News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power steering gear still leaks after shaft seal change.

Started by y3chargerrt, June 11, 2011, 12:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y3chargerrt

My power steering box started leaking right above the pittman arm a while back.The box was totally dry except for right above the pittman arm. I ordered a seal kit. I pulled the box and let my mechanic buddy r and r the seal. After the change all was going well until I went lock to lock with the rpms at 2000. After that I noticed ps fluid on the floor. I restarted the car and ran it lock to lock while I watched. Its ok going to the right but leaks to the left. Right before it hits the left lock a little fluid comes out then it squirts more fluid when it hits the stop. After I move back to the right it doesn't seem to leak.The box is a steer and gear extra firm feel installed in 2001. My mechanic thinks it may be a valve problem cause a overpressure problem. Any idea guys? I will call Steer and Gear on monday to ask them.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I had a S & G box do the same thing to me...changed seal 2x with no luck.  They would last a month before they started to leak.  Either the shaft itself was worn too far down for the seal to work or there was some burrs/nicks where the seal would ride.  Got mine around the same time...'00 or so
Couldnt take it anymore & bought an NOS box (71 & up style that uses the different pitman arm)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

y3chargerrt

I figured I'd be buying another box before Carlisle. I'm not too upset with Steer and Gear. The box was great for 10 years (only 9ish K miles. Should I order a new one from Firm Feel? Ron