News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Best electronic ignition setup?

Started by denver98, June 23, 2011, 12:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denver98

I have a 440 in my Charger with a dual point ignition and I would like to swap it out for electronic.  I was wondering what you guys think is the best electronic setup.  Also, how do I insure that my electrical system won't fry the components? 

Thanks for the help.

pullrock

I have been using MSD 6AL for 1- years.  Have not had problem with it.

Eric

b5blue

I have FBO's A-688 ignition system with a Mopar dizzy set up to my engines build and really like it. Firecore plug wires from Firefighter (Ron) XR-5 NGK plugs, runs like a champ!   www.4secondsflat.com   (This system retains/uses vacuum advance and gave me a nice jump in MPG.)   :2thumbs:

Mick70RR

My FBO ignition module packed up last week. Luckily the car was in the garage, started it up and it ran for about two seconds and died. I got hold of a Standard LX101 ignition module locally and was back up and running in a few hours. Bought another one the other day to keep in the trunk, it's one of the few things on the car can fail with no warning and leave you stranded. I also keep a spare magnetic pickup in the trunk.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Mick70RR on June 23, 2011, 03:57:19 PM
My FBO ignition module packed up last week. Luckily the car was in the garage, started it up and it ran for about two seconds and died. I got hold of a Standard LX101 ignition module locally and was back up and running in a few hours. Bought another one the other day to keep in the trunk, it's one of the few things on the car can fail with no warning and leave you stranded. I also keep a spare magnetic pickup in the trunk.

Damn :rotz:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,81333.0.html
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

b5blue

I had similar issues with no start but found the problem in my harness and aftermarket ignition switch. (Verified by tearing them apart.) Even my new Evens engine harness had the bulkhead blue wire poorly crimped, the wire just slid out of the crimp upon a "tug test". Had I not thoroughly tested every aspect of every connection (Like actually pulling on every connection and wire, not just "ringing it out with a meter".) I'd been chasing my tail still.   :lol:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Nope....my A688 definitely gave up the ghost....its all Nacho's fault! ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

b5blue

Was it within the 2 year warranty? (Darn that Nacho!  :lol:) I still have my 16 year old NAPA ECU for a backup also. The main recommendation I'm touting is Don's "phased, curved, vacuum advance calibrated distributor" that I added lastly. He nailed the adjustments they dialed in, set timing at 12* let her rip!   :cheers: 

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

frederick

Your question is a little too vague.

Do you want to keep a distributor?
If not, the best ignition is fully programmable, crank triggered, has coil-on-plugs and has the ability to adjust individual cylinder timing.
But do you need the best?

I converted my dual point distributor to electronic and am very happy with it.

F.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: b5blue on June 23, 2011, 07:49:06 PM
Was it within the 2 year warranty? (Darn that Nacho!  :lol:) I still have my 16 year old NAPA ECU for a backup also. The main recommendation I'm touting is Don's "phased, curved, vacuum advance calibrated distributor" that I added lastly. He nailed the adjustments they dialed in, set timing at 12* let her rip!   :cheers: 

Nope, almost 5 years old.   Ive had my dizzy done twice by Don...once with the vac advance locked out & now with the vac advance working for the stock Carter carb
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 23, 2011, 06:38:55 PM
Nope....my A688 definitely gave up the ghost....its all Nacho's fault! ;)

yeap, my fault about starting this thread:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,81292.0.html

Here is the guilty reply

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on May 27, 2011, 08:58:42 PM
That sucks....Ive had mine for about 5 years with no troubles.....watch now that there are no more mine will crap out!!! :brickwall:

less than a week later, was history LOL

Chriss, looking forward to the new multi spark version now ?

I dunno yet if will make a try to get it next year, but still not the actuall pic of the product on FBO website
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

nah...right now just running my good old Chrome box & a Blaster coil
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Wicked72

Im going with MSD on my build. I have used them on jut about every car ive owned and have never had them fail.
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

dreamcatcher

I've tried and had issues with Mallory and msd...by for for the money I like my new dist.I went with pro comp  :yesnod:
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

charger Downunder

Mopar one no problems been on for years
Bought a spare box Standard Ignition brand LX-101 just in case the orange one craps out.
[/quote]