News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alternative for Steering box spanner wrench

Started by billschroeder5842, June 24, 2011, 03:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

My steering box has a leak on my '69. the leak is coming from the side that has the little adjusting screw and nut on it. I did a bit of research and think that that the seal under the adjustment nut or under the spanner may be faulty so I'm hoping for a simple fix. :yesnod:

I do not own a spanner wrench so is there a way (or tool) I can loosen that bolt using something else? I'd liek to do it myself and save the bucks for a front disc conversion!

Thanks!
Texas Proud!

b5blue

Can ya restate the question? Pics of where/what you mean? In my book a "spanner wrench" is another name for a box or open end wrench, not part of the car. Your referring to the steering gear mesh adjuster screw? (A slotted screw sticking out of the topside of the box with a locking nut.)  :scratchchin:

billschroeder5842

In this old service manual I have it calls the big ring below the gear shaft adjusting screw a "spanner nut."
Texas Proud!

b5blue

billschroeder5842

Well, it is good to be good, but it is way better to be lucky--I got lucky. When messing around with it today I noticed that the adjustment nut was WAY loose. I tightened it up, cleaned it up and drove it about 5 miles to check it out.

So far so good!
Texas Proud!

b5blue

I did find a "spanner wrench" in one of my tool catalogs and it is odd, it adjusts in or out to cover from 1" to 6" in a kinda Y shape and has prongs on the tip to engage the slots on the "spanner nut". So I see your reference and application on a steering box now. Glad it was simple to fix!   :2thumbs: