News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

removing the steering wheel....

Started by bajaherbie, June 19, 2011, 09:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bajaherbie

i need to get to my blinker switch to figure out why they're not working... i have a spare column that i am going to disassemble but i cant get the old wheel off! the car is a 73 and i have removed the nut but cant the wheel to break loose. i threaded two bolts in the holes and have my 2 arm wheel puller on them and the center bolt pushing on the steering shaft but it won't break loose! am i missing something here? thanks for your help, scott

nascarxx29

Might try some WD 40 and maybe a brass hammer with tension on hit the puller center bolt on the head
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

BananaDan

You could also try a socket wrench with a longer handle, or a breaking bar on your steering wheel puller center screw to give you more leverage.  It's just a rust issue it sounds like, standard wheel pullers is how I've taken wheels off of my Charger before tons of times. 
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

bajaherbie

thanks! i squirted pb blaster on it a few days ago so maybe it has loosened up a bit by now. going to go to my shop when it cools off some later this evening.

i need to find a service manual for it soon.

HANDM

Make sure you keep the nut on the post so you dont mangle the threads, .......I take the point/ guide off of the center and use the loosened nut as a guide

bajaherbie

got it!

it kinda sounded like a gun went off when it broke loose! :o i think putting the nut back on the shaft is what helped the most!