News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stereo on which side of ammeter?

Started by ChargerST, June 09, 2011, 08:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerST

I plan on installing a stereo unit with amp in my 70 Charger R/T. It still has the original alternator which I want to upgrade to a bigger one (90 or 110A?). The car already has parallel wiring (6ga) from alt to ammeter and from ammeter to battery (fused with 80A).

Should I hook up the stereo and amp to the alternator side of the ammeter or the battery side? On modern cars these thing are usually directly connected to the battery.

nascarxx29

Im thinking your gonna get varying voltage off the gauge :Twocents: Thats why most amps go directly to battery.Unless someone on here has done it and had no issues
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

b5blue

Alt. side, your gauge reads load draw from alt or battery so if you hooked up ANYTHING off battery side you would end up drawing through AMP gauge to feed it. I installed a Denso 120 amp conversion from Mancini Racing on my 70 Charger and love it. The needle is rock steady no matter what I turn on. My wiring is stock so the only thing I need to watch out for would be having a severely discharged battery as this Denso can put out 50 amps even at idle speeds. Many modern cars have harness wired different than ours, like GM's one wire alt. system. Check out:   www.madelectrical.com   for some good info.   :2thumbs:

ChargerST

@blue: yeah, I was thinking the same thing that I would have constant load reading if I hook it up to the battery side. On the alt side it would just show me the spikes if my amp would need more juice than the alt could provide, right?

b5blue

Yes, my modern alt. shows a reaction bip on the gauge as it reacts to an increase in demand then re centers as stable in very short order. The only time my gauge reads - is cranking as the starter motor draws off the battery. The gauge was never made to handle more than 10-15 amps and then only for a short time.

Nacho-RT74

black wire of the ammeter ( which is the alt side ), to keep correct ammeter reading
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html