News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bilingual at the work place... another try at this..

Started by hemi68charger, January 10, 2006, 01:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 12, 2006, 12:11:49 AM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 11, 2006, 11:43:41 AM
Puedo opinar ? no quiero herir sentimientos, son solo opiniones...

1- Hasta donde yo se y lo digo porque no estoy seguro ya que no poseo total conocimento de ello, la Constitucion de Los Estados Unidos no tienen ni Lengua ni Religion Oficiales. El Ingles y la Iglesia Anglicana han sido simplemente "asumidas" como de uso común.

2-Mas de la mitad del territorio de los Estados Unidos ( y esto es MUY importante ) eran originalmente colonias de otros paises, como España y Francia, asi que ese seria el idioma original al menos de las partes territoriales de las colonias que el actual Este de Los Estados Unidos invadio en gran parte ilegalmente. Estamos hablando ya en la era Moderna de la historia de la Humanidad con culturas ya desarrolladas y bien entrado el siglo XIX.

3-Obviamente estamos dejando de lado los idiomas y culturas realmente originales de las poblaciones autoctonas indigenas que por cosas de la historia han sido simplemente desplazados a territorios llamados RESERVAS como si fuesen parques nacionales. No voy aponer en juicio esta parte.

4-Todos los Paises del Mundo adoptan un segundo lenguaje que por lo general es el Ingles. Yo si viajase a Estados Unidos tendria que saber las bases del Ingles al menos... pero los Angloparlantes cuando van a cualquier pais HispanoParlante no tienen NI IDEA del Español, mas alla de saludar y TIENE QUE SER UNO ESTANDO EN SU PROPIO PAIS el que les hable en Ingles. No me parece justo.

P.D.: he obviado la acentuacion en mi redaccion por simples motivos de flojera.

HAVE I BEEN CLEAR ? LOL :D :bump: ;D

Then does nobody have some complaint about this ? LOL

I would answer your question if i could but.... again i say.....
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

5.9_Liter_Grand_Cherokee

Dos cervasas por favor.   :popcrn:

poquinto espanol

We had a manager at my previous job who demanded that all of the hispanic employees speak english when he was around.  Jorge who is about 60, and speaks poquinto Englais, Looked him square in the eye and said "Go F*** yourself ashole".  Everyone in earshot was rolling except the manager.  There was only one way I could to the employee in question.  Muy Bueno Jorge, Muy Bueno!

Be careful what you ask for.
Formerly chargerdaytona477

hemihead

Quote from: chargerless4now on January 12, 2006, 03:32:03 AM

poquinto espanol

We had a manager at my previous job who demanded that all of the hispanic employees speak english when he was around.  Jorge who is about 60, and speaks poquinto Englais, Looked him square in the eye and said "Go F*** yourself ashole".  Everyone in earshot was rolling except the manager.  There was only one way I could to the employee in question.  Muy Bueno Jorge, Muy Bueno!

That just shows a lack of respect and bad employee attitude. He should have been shown the door immediately.But then he would have cried discrimation.And that is getting to be a very worn out story.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

hemi68charger

poquinto espanol

As hemihead stated, he should have been shown the door. You didn't eluded to the circumstances on why the manager said that, but, regardless, your friend Jorge shouldn't have responded that way..

Be careful what you ask for????  Please.......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Charger_Fan

:iagree: That's pretty lame. Some people thing they're doing their employer a 'favor' by working there & that the employer should kiss butt.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Old Moparz

I'm in the Town of Newburgh which is next to the City of Newburgh. It's two, completely different, & completely separate municipalities, but the school district overlaps both, as well as a couple of other towns. Kids are bussed all over because of the Magnet School System & the bussing laws in the state. That means the neighborhood elementary school down the street, which is almost within walking distance, is not my daughter's school. The city of Newburgh has the typical settings of a city with no money. There's crime, run down neighborhoods, poor people, & people of all nationalities, including a very large population of Spanish speaking people.

My daughter's pre-K was right in the center of the city, & she rode the bus to get to it. Since the school is mixed, there was no, one, dominant population from one particular country. There was however, two teachers in each class, & one was required to speak Spanish for the Spanish-speaking-only students. Some people seem to freak out that people come here to the USA & can't speak English. They also get ticked that tax dollars are being spent educating in Spanish, but I think it's important. Maybe the same ticked off people can't look past their own nose on their face as to why some students don't speak English.

