News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Voltage Regulator

Started by Bobs69, February 15, 2011, 06:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobs69

flyboyedwards

I am getting ready to put my electronic ignition in, and I bought one of these electronic regulators. I am wondering, do you have to do anything with the ballast resistor near the old points style regulator? I have the MP electronic conversion kit, and it has a new resistor, is that where it goes, or is that on specifically for the VR? Thanks for the  help!!!!   :popcrn:
Jason.

Ghoste

The ballast resistor is a part of the ignition system and the voltage regulator is part of the charging circuit.  Obviously they interact with differnt parts of the electrical system but that is a simple way to look at those two parts.  So to answer your question, the resistor in your conversion kit is the one to use.

Bobs69

Quote from: Ghoste on June 26, 2011, 10:02:26 PM
The ballast resistor is a part of the ignition system and the voltage regulator is part of the charging circuit.  Obviously they interact with differnt parts of the electrical system but that is a simple way to look at those two parts.  So to answer your question, the resistor in your conversion kit is the one to use.

Hmm been so long since mine has been changed, what's the value of the ballast resistor.  Or should I say do you have a part number.???  Thanks.

And while you're at it how about coming over here and putting it on for me.   Seriously tho thanks in advance for any help you can give.  And for what  you've done already.

Just picked up the FBO VR-1 unit for $29... Thanks for the info...

I wasn't aware you couldn't run a points style regulator with Mopars electronic ignition, probably explains why my regulator failed in the first place and luckily it didn't wipe out the ECU, however, it took the gauges out instead by killing the instrument regulator.

I called FBO to order the regulator and was totally impressed with Don, his knowledge and helpfulness was absolutely exceptional and outstanding. Hopefully they bring back the A688 as an option to the "better" HR688 box.

ODZKing

Quote from: 440 on June 29, 2011, 04:37:39 AM
Just picked up the FBO VR-1 unit for $29... Thanks for the info...

I wasn't aware you couldn't run a points style regulator with Mopars electronic ignition, probably explains why my regulator failed in the first place and luckily it didn't wipe out the ECU, however, it took the gauges out instead by killing the instrument regulator.

I called FBO to order the regulator and was totally impressed with Don, his knowledge and helpfulness was absolutely exceptional and outstanding. Hopefully they bring back the A688 as an option to the "better" HR688 box.
:yesnod:

Got an email back from Don and A688's are gone forever  :'(

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html