News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Felx_plate Alignment

Started by tin_soldier, January 09, 2006, 11:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tin_soldier

Hey guys/gals,

I just recnetly put in my first 727 trany.  ;D

My trouble is that the flex plate an TC are not alignedd (see pic)  What is the best way to get this aligned??  Do I have to take it back out  :flame:

Some advice would be welcomed.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Keep spinning the TQ converter.....The bolts only line up one way.

Next time take some red spray paint & mark the flexplate & tq converter to ease in reassembly!

PS-- by the look of those converter bolt holes they look like they need a clean up!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

tin_soldier

What is the best way to spin the TC???  A big flat bar??

y3chargerrt

The converter should spin easily. If not you dont have it all the way into the trans.Chris is right about the bolt holes....They could use a clean up with a tap.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: tin_soldier on January 09, 2006, 12:51:59 PM
What is the best way to spin the TC???  A big flat bar??

I use a short angled pry bar and grab the teeth with it and pry against the flat area where the trans & block meet.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chryco Psycho

undo the bolts that hold the trans on the engine , even install some 6" bolts & slide the tranny back , the converter is not fully engaged into the trans , you will need to spin the converter & slide it in & out until it is in properly then slide the tranny back up to the engine , there should now be 1/4 " or so between the converter & flex plate & the converter will easily spin to line it up to the flex plate , also the bolt pattern is staggered so the converter will only bolt up in 1 position

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 10, 2006, 02:41:31 AM
undo the bolts that hold the trans on the engine , even install some 6" bolts & slide the tranny back , the converter is not fully engaged into the trans , you will need to spin the converter & slide it in & out until it is in properly then slide the tranny back up to the engine , there should now be 1/4 " or so between the converter & flex plate & the converter will easily spin to line it up to the flex plate , also the bolt pattern is staggered so the converter will only bolt up in 1 position

:iagree: If the converter is seated properly on the input shaft it will slide back and forth towards the engine. The snout on the converter has two square cutouts that align with the front pump and those have to be engaged or the trans won't work and you'll break the front pump. The converter should NOT be butted up "tight" to the flexplate if it's installed correctly on the input shaft.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs