News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help with mid-range to high RPM bog on 69 Charger R/T 440

Started by 69RTSEV88, July 05, 2010, 04:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69RTSEV88

Desperately need help, I'm pullin my hair out on this one.  My 69 Charger R/T with a mostly stock 69 spec HP440 falls flat on its face and starts to spit & sputter like its starving for fuel when I open up the secondaries on the carb and the RPM starts to build (cant tell you exact RPM as tic-toc-tach don't work).  Anyway, here is what I've got:  69 spec Hp 440 with stock 906 heads, intake & Hp manifolds flowing into TTI  2 1/2" exhaust with H pipe & Flowmaster 40's.  727 auto with 3.23 equipped 8 3/4.  The only non stock parts on the engine is a Summit cam .465/.488 lift installed straight up, a Mopar Perf electronic ignition conversion with the orange controller (system is only about a month old), and an Edelbrock 750 carb part #1407.  My brother was watching me drive down his street the other night while I got into the gas, and he said he could hear it breaking up and saw black smoke pouring out both tailpipes.  My immediate thinking is that its too rich in the secondaries because it only seems to run like this when they're open.  I went home and put smaller jets in for the secondaries.  Here is how the carb is currently set up:  .113 mains,  .101 secondaries,  .071 x .047 metering rods with 5" Hg springs.  Finally got to test it today and as soon as it got hot it started to run like crap again.  Screams up to high rpm in 1st gear, but as soon as she shifts into 2nd, its falls flat, starts to sputter and surge.  I let off the gas a bit and she starts to smooth out.  It seems to be worse as the air temp goes higher (its about 92 today) so this may have something to do with it.  So what do you guys think I can do?  Ive heard that the Edelbrock carbs are no good on these engines, but how can that be as they are patterned after the old Carter AFB's that came stock on these cars.  I'm running a stock fuel pump (came with the car when I bought it) with a new 3/8" line back to a new 3/8" sending unit in a new tank.  Could the fuel pump cause this?  Would a new Holley 750 solve this?  I'd hate to spend $300-$400 on a new carb and have it not fix the issue?  Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks

68 RT

My 68 r/t was doing the same thing my edelbrock was way too lean. I went up one step with primary jets, one rod up, can't remember which springs? I look tonight if I get a chance. Did nothing to the secondary. If your rods are lifting too quick it will go rich at mid throttle, check your plugs color too.
  :cheers:

68 RT

69RTSEV88

Just a quick update for future reference for anyone else.  I solved this problem,  it was the fuel pump.  I went to the Chrysler Carlisle show in PA and looked at a bunch of fuel pumps that venders had for sale and realized that my car had the wrong pump on it.  I believe the pump it had on it was for a small block or maybe a 383 2bbl motor.  It had enough psi to keep the motor fed under normal (not opening up the secondaries) driving, but when I stood on it and all 4 barrels were sucking in air and fuel it would suck the fuel bowls dry because the pump couldn't keep up.   Anyway, got a new correct 440 HP pump on it and it runs like a scared rabbit!  Thanks.

maxwellwedge

Small block pumps wont work. Pump must have been half shot. Glad it is tearing it up now!

69RTSEV88

Ok everyone can call me stupid on this one!  For the last 2 years I have been tearing my hair out (and I'm already bald) about what seemed to be this fuel starvation problem on my 69 R/T 440 at high RPM.  I have put 2 different fuel pumps on it, put all sorts of different jets, springs and metering rods in the Edelbrock 750 carb, tried the timing all over the place, plugs, wires, switched to a Mopar electronic dist.  You name it, I think I tried it all to get rid of this high RPM bog.  I thought I had it solved last summer with a new (but still stock style) fuel pump, but after rebuilding my engine this spring with a bit hotter cam and higher comp pistons, the bog came back.  Well today I'm happy to say after doing some very extensive reserch on this site I seem to have finally solved the problem.  Yes after spending several hundred $$$ and dropping a few thousand f-bombs, a  new $16.75 fuel pump pushrod solved the problem.  The one that was in the motor had about 1/4" worn off the cam end of it.  I really had nothing the reference it against so I just thought it was still good so I kept using it.  BOY WAS I WRONG!  It was too short to push the fuel pump lever far enough to keep the carb full.  Simply put, if you got an engine with a fuel starvation/bog problem and you haven't replaced the fuel pump pushrod, check to see if its worn out, you might be suprised.  Now Im off the burn the crap out of the rear tires on this thing!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks for the update & great fix!   Yes those pushrods were a problem a few years ago IIRC (Mopar had a bad batch of them where they weren't hardened properly)  I had one of those POS's in my 440 as well.
Lucky to have gotten it out of the block as well....heard horror stories where they would mushroom to the point that it wouldnt slide out of the block!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T