad alternator or has my regulator fried and is not regulating it correctly  ???
  the alternators have life time warrantys but are cheap remans  ?  Also they are both a 78 amp  to accomidate my new power accessories i've added  .  THis is on a 70 with factory style mopar electronic ignition .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

b5blue

Check the battery condition of charge, field hookups and grounds! (I use the same disconnect but on the ground side post.) Check the plug on the harness that goes to the regulator real well, someone here had one of the connectors inside there come apart making the same problem also.  :scratchchin:

Paul G

Also make sure the regulator is securely fastened to the firewall. The body of the regulator must have a good, clean, tight, conection to the firewall.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

moparstuart

After a new voltage reg , checking all the wiring and connections , plugs and grounds .  It was still over charging . The gauge would still peg all the way to the right at speed .  So i pulled the alternator and got another , all is fine now . The new alternator had a bad field that was grounding out . 

New reman stuff out of the box is junk these days , life time warranty a must .   

Finn

I had the same issue on one of my challengers. My alt needle would peg out with engine rpm. Eventually smoke came out from under the dash and when I looked at the gauge the needle was curled up and burned.  :eek2: I was going to try the regulator first but I also have a reman'd alt. Maybe I should just replace that first?
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

moparstuart

Quote from: Finn on July 01, 2011, 12:45:55 PM
I had the same issue on one of my challengers. My alt needle would peg out with engine rpm. Eventually smoke came out from under the dash and when I looked at the gauge the needle was curled up and burned.  :eek2: I was going to try the regulator first but I also have a reman'd alt. Maybe I should just replace that first?
it smelled hot like electronics hot  in the car the last time i started it before exchanging the alternator again .  My aftermarket radio would not stay turned on either like it was overloading and shutting down .

the new alternator works great