News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who rebuilds thermoquads and what cost am I looking at?

Started by Dino, May 20, 2012, 08:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I know Demonsizzler used to rebuild them but he has quit doing them.  I found another but he's asking $400 + shipping and that's way beyond my budget.  I don't care if it's chrome plated, I just want it to be clean and running.  It's a 6545S.

I have posted about doing this myself and if I can't find or afford someone else to do it then that's what I need to do.  But seeing I've never done this before and my time is very limited it may not happen soon.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

471_Magnum

Key to rebuilding a thermoquad is starting with a good unwarped, uncracked core with tight throttle shafts. The tear down and reassembly is easy.

The 6545 is a truck carb. Not really calibrated for performance. The good news is that it is a big block carb with the 1 1/2" primary bores, and should have minimal smog junk on it.

If you can' find someone local, drop me a PM.  In a few weeks (after I'm back from the Power Tour), I can probably help you out.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Dino

It looks to be in really good shape, just dirty.  I know it ran when removed.  Po wanted an eddy performer intake and carb so the tq was stuffed in an, apparently, open box.

I'm just cruising this car, not planning on visiting a track.  That said the gain in mpg better be good if I'm going to lose performance over the eddy 1407 but somehow I doubt it will.  Which tq model would you recommend instead?

chargerbr549

Heres and interesting read on TQs sometimes they have a problem with a lean spot in the accelerator pump action, I have had some good TQ's without an off idle hesitation and had many with an off idle hesitation. http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=4672226

I have fixed warped main bodies the cheap easy way, I have had the upper back corners of the the plastic main body warp so I used some Loctite weld epoxy (like the JB Weld) to build it up and then when it cured I put a piece of sandpaper on a flat bench and sanded the body flat again so it wouldn't leak fuel out of the back of the carb. It worked for me

Kevin

Cooter

FWIW, Chrysler sealed anti-f*ck up inside those carbs. Once the screws are removed, it is lost forever and it's nothing but screwed from then on....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

Quote from: chargerbr549 on May 21, 2012, 12:48:56 AM
Heres and interesting read on TQs sometimes they have a problem with a lean spot in the accelerator pump action, I have had some good TQ's without an off idle hesitation and had many with an off idle hesitation. http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=4672226

I have fixed warped main bodies the cheap easy way, I have had the upper back corners of the the plastic main body warp so I used some Loctite weld epoxy (like the JB Weld) to build it up and then when it cured I put a piece of sandpaper on a flat bench and sanded the body flat again so it wouldn't leak fuel out of the back of the carb. It worked for me

Kevin

That's funny!  That off idle hesitation is exactly one of the problems with the eddy carb.  It drives me crazy.  Half the time when I'm in stop and go traffic I have no choice but to launch the car 4 feet ahead instead of idling there.

I guess it can't get any worse with the TQ!

Quote from: Cooter on May 21, 2012, 06:22:37 AM
FWIW, Chrysler sealed anti-f*ck up inside those carbs. Once the screws are removed, it is lost forever and it's nothing but screwed from then on....

So there's no way to properly rebuild a TQ?

Chryco Psycho

buy a kit for it , go through clean everything , the seals at the bottom of the wells are often missed when re-assembling it , go through with all the setting on it & tweak it & it should be OK what do you have to lose , having a factory service manual is a good idea . You may be able to slightly enlarge the squirter holes with tiny drills to get more squirt off idle .

Dino

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 21, 2012, 09:22:50 AM
buy a kit for it , go through clean everything , the seals at the bottom of the wells are often missed when re-assembling it , go through with all the setting on it & tweak it & it should be OK what do you have to lose , having a factory service manual is a good idea . You may be able to slightly enlarge the squirter holes with tiny drills to get more squirt off idle .

You're right, I have nothing to lose.  If I mess up I'm out a rebuild kit so not the end of the world.

Is there really that much difference between the TQ models?  Should I keep the one I have as a paperweight and find a more desirable model?

So apparently these carbs have a divorced choke that somehow works with the crossover.  I am about to install a new valley pan with crossover block.  Will this mean my choke won't work? 

471_Magnum

The later thermoquads have a bunch of smogger stuff on them that just won't work well on earlier applications.

Yours is a truck carb, that should lack most of the smog stuff you'd find on a passenger car carb of the same vintage.

The 72-74 thermoquads are typically the best for performance applications because of the reason above.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Dino

Quote from: 471_Magnum on May 21, 2012, 12:00:01 PM
The later thermoquads have a bunch of smogger stuff on them that just won't work well on earlier applications.

Yours is a truck carb, that should lack most of the smog stuff you'd find on a passenger car carb of the same vintage.

The 72-74 thermoquads are typically the best for performance applications because of the reason above.

I just read the same thing, took me a while to find it!

So about every TQ build after 74 has the smog stuff except the ones off of trucks so I should be good with the one I have. 

Unless the 72-74 carbs are that much better I'll order the Hygrade 657C kit and the choke pulloff and start playing!

If I do need to look for another TQ (72-74), which model numbers am I looking for?

200MPH

Charger

Dino

Chryco Psycho

Possibly the lack of parts available to tune them .
We bought 3 tuning kits off Ebay & still could not get a complete set of metering rods & jets to tune with

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

200MPH

i dont no everyone else's experience but my truck Tquad worked right out of the box! and it screamed!
Charger

Dino

Quote from: 200MPH on June 04, 2012, 09:45:06 PM
i dont no everyone else's experience but my truck Tquad worked right out of the box! and it screamed!

The box I got mine out of was for cookies so I think it needs a bit of work.   :icon_smile_big:

Anyone know off hand what the height of the TQ is compared to the Eddy performer?  Trying to figure out how much air filter I can cram in there.

200MPH

I do not know** When DS rebuilt my tquad it ran flawlessly  enough to pull about 14-15 mpg in my LRT and roast the tires at will with no hesitation.
Charger

ACUDANUT

Challenger340

I have always had great success with Thermoquads, IMO, probably one of the best Street/Strip Carbs out there.
Tuning parts/jets etc., can be a non-starter as far as I know, but I never found I needed them....

Nowadays,
High Performance Thermoquads can be found reproduced by Demon Carburetion
http://www.demoncarbs.com/1901.asp
don't let the 625 cfm fool you...if they are anything like their original forerunners from long ago, these will be screamers.

I've yet to test one on the Dyno, but this is a sound design for a Street Performance Carb, head and shoulders above the old Edelbrock/Carters.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

200MPH

WOW :cheers: i wonder if they are going to make bigger CFM?
Charger

Dino

$380 for that carb, not too bad.  I may have to go that route if my rebuild fails.