News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New LED's in the Daytona's dash....

Started by hemi68charger, June 16, 2011, 09:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Sooooo, whatcha think. I purposely left the middle OEM bulb in and replaced the lower left (tach) and upper right two (gauges) so I could see the illumination difference. The upper middle bulb between the speedo and tach is taken out. At first I was like,, "Ewwwwwwwww" Maybe they'll grow on me, guess I'm just not used to the "bluish-white" look about it.

Do they make LED's that are more in line with what is should look like? Funny thing is the bluish tint actually goes with the blue light covers that are part of the dash assembly.. So, maybe that was the intention to begin with?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

The white looks better to me...  :Twocents: The LED's don't look any brighter either.

And funnily enough blue makes lights appear whiter. That's my guess as to why they went with blue lenses, otherwise they would be yellowish.

I bet if you took out the blue lenses and kept the LED's the gauges would be white instead of blue.

A383Wing

I tried the LED bulbs in my Dakota dash....I didn't like the bright & dark spots that the LED bulbs created

hemi68charger

I'm not liking them either.. I guess I needed to order natural white. Just that natural white was available in the wedge LED from superbrightleds.com....
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Johnnys440Charger

A383Wing

well, you are still gonna get "bright" & "dim" spots with no matter what LED you use...I ain't found one that will distribute the light "evenly" throughout the cluster

The only way you'd get a more even light pattern is by some sort of reflector which isn't practical. As A383wing says you'll always get bright and dark spots due to the LED light being more "focused"

Personally I'd just buy "brighter" conventional bulbs, they are out there... Even with natural white in the LED's your still going to get a bluish tint due to the blue lenses, unless you remove them.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Charger-Bodie

I like the conventional bulbs better.....
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Charger_Dart

I also think the conventional bulbs look better for you dash lights. I have tried LED's in a couple of things with mixed results. I replaced all of the conventional bulbs in a couple of pinball machines and it made a huge improvement. I tried them in the front turn signal lights on the Dart and that was no good. But when I put them in the rear lights, it made a very nice improvement. I have them in my Charger tail lights but not the front ones, but that is not tested yet (maybe in a week or so). LED's seem to be very directional so they don't always work as replacements for conventional lights, but can look good in some applications. 
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

moparstuart

i went with LED's in the birdible and love them
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

68RRFlyer

Yup, looks good Troy.  I thought you were getting the white ones?  Why'd you go blue?  I did the exact same thing as you Stuart.  Loved them.  Brightened everything up and they looked great.  I also did my front turn signals, dome light, and installed a sequential turn signal system as well (after I replaced the inner sockets with 1157 sockets) on my old 69.  The look was awesome and they'll never need replacement, won't melt the lenses, and draw less power than the old bulbs.  Not that the latter two points really makes a huge difference, since our cars usually don't get driven at night anyway.  It's the brightness I wanted.  Hit the dash lights and you can see everything and hit the brakes and more importantly, everyone can see you! :2thumbs:

Cheers und Wiedersehen  :cheers:
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

hemi68charger

Quote from: 68RRFlyer on June 17, 2011, 12:35:26 PM
Yup, looks good Troy.  I thought you were getting the white ones?  Why'd you go blue?  I did the exact same thing as you Stuart.  Loved them.  Brightened everything up and they looked great.  I also did my front turn signals, dome light, and installed a sequential turn signal system as well (after I replaced the inner sockets with 1157 sockets) on my old 69.  The look was awesome and they'll never need replacement, won't melt the lenses, and draw less power than the old bulbs.  Not that the latter two points really makes a huge difference, since our cars usually don't get driven at night anyway.  It's the brightness I wanted.  Hit the dash lights and you can see everything and hit the brakes and more importantly, everyone can see you! :2thumbs:

Cheers und Wiedersehen  :cheers:

I did get the white ones... Cool white to be precise. Should have gone with the natural white, but they don't sell those in the wedge design. The bluish color is from a combination of the cool blue LED and the blue light cover within the dash. I will definitely do my dome light and console lights for sure since they will cut down on the heat generated from conventional bulbs and the discoloration it causes...
Troy

Just 6T9 CHGR

I had the LED's as well a few years ago for a little bit but took them out in favor of the regular bulbs.

I actually used green bulbs....looked OK but wasnt as bright as I wanted
Chris' '69 Charger R/T