There was a kid in my daughter's class she became friends with, & the parents had immigrated here & barely spoke English. How the f**k would they be able to teach the kid English properly, or help with homework? If there were no teachers that spoke Spanish, it might be years before the kids would be able to know what the hell was going on in class. You'd have kids with no more than  kindergarten educations in higher grades taking up space & probably feel like even more of an outcast. My daughter had picked up Spanish from being around all of this. She can't speak it, but she knew more words & meanings at the age of 5 than I did by high school. I wish I had more interest & need when I was younger to learn a second language since I don't have the time or patience now.

As for the work place, it's a tough call, but I kind of like the idea of incorporating as many languages as you can. The rudeness will happen no matter what, since rude behavior comes from rude a-holes everywhere.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

nh_mopar_fan

Gee, and my parents came here not knowing a word of English. Myself and my brother and sister were put into English only classes and somehow managed to not only learn English but teach our parents and we were honor roll students.

Perhaps if we had a Polish speaking teacher in class, it would've made all the difference, huh?

You are NOT doing a Spanish kid any favors by continuing this in the classroom. You're holding him down.

You don't see the irony in the fact that you tout the fact that your daughter, at age 5, has picked up quite a bit of Spanish by just being around it? Doesn't it work the other way around? Of course it does. I'm living proof.

Old Moparz

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on January 12, 2006, 11:36:12 AM
Gee, and my parents came here not knowing a word of English. Myself and my brother and sister were put into English only classes and somehow managed to not only learn English but teach our parents and we were honor roll students.

Perhaps if we had a Polish speaking teacher in class, it would've made all the difference, huh?

You are NOT doing a Spanish kid any favors by continuing this in the classroom. You're holding him down.

You don't see the irony in the fact that you tout the fact that your daughter, at age 5, has picked up quite a bit of Spanish by just being around it? Doesn't it work the other way around? Of course it does. I'm living proof.

You're absolutely right, but they weren't teaching in Spanish only, I should have been more clear on that. They were there to push them along at a faster pace. I will add that I think it's a bad idea if it were taught only in another language, like Spanish. They only do it on the pre-K level, & after that it's English only.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

hemi68charger

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 12, 2006, 11:27:44 AM

...There was a kid in my daughter's class she became friends with, & the parents had immigrated here & barely spoke English. How the f**k would they be able to teach the kid English properly, or help with homework? If there were no teachers that spoke Spanish, it might be years before the kids would be able to know what the hell was going on in class...

I understand that, but also, the parents of these students need to learn English as well.. Parents have an educational responsibility as well to their children.. You can not put all the socialization of our children on the shoulders of schools.. Tax dollars should be spent to hire two teachers per class? That is alot of money that could be better suited for equipment or dare I say, higher salaries for the teachers... By the time children hit the second grade, all should be at the same level of English. Otherwise, instead of teaching other subjects like art, history, math, etc., it turns into a class of English catch up...

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

5.9_Liter_Grand_Cherokee

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 12, 2006, 07:20:25 AM

poquinto espanol

As hemihead stated, he should have been shown the door. You didn't eluded to the circumstances on why the manager said that, but, regardless, your friend Jorge shouldn't have responded that way..

Troy

Actually, the reason for the post was simply to make a point.  When two people are having a private conversation, it is also rude to eavesdrop.  In addition, if someone decides to take it upon himself to demand that everyone conforms to his ideals, he may recieve retaliation.  What difference does it make, what language two people having a PRIVATE conversation are speaking in.  Obviously, someone was trying to listen to the other's conversation, or they wouldn't have noticed that the others were speaking spanish.  I speak English, because it is the easiest language for me to converse in because it is my first language.  Lets say I moved to Mexico.  I would learn Spanish, and I would speak Spanish in my public dealings.  But if I was having a private conversation with another English speaking person, I would speak english, it is easier for me.  And if some one can't deal with that then it is they who have a problem, not me. 

