News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drum brakes, distribution blocks???

Started by 1BAD68, June 14, 2011, 03:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

I have drums on all four corners of my Charger.
The brakes seem to work good but I noticed immediately after driving, the temperature of the front drums are around 100 degrees and the rears are around 240 degrees taken with a infrared thermometer.
My car only has a distribution block, no proportioning valve.
I've adjusted the brakes several times but it doesn't change the temp readings that I get.
Could the distribution block be bad?
Always thought the fronts do the majority of the braking.

y3chargerrt

Temp is same on both sides? It could be the emergency brake cable is causing the rear shoes to drag.

1BAD68

Temp is within 25 degrees side to side.
I never used the emergency brake since owning the car and I've checked it for hanging up but it checks out good.

y3chargerrt

Axel bearings might be adjusted too tight.

Musicman

Could be that the rear brakes are dragging too... what's the condition of the wheels cyclinders, they could be sticking. How clean is the brake fluid, and the brake lines? When was the last time the system was flushed and fluid replaced? Have you changed the Master recently, it could be the plunger is out of adjustment, stopping the piston from fully retracting in the master.

Proportioning valves do not operate under normal braking conditions, they only actuate during sudden or hard braking conditions. The faster you hit the pedal, the faster it reacts... and the harder you press on the pedal, the more pressure it isolates from the rear. Eventually full pressure will be seen at the rear since the proportiong valve simply slows the rate at which the pressure rises. Under normal driving conditions however, full pressure is seen at all 4 wheels.