News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just curious can I add a electric fan and still use clutch fan?

Started by WH23G3G, June 05, 2011, 04:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I'm just cuiours if I can add an electric fan on my 73 Charger 400 with a on/off switch so I can turn it on when idling or in traffic? Can I still keep the stock clutch fan too? Eventually it will have a/c it's already on the car, just need to get things broken in on the motor before I charge it up. 

RECHRGD

yes you can.  Just don't go too big and tax your alternator.  I run a single trimline fan mounted in front of the radiator and tranny cooler.  Tap power off your battery with a properly sized fuse then run through the firewall for the switch.  I use a thermostat controller set to turn on the fan at 180* and run it through a 3 position switch so I can bi-pass the thermostat if I wish.  Be sure the switch and wiring is rated for the current.  I've run this setup for years with no problems (with a stock type alternator) and only recently upgraded to a 100 amp alternator.
13.53 @ 105.32

WH23G3G

I've got new harness from Year One installed. I have to re-add my Thermoquad idle control solenoid because there is no plug in for it on the new wiring harness. I also want to add this electric fan. Is there a way to splice in without cutting anything too bad?

RECHRGD

Quote from: WH23G3G on June 05, 2011, 05:47:37 PM
I've got new harness from Year One installed. I have to re-add my Thermoquad idle control solenoid because there is no plug in for it on the new wiring harness. I also want to add this electric fan. Is there a way to splice in without cutting anything too bad?

The wiring in your harness will not handle the current needed to run the fan and I doubt you have the capacity in your fusebox either.  You'll need to tap into your plus side battery lead that goes to your starter relay and be sure to fuse it at the point of the tap.
13.53 @ 105.32

flyinlow

WH23G3G

So I should probably let a shop do that. I don't want to mess up all my new wiring. They will know what to add.

A383Wing

yes..use a relay and tap power off of the positive battery terminal....

I'm running 7 blade clutch fan and an electric pusher fan in the Daytona....no problems at all

WH23G3G

I'm running the huge 7 blade 20 something inch fan blade and a new HD fan clutch. I just want to add an electric fan because I'm seeing a lot of muscle car guys having them installed on their cars. I just don't want it to look too trashy under the hood with spliced wires all over the place from stuff that wasnt originally there.

A383Wing

it ain't gonna have a bunch of wires...only 1 wire is for power from relay, which can be put under dash somewhere. The other wire for fan is ground....

you can make it neat under the hood, just take yer time and do it right. If you can't do it or feel uncomfortable with the wiring, get someone with electrical knowledge to help

you don't want to let the smoke out of the wires....the smoke is what makes things work

flyinlow

Most relays are small about 1 inch square, four pin. Low current in , controlling from switch, low current out to ground. High current in from battery  (use inline fuse close to the battery) High current out to fan motor.