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: chargerless4now on January 13, 2006, 03:29:22 AM

Actually, the reason for the post was simply to make a point. When two people are having a private conversation, it is also rude to eavesdrop. In addition, if someone decides to take it upon himself to demand that everyone conforms to his ideals, he may recieve retaliation. What difference does it make, what language two people having a PRIVATE conversation are speaking in. Obviously, someone was trying to listen to the other's conversation, or they wouldn't have noticed that the others were speaking spanish. I speak English, because it is the easiest language for me to converse in because it is my first language. Lets say I moved to Mexico. I would learn Spanish, and I would speak Spanish in my public dealings. But if I was having a private conversation with another English speaking person, I would speak english, it is easier for me. And if some one can't deal with that then it is they who have a problem, not me.

actually English is the easier language to ANYBODY in the world... even you guys up there can speak it LOL

j/k
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Old Moparz

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 12, 2006, 05:12:05 PM

...There was a kid in my daughter's class she became friends with, & the parents had immigrated here & barely spoke English. How the f**k would they be able to teach the kid English properly, or help with homework? If there were no teachers that spoke Spanish, it might be years before the kids would be able to know what the hell was going on in class...

I understand that, but also, the parents of these students need to learn English as well.. Parents have an educational responsibility as well to their children.. You can not put all the socialization of our children on the shoulders of schools.. Tax dollars should be spent to hire two teachers per class? That is alot of money that could be better suited for equipment or dare I say, higher salaries for the teachers... By the time children hit the second grade, all should be at the same level of English. Otherwise, instead of teaching other subjects like art, history, math, etc., it turns into a class of English catch up...

Troy

Troy,

Go read my post right above yours. I added that it was strictly her pre-K class, & not classes all the way until she graduated high school. Pre-K & kindergarten have more than one teacher regardless of whether it's Spanish or English, so it isn't a burden on the budget. The kid's parents are nice people & they do speak some English & are learning more. There is no way the entire family could take a crash course & learn well enough in time for a pre-K student. Too many variables behind this whole situation to really explain, & I probably don't have all the details anyway.

In this particular case the system is actually working. The parents are hard workers, decent people & doing their best. The education system in the USA, in general, is no better than fair. The administrators are all overpaid, there are a lot of teachers that are underpaid, & at the same time there are teachers that are as useless as crap who are overpaid & just collect a salary. (No different than any other field of employment anywhere.) I have personal friends who are teachers that I have known for years who will agree. (I also know which of my friends are good teachers & which aren't.) The education system (& even the system of government) works & can work, but it isn't perfect.

The problem seems to be when things like what this topic is creeps in, racism, unfair work places or just rudeness of people in general. I'm sure this is not where you wanted your topic to go completely, so I don't need to keep posting back to correct a post, or defend myself on a post that was misunderstood or quoted out of context. It isn't worth pissing people off, getting pissed off, & it's all the more reason I won't be adding to a politically charged topic.

Good luck to your wife's bilingual problem, it isn't easy.
Bob   :cheers:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

hemi68charger

Quote from: chargerless4now on January 13, 2006, 03:29:22 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on January 12, 2006, 07:20:25 AM

poquinto espanol

Troy

Actually, the reason for the post was simply to make a point.  When two people are having a private conversation, it is also rude to eavesdrop.  In addition, if someone decides to take it upon himself to demand that everyone conforms to his ideals, he may recieve retaliation.  What difference does it make, what language two people having a PRIVATE conversation are speaking in.  Obviously, someone was trying to listen to the other's conversation, or they wouldn't have noticed that the others were speaking Spanish.  I speak English, because it is the easiest language for me to converse in because it is my first language.  Lets say I moved to Mexico.  I would learn Spanish, and I would speak Spanish in my public dealings.  But if I was having a private conversation with another English speaking person, I would speak English, it is easier for me.  And if some one can't deal with that then it is they who have a problem, not me. 

The reason for the post, for I started it, wasn't private conversations.. It was the work environment... It's essential that ALL employees had a comfortable workplace with any potential barriers reduced or eliminated... Private in the sense is perfect when on break or during lunch.......

Troy
Troy

hemi68charger

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 13, 2006, 03:27:44 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on January 12, 2006, 05:12:05 PM

Troy

Troy,

Go read my post right above yours. I added that it was strictly her pre-K class, & not classes all the way until she graduated high school. Pre-K & kindergarten have more than one teacher regardless of whether it's Spanish or English, so it isn't a burden on the budget. The kid's parents are nice people & they do speak some English & are learning more. There is no way the entire family could take a crash course & learn well enough in time for a pre-K student. Too many variables behind this whole situation to really explain, & I probably don't have all the details anyway.

In this particular case the system is actually working. The parents are hard workers, decent people & doing their best. The education system in the USA, in general, is no better than fair. The administrators are all overpaid, there are a lot of teachers that are underpaid, & at the same time there are teachers that are as useless as crap who are overpaid & just collect a salary. (No different than any other field of employment anywhere.) I have personal friends who are teachers that I have known for years who will agree. (I also know which of my friends are good teachers & which aren't.) The education system (& even the system of government) works & can work, but it isn't perfect.

