News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Info needed about headers.

Started by Mr. Lee, June 05, 2011, 01:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Lee

Hi guys, I am planning to buy myself some headers for my Charger but I really don't have the slightest idea wich ones to get.

So I need some info wich ones would be the best to get. Enigine is a 440, 750CFM carb and another cam installed.

Thanks for your help  :2thumbs:

Serge

Kern Dog

You didn't state which year model, but from 66-72 the fitment should be the same.
There are several types to choose from. For a stock to mild setup, a 1 3/4" tube is great. Hedman and Hooker along with the Summit racing house brand are the cheapest. In some cases, there will be fitment problems. You will need to test fit, mark the interference points, remove, ding and dent, reinstall........Sometimes it takes several attempts to get enough clearance to avoid rattles. You can call the header manufacturers and complain. They will be totally UNsympathetic.
The other option is to spend the bucks. TTI, Dougs and Schumaker make the best headers that I know of. THICK flanges and tubes, and they usually are routed clear of obstructions. It helps to have good quality motor mounts.

Al

TTI all the way, worth every cent
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

Mr. Lee

@ Red 70 R/T 493 : It's a 69 Charger / I rather spend some more and get it right the first time, so TTI should be what I need.

@ Al: You also recomment the TTI headers so should be good; what is your idea on the tube-size?

Thanks both for your input  :2thumbs:

flyinlow

I see you like to jump your Charger. The Schumakers have the most ground clearence.

randr

I'm Bored! what to do next......

Kern Dog

The 1 7/8" headers are great for mild to moderate engine builds. I have the 2" set in my Charger because TTI was out of stock on the 1 7/8" pipes when I ordered mine. They gave me a deal on these, so I went with them. Larger pipes will actually cause you to lose power and torque compared to smaller pipes when used on mild engines.

Al

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on June 07, 2011, 02:09:01 AM
The 1 7/8" headers are great for mild to moderate engine builds. I have the 2" set in my Charger because TTI was out of stock on the 1 7/8" pipes when I ordered mine. They gave me a deal on these, so I went with them. Larger pipes will actually cause you to lose power and torque compared to smaller pipes when used on mild engines.

:iagree:
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

Mr. Lee

So as I have a stock to mild setup, a 1 3/4" tube header from TTI should be it I suppose?

Serge

MSRacing89

Not sure of your budget my friend but we run a 550HP 440 with the 1¾" Coated Hedman headers.  Half the cost of TTI and they went right in for me.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

Mr. Lee

Quote from: MSRacing89 on June 08, 2011, 04:18:42 PM
Not sure of your budget my friend but we run a 550HP 440 with the 1¾" Coated Hedman headers.  Half the cost of TTI and they went right in for me.

Ok thanks for the info; I'll keep that in mind  :2thumbs:

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: Al on June 06, 2011, 04:22:43 AM

All the way with TTI, simply the best, and perfect fitment.  :2thumbs:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

471_Magnum

I've installed a couple sets of TTi's and they slide in nice and easy. Great header, but really pricey.

I've also installed a set of Hedman Elites. I put a set of them on a 383 and they required some hammering for clearance. Given the price, and the fact they are engineered for 440's, I deemed it to be acceptable.

Whatever you go with, make sure you start with fresh motor mounts and transmission mount.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

elacruze

Quote from: randr on June 06, 2011, 09:15:30 PM
Quote from: Al on June 06, 2011, 04:22:43 AM

Agreed!

+1

After 'saving money' by having my Hooker Super Comps Jet-Hot coated then paying the exhaust shop to adapt them to my TTI exhaust, I saved maybe $100 and still have the aggravation of them touching everything everywhere...

Fortunately I kinda like the looks of 25 years worth of dings and history.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.