News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

$$$ WHO SHIPS ENGINES $$$

Started by Steve P., January 10, 2006, 06:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve P.

OK, I guess the real question is who ships them for a price most people can afford? I need to get a 440 from Vegas to Tampa. I tried a few shippers and got my socks blown off...  :o   I can just about drive my V-10 gas guzzler out and back for what they want to ship it.. Hell, they want more to ship a short block than an entire car cross country!!!!!!!!  What is wrong with that picture?? :icon_smile_evil:

Maybe I need to put together another cross country run..

Who needs what taken where and picked up from whom??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

6pkrunner

I checked into thi once. Shipping a 440 about 1500 miles. I cannot remember the exact price quoted, just that after I picked myself up off the floor, I realized that going on a roadtrip myself would be far and away cheaper. Rebuilding a core found locally was on par.

Steve P.

I would tend to agree with you on finding a local core.... BUTTTTTTTT,,, I live in the land of the old and wrinkled. 440's around here are worth more than gold it's self!! The last 440 I came across was a complete 68' carb to pan motor from a Newport or New Yorker and the guy wanted $500 for it.. I passed and the next guy bought it.. It had been sitting in a paint shop for about 15 years collecting dust uncovered and I didn't need one at the time..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

6pkrunner

Funny how time has a way of altering your perspective and outlook on things. The junkyard up the road from my parent's house used to make piles of 440s. Any given time there had to be a cluster of 8-12 or more. I'd get one as needed and be picky on which one. These were pre-cast crank days. Hindsight now tells me I should have snagged them all.
And that near mint 1968 Coronet 500 ragtop without engine/tranny that I cold have towed out for free and passed....... :rotz:

Steve P.

Oh God,,,,,,    Doesn't that make you sick?? ?? ?? :pity:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

69charger2002

hey steve, you already buy the 440? i just happen to be going from louisiana to daytona beach this weekend. i have a few 440's if you want to work something out
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Telvis

Hey Steve, I have a pool slide that needs to be delivered to Central Florida. Could you pick it up on your way back? I have one that needs to go to Alabama too. Maybe you could get them both. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Steve P.

Today I picked up the BILL OF LADING from my buddy that had DHL deliver his 299 pound skid from Denver for $100.17 .... I called DHL again tonight and asked AGAIN how it was possible that a smaller crate, BUT about 100 - 150 pounds heavier was going to cost me $924.00 more than the one they just delivered?? Again they said I was NUTZZZZ!!!!!!!!

I read the bill of lading to her and she asked me the name on the top again. I told her, (DHL). Under that it says, DANZA AIR AND OCEAN.....  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This is why!! She says....

Well Danza is closed for the day. I will call them tomorrow and get the real deal.. Now please tell me how the parent company, (DHL), is SSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more expensive.......  I asked the woman how much the exact same crate that was allready shipped to us would cost through DHL from Vegas.. Her answer: $984.00 ...........  It cost $100.17 from Denver!! :rotz:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

BigBlockSam

i was told that it would cost about $1.00 a lb. to ship a 440 from terminal to terminal. not to your door. a 440 motor weighs about 650 lbs. i think that was yellow trucking copany and that was 3 yrs ago. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Steve P.

Is that a complete motor or just a short block?? I am just shipping a short block. Pan to deck with steel crank, pistons, rods and caps. I'll have Mike pull the water pump housing, chain, gears and cam.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

BigBlockSam

thats a complete motor with intake . i think a short block is like 250- 300 lbs
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Mopar440+6

Steve, Just a thought. Might it be cheaper to ship two packages? Send just the block and crank (i.e.- the biggest and heaviest parts) in one crate and the pistons, rods and everything else in a smaller box. Something to think about...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

firefighter3931

Steve, check with Forward Air...my friend uses them alot and swears by them. We crated up a 340/727/8.75 rear and it was ~$800 from here to California. A little ole 440 from Vegas to Fla should be considerably less.

http://www.forwardair.com/

Ron

Ps. I checked on the website and they have terminals in Las Vegas and Tampa.  :thumbs:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Steve P.

Yup yup,,, Forward Air is the place VegasMike came up with too.. I'm going to give them a call in the AM.. I still have to weigh the damn thing..  I won't need the pan for a while. That alone will make the crate 8 inches shorter.....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

GTX

I'd like to hear what Forward charges. I ship full sized upright arcade machines from here in Utah back to the East coast and it's usually around  $150.00 for the biggest and heaviest which is about 350 pounds. I wonder how much it would be for a heavy block?
I pay a guy $125.00 to make a 6' x3' crate and deliver to Forward for me.

KMPX2

I just had a 392 HEMI sent to me truck & it was only like $200. It came half way across the USA. Also if the eng is going to be rebuilt have the shipper sent it in 2 lighter boxes . Grey hound Bus is a cheap way to ship

vegasmike

forward air told me 42.47 per hundred and 13% for gas,not bad at all

dodgecharger-fan

Can you dig up a parts car to put the engine in and just have the car shipped?

It might work out cheaper and if the parts car is of some value to you when all is said and done, you can recoup some of the costs.

Steve P.

Trust me, I thought of that too. It's cheaper to ship an entire car cross country than ship an engine with DHL.. Go figure........
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida