News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone know Mallory HyFire?

Started by chargd72, May 29, 2012, 12:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargd72

I just hooked up a Mallory Hyfire 6a with a Unilite dizzy and matching Mallory cannister coil with tan top (suggested for these parts) and I'm getting no spark.  I have 12v reading into the Hyfire box, 12v coming in and out of the distributor but nothing at the coil.  Everything is ground well.  When the ignition is in start or run position the coil has nothing at the terminals.  Anyone have any ideas?  Is the box fried?

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

moparguy01

i dont necessarily know the mallory box, but I do know the msd box. I had a similar problem installing a msd 6a into my charger. At the ballast resistor is where I drew power for the unit per the instructions. However, one of the wires at the resistor is only hot at crank. the other is only hot while running. So I had to connect both those wires together with the power wire from the msd. Viola I was running. I would recommend checking that. Depending on which wire you hooked up to draw power from, you may have 12 volts hot on the system with the key switched on, but nothing on cranking.

Plumcrazy

There is a small hole in the end of the Hyfire box that allows you to see a diagnostic led.  The led should light briefly when the key is cycled on.

Then it should flash while cranking if the box is getting a signal from the pickup in the distributor.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

chargd72

Quote from: moparguy01 on May 29, 2012, 05:10:41 PM
i dont necessarily know the mallory box, but I do know the msd box. I had a similar problem installing a msd 6a into my charger. At the ballast resistor is where I drew power for the unit per the instructions. However, one of the wires at the resistor is only hot at crank. the other is only hot while running. So I had to connect both those wires together with the power wire from the msd. Viola I was running. I would recommend checking that. Depending on which wire you hooked up to draw power from, you may have 12 volts hot on the system with the key switched on, but nothing on cranking.

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah, I already connected both brown and blue (start and run) wires.  I am getting 12v at small red in to activate the box and red wire into unilite while the key is in both positions.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

chargd72

Quote from: Plumcrazy on May 29, 2012, 08:37:58 PM
There is a small hole in the end of the Hyfire box that allows you to see a diagnostic led.  The led should light briefly when the key is cycled on.

Then it should flash while cranking if the box is getting a signal from the pickup in the distributor.

Yep, I get the 3 flashes when the ignition is turned on and it flashes while cranking.  That's why I can't figure out why I don't see any power to the positive terminal of the coil while ignition is in the start or run position.  This is where my gremlin lies...  ???

chargd72

Although the Mallory tech support guy was nice and wanted to help, he pretty much could read me the instructions I already have and that's it. Could someone with a Mallory or msd box please verify that power should be present at the positive end of the coil when key is in the run position with the engine not running. I'm getting no voltage at run or crank. If someone can verify, I'll take the board out for some testing. Thanks.