News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new engine and tranny install questions

Started by nrt69, May 04, 2011, 02:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrt69

Does anyone have any suggestions/tips on installing a new engine and trans?
im a novice and this will be my first engine/trans swap.
im going from a 318/904 to 360/904.

what do I need to look out for when mating he engine to the trans?
im thinking about painting the engine  bay while they are out of the car, any issues with removing the wiring harnesses?

JR

That swap will be a breeze.

My .02 is, take your time when removing the old drivetrain. Triple check all the wires, linkages, mounts, and brackets. It sucks when you have to back the engine lift down because you missed a linkage to disconnect.

Second, its 100x easier to install the engine and trans as a unit, rather than seperate. Ive installed plenty that way. I put the 440/727 in my 70 that way by myself, without ever touching the firewall.  I highly reccomend doing them together.

And yes, you'll never have a better opportunity to paint under the hood. Just be sure to thoroughly degrease it before spraying anything, as there is 42 years of oil buildup under there.

Good luck!
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

nrt69

decided not to paint the engine bay...yes ill probably regret it later.

JR,
i am interested in putting the engine/trans in all at once. how high was you car off the ground? at what angle? was he trans mount  removed?

doctor4766

Definately easier to have the arse end of the car up on axle stands as it will allow for the added length of the pair once they're mated up. The higher the better,and it wouldn't be a bad idea to chock the front wheels so the car can't roll.
You will need to have the trans crossmember off and a jack under the car for the transmission to rest on as it goes in. As it goes further under the car you'll need to jack up the back of the tranny to allow the engine to level out as it goes into position.
Whilst it can be done alone, I'd have at least 1 mate helping you.

And I'd reconsider painting the bay too. Much much easier at this point.
Gotta love a '69