News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cheap... don't you think ?

Started by Nacho-RT74, January 02, 2006, 11:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

It's nuts.

15 years ago we weren't doing this.  Back when the resto industry got started, we were mostly seeking taiwanese patch-panels to fix small rust holes in existing cars rather than pay for installing whole new panels.

But now it's a whole different ballgame.  We're no longer patching up cars with repro parts, wer're damn near CONSTRUCTING entire cars out of the parts at this point.  And at the same time our standards have gone way up for what is considered "good repairs."  I think most of the old-car hobby overall is ready to pay more money and get some better panels.  When I'm replacing the entire underside of a $30,000 car, I'm ready and waiting to pay $150 extra to get the repro floorpans stamped out of decent-grade sheets of steel.

Dodge-Charger

QuoteIt's all relative. If I owned a $250,000 hemi challenger convertible that needed quarters, I probably wouldn't hesitate to buy these quarters.

If I owned one at that price it better not need 1/4's.

Nacho-RT74

:iagree:

DAMN THAT WAS A GOOD REPLY HEHEHE...

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 10, 2006, 11:51:57 AM

When I'm replacing the entire underside of a $30,000 car, I'm ready and waiting to pay $150 extra to get the repro floorpans stamped out of decent-grade sheets of steel.

AND real and perfect match panels... I'm still thinking th carpet I got from ACC. the front half of carpet didn't match perfectly with my car floor and I have wrong cut outs on tranny shifter area. I had to glue again those parts . Maybe was just me becsue I have heard lot of good stuff about ACC, but is my experience.

Neither match with dimmer foot switch area.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

hotrod98

Gandalf-the-Grey,
If I owned a 250k hemi challenger and someone ran into it say on the way to a car show, you can be assured that I would find an nos quarter panel for it.
hotrod98

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Mike DC

QuoteGandalf-the-Grey,
If I owned a 250k hemi challenger and someone ran into it say on the way to a car show, you can be assured that I would find an nos quarter panel for it.
hotrod98

That's exactly my point!
A quarter panel is just a stupid hunk of sheetmetal that's been run through a stamping die! 

We act like the human race has lost the ability to stamp a chunk of sheetmetal as well as our bygone ancestors from the 1960s.  Why is it accepted?  I mean, some industries have actually gotten BETTER at producing things since 1969!  Is it some friggin' mystical black art to get the bodylines of a new panel in the same place as the originals?  Was there some buddhist monk who came down from a burning bush in 1969 and taught the engineers to use decent thick steel for the raw material? 

I have friends with other newer hobbies who find it hilarous that I'm so impressed whenever a new repro Charger part actually fits on the car.  They don't know any better. They find it ludicrous to pay hundreds of dollars for replacement parts with holes drilled in the wrong places.  But in the old-car hobby we bend down & kiss Goodmark's nutsack every time they succeed in producing a new panel with all three bodylines on it.

There must be some parallel universe out there where people don't have to pay $4000 for an ancient quarter skin just to get one that's made like the original.

my73charger

So show of hands.... How many of you guys added him to your favorite sellers lists? ;D