News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the fuel line supposed to look like (and some other fuel questions)?

Started by MaximRecoil, June 20, 2011, 11:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximRecoil

(1969, 318, automatic)

1. Is it supposed to be one long steel line from the fuel pump inlet to the tank, or is it supposed to have rubber hose sections in it (I know it is supposed to attach to the fuel pump inlet and sending unit with short sections of rubber hose)? I removed my fuel line today, and it had 3 short sections of rubber hose in it. Is that the way it is supposed to be, or is that just some previous owner's method of repair?

2. The gas tank and/or sending unit is supposed to be grounded in order for the fuel gauge to work, is that right? If so, does anyone have a picture of the correct ground strap and how/where it attaches?

3. There's a right angle plug that goes on a small threaded stud on the sending unit for the electrical connection between the gas gauge and the sending unit. The one on my car is in bad shape. What is that plug called, and where can I get a new one?

maxwellwedge

Usually there are 2 pieces of hose. One from the frame rail to the fuel pump, the other from the sending unit to the line. In other words - One at each end.

MaximRecoil

Thanks for the diagram.

And how did this end up on the "Engine, Transmission, Rearend, & Exhaust" board? Which of those 4 things are the fuel line, fuel tank, and sending unit part of?

Cooter

That "plug" on the end of the fuel sending unit wire is usually found one of two ways IMO....Junkyard off either another cars fuel sender wire, or the temp sender wire, or replacing the entire Rear wiring harness...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Cooter on June 21, 2011, 08:27:06 PM
That "plug" on the end of the fuel sending unit wire is usually found one of two ways IMO....Junkyard off either another cars fuel sender wire, or the temp sender wire, or replacing the entire Rear wiring harness...

The temperature sender wire plug seemed to be a little too small for the stud on the sending unit when I tried it to see if it would fit (though it could probably be forced on). I would think that those plugs would be available new from somewhere, because it seems like I've seen them in various other applications before.