The problem seems to be when things like what this topic is creeps in, racism, unfair work places or just rudeness of people in general. I'm sure this is not where you wanted your topic to go completely, so I don't need to keep posting back to correct a post, or defend myself on a post that was misunderstood or quoted out of context. It isn't worth pissing people off, getting pissed off, & it's all the more reason I won't be adding to a politically charged topic.

Good luck to your wife's bilingual problem, it isn't easy.
Bob   :cheers:

Hey Bob..  unfortunately, here in Houston, the situation goes past pre-K...   But, I'm like you..... Don't want to get people all fired up or politically charged... She did have the talk with the staff and apparently it went ok.... Better than expected.. Hopefully things will smooth out and they can all get back to work and it being as fun as possible....

:cheers: to you to Bob...

Troy
Troy

TK73

poquinto espanol

VOTE

for President
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: TK73 on January 13, 2006, 11:30:47 PM

poquinto espanol

VOTE

for President

Because, like, he really needs a job right now....

TK73

5.9_Liter_Grand_Cherokee

Puh leeze:  We've had enough of Jorge in office.

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 13, 2006, 01:12:02 PM

actually English is the easier language to ANYBODY in the world... even you guys up there can speak it LOL

j/k

I don't know about that, have you ever heard one of our Presidential addresses?

hemi68charger

Quote from: chargerless4now on January 14, 2006, 12:39:00 AM
Puh leeze:  We've had enough of Jorge in office.

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 13, 2006, 01:12:02 PM

j/k

I don't know about that, have you ever heard one of our Presidential addresses?

Yeap, don't think the UN would appreciate our President telling someone to f*(& themselves.. Maybe that's why Jorge doesn't have a job...... Now, get Tony Blair with a few pints in an English Pub and he and Jorge can cuss all they want..  :icon_smile_big:

Troy
Troy

69_500

Well I can say one more thing about this topic, and that is this. We are doing an injustice to our students by only teaching them 1 language at an early age anyways. Children around the world are taught their native tongue, along with 3-4 multiple languages in schools, and they cope just fine. Growing up in Thailand, I saw Thai kids that spoke Thai, Laotian, Lahu, Lisu, and English, all by the age of 10. And I'm not talking talking a little, but all on the same level. The schools would teach them Thai, and English. They would have to learn Laotian, Lahu, Lisu, or other languages to talk to their parents, grand parents, or people who lived around in their neighborhoods, that were imigrants to the Northwest of Thailand.
Our school systems here in the United states are behind the majority of the advanced countries in this world at teaching anything, let alone trying to teach our children foreign languages. Not many schools actually challenge children, or make learning exciting.

TK73

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 14, 2006, 08:50:48 AM

Yeap, don't think the UN would appreciate our President telling someone to f*(& themselves..

The UN didn't appreciate our president telling them to fo f*** themselves 3 years ago...

TK73

Quote from: 69_500 on January 14, 2006, 09:33:39 AM
Well I can say one more thing about this topic, and that is this. We are doing an injustice to our students by only teaching them 1 language at an early age anyways. Children around the world are taught their native tongue, along with 3-4 multiple languages in schools, and they cope just fine. Growing up in Thailand, I saw Thai kids that spoke Thai, Laotian, Lahu, Lisu, and English, all by the age of 10. And I'm not talking talking a little, but all on the same level. The schools would teach them Thai, and English. They would have to learn Laotian, Lahu, Lisu, or other languages to talk to their parents, grand parents, or people who lived around in their neighborhoods, that were imigrants to the Northwest of Thailand.
Our school systems here in the United states are behind the majority of the advanced countries in this world at teaching anything, let alone trying to teach our children foreign languages. Not many schools actually challenge children, or make learning exciting.

:iagree: :iagree:

My grandfather chose not to pass down his native language when he came to the States, many of his generation believed that you should speak English in the U.S.  Not that Danish woudl do me much good in this country...

I don't quite understand why the schools I went to in VA in the 70s & 80s taught French, Latin and German.  COME ON, FRENCH, LATIN AND GERMAN?  A flippin waste of time in this country unless you're an interpreter at the U.N.  Spanish was the only one worth a flip, unfortunately that was also the one I didn't take...

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

TK73