News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alternator gauge pegging out on the positive side

Started by 70charginglizard, June 19, 2011, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

I was scratching my head on the above subject issue the past few days here but finally found what was causing it.
Just thought I'd share in case any of you happen to run into this.

I recently put in a new alternator in the charger and when I did I pull the engine harness plug out on the voltage regulator and put a new one in.

Well apparently when I pulled the plug out at the voltage regulator I put had yanked a little to hard on the plug and the wire connection broke inside that big rubber housing on the blue wire side. Of coarse visually it wasn't something you could see and I spent days banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why my brand new alternator and voltage regulator was over charging. They were both frickin brand new.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Word to the wise.....go easy when pulling out that harness at your voltage regulators. Those brass connectors are not real strong and break pretty easy.  :eyes: :rotz:

All fixed now though :2thumbs:
70charginglizard

b5blue

Good to know, I had the same issue with my alt gauge last week... Just had a few gauges re-cored and when installed in the car alt gauge started to smoke after a min... Luckily I saw it quick enough and shut it down, and that the gauges are still ok....

Another word to the wise when you check to see if the system is charging and the voltage regulator is working watch the voltage for a little while and not just 10 seconds. When first tested prior to installing the cluster it read just over 13V, but slowly crept up in voltage - to just over 17 volts to be exact  :icon_smile_blackeye: Probably the reason they fried in the first place from the previous owner.