News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Checked out a Charger today...

Started by bakerhillpins, June 05, 2011, 02:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

An ad red 69 R/T with matching #s popped up on the Boston craigslist yesterday and I was on the horn in no time. I caught the seller away from the car (at a Stanley Cup gathering) and tried to get some info but he couldn't provide too much as he listed it for his brother and is a Chevy guy (Has a 67 Chevelle). So I took a chance and told him I would be down in the AM to see it regardless.

Well, 6hrs and 250mi later (round trip) it was a XP car with no fender tag. The guy selling was very apologetic and didn't really know what he/his brother had. The story sounds like it was mis-represented to them when they bought it (from Michigan). No big deal for me because as I was looking over the car and talking with him about what he had I realized how much I freaking love the 2nd gen Chargers. OMG, I had a pup tent pitched the entire time.  :lol:

So bummer on the opportunity but talking cars with a fellow firefighter and checking out a Charger makes me way happy.  :2thumbs:

It was a 69 XP29H9 car with a 440 in it and a Dana rear. Probably was an SE car as it had all the SE equipment except the wheel covers and badgeing. Wood grain steering wheel wasn't even cracked.

On to the next car.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Dans 68

Did ya get the numbers for Chris's registry?  :scratchchin:  Sounds like a fun trip anyhow.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bakerhillpins

Dawg... It didn't even occur to me to ask about taking the VIN down for that purpose. My bad.  :brickwall: It's part of my notes for stuff to do the next time. Ill email him and see if he can send it along.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 05, 2011, 04:47:11 PM
Dawg... It didn't even occur to me to ask about taking the VIN down for that purpose. My bad.  :brickwall: It's part of my notes for stuff to do the next time. Ill email him and see if he can send it along.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

You must have been pissed!  Usually you're on point with the info!  Sorry to hear it turned out to be a dead end.... :(
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

NHCharger

Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 05, 2011, 02:11:35 PM
OMG, I had a pup tent pitched the entire time.  :lol:

Glad I didn't ride down with you :lol: :lol:

Sorry it didn't work out. One day you'll score.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

nh_mopar_fan

I saw that ad. $26k?

There's on in Mass on Ebag as of a couple hours ago...

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 05, 2011, 07:44:40 PM
You must have been pissed!  Usually you're on point with the info!  Sorry to hear it turned out to be a dead end.... :(

Honestly, I wasn't pissed but seriously disappointed. He popped the hood as I walked over and I saw the empty screw holes and no tag and it was like everything came to a stop all at once. What are you going to do.  :shruggy: It happens. He expressed is regret and I just looked at the bright side, for once I was the first one there.  :smilielol:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

bakerhillpins

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on June 05, 2011, 08:29:50 PM
I saw that ad. $26k?

There's on in Mass on Ebag as of a couple hours ago...

Yes, the same craigslist ad.

The Ebag car is different. It's also not an original 4spd car as you couldn't get AC on a R/T 4spd, and while I can't make out the H51 on the tag you can see the blower motor on the firewall. What I can make out on the tag is Light package, SE, PB, 440 column auto...
The car I looked at today looked better to boot. I hate it when they spray color over the latch hardware.  :rotz:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Hissing Cobra

I just found the ad on Boston's Craigslist and the seller states that it's all original. How can this be if the fender tag isn't even on the car? I'll be in the market for another Charger at some point but I've really got to educate myself because it seems like there's a lot of fakes out there that are being represented as "original".

To quote his ad:

"1969 dodge charger r/t....automatic with 440 magnum motor....all original, matching numbers.....no rust or bondo.....body is absolutely perfect....interior is perfect.....the 440 motor is a brand new crate motor just installed along with 4 core radiator.....i have the original 440 motor, which overheated, and the original single core radiator....this car is in absolutely mint condition...looks and runs perfect......must see and hear to appreciate.....most chargers in this condition are selling for over $30k.....must sell, building new house....wife says either the car goes or she goes.....so after SERIOUS consideration, i've decided to sell my charger (it was a close call!!).....selling for $26k firm....not a penny less so please don't bother trying...if i can't get $26k, the wife goes!!....serious buyers only please.....if interested call jeff @ 978-423-8782....thanks"

1969 Dodge Charger 318/automatic - Gone and sorely missed.

1979 Mustang Cobra
Street, Strip, Show
306/T-5/4.30's
12.38 @ 111
August 2005 Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine Feature Car
April 2007 Modified Mustangs Magazine Feature Car

1989 Mustang LX
Stock Daily Driver
302/T-5/3.73's
14.66 @ 96

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Hissing Cobra on June 05, 2011, 09:44:49 PM
How can this be if the fender tag isn't even on the car? I'll be in the market for another Charger at some point but I've really got to educate myself because it seems like there's a lot of fakes out there that are being represented as "original".

The story I got, which I will say didn't sound like a load of :icon_bs: to me (I give the benefit of the doubt until I have reason to suspect otherwise) was they were just putting up the ad based upon their understanding when his brother got it roughly 2 yrs ago. He said that he was getting flooded with tag and #s questions that he didn't know how to answer and that now that he has more info he was going to need to change the ad. Time will tell.

Original only matters if that's what you want. Other than that all you really need is the VIN and a solid body and you can build what you want. I have spent many many hours churning though info on this site in order to educate myself and I still have lots to learn.  I still shoot through ebag and decode and play detective on the listings to help sharpen my skills. Ask questions, Ill certainly help if I can.  :yesnod:

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

PocketThunder

Quote from: NHCharger on June 05, 2011, 08:02:08 PM
Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 05, 2011, 02:11:35 PM
OMG, I had a pup tent pitched the entire time.  :lol:

Glad I didn't ride down with you :lol: :lol:

Sorry it didn't work out. One day you'll score.

Thats what she said...  :lol:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."