News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drum to Disc Conversion (MBM kit).... Having MAJOR PROBLEMS!!

Started by D69charger, May 15, 2011, 12:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D69charger

Installed the brakes and during the road test the front disc brakes seem to be dragging.  It doesn't start dragging though till things warm up.  I also have very little brake pedal travel (pedal is SUPER SENSITIVE).  pedal maybe moves 1-2" and then its full lockup.  I know the brakes are sticking as the front rims were covered in brake dust after a short drive.... and they were a little warm also.

D69charger

I was wrong about pedal movement.... its more like 1/2" then full lockup....  can definately feel the car driving against the brakes and the rims getting hot!

HPP

Since it is a kit, I'd say contact the selling vendor and go through the install process with them and see if they have some recommendations.

Initial thought if you have a hung up caliper is that the piston/bore fit could be an issue, mounting bolts could be mistorqued or bent, mounting plates could have debris or burrs, or there could be issue with residual pressure in the lines.

richRTSE

Did you also change the master cylinder and distribution valve to disc brake units?? Maybe a problem with one of them... :scratchchin:

D69charger

What would cause residual pressure to stay in the front lines?

richRTSE

from here:
http://www.mpbrakes.com/technical-support/reference-disc-brakes.cfm

QuoteCan I use my drum brake master for disc brakes?
No, for two reasons. First you will not have enough pressure or volume and second the drum brake master will have a residual valve that will cause the disc brakes to drag.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: richRTSE on May 16, 2011, 04:00:54 PM
Did you also change the master cylinder and distribution valve to disc brake units?? Maybe a problem with one of them... :scratchchin:
I agree. On 3rd gen Chargers you also have to change the pedal linkage and steering column piece.  Same with C-bodies too.

D69charger

bobs66440

Quote from: HPP on May 16, 2011, 08:27:15 AM
Since it is a kit, I'd say contact the selling vendor and go through the install process with them and see if they have some recommendations.

Initial thought if you have a hung up caliper is that the piston/bore fit could be an issue, mounting bolts could be mistorqued or bent, mounting plates could have debris or burrs, or there could be issue with residual pressure in the lines.
I agree. I would call the vendor.

modmidget

I had this same problem (dragging disk brakes).  The further I drove the hotter they got and they started dragging really BAD!!!

The push rod from my booster was a little to long, so when I bolted the master cylinder to the booster the push rod pressed the master cylinder piston in just enough to put pressure to the front brakes.  If you don't have power brakes you would get the same results from the push rod between the brake pedal and master cylinder.  My booster had an adjustable push rod, so it was just a matter of shortening the rod (I had a local brake shop do the adjustment, so I can't tell you how much they shortened it).

richRTSE

Quote from: modmidget on May 17, 2011, 12:34:48 PM
I had this same problem (dragging disk brakes).  The further I drove the hotter they got and they started dragging really BAD!!!

The push rod from my booster was a little to long, so when I bolted the master cylinder to the booster the push rod pressed the master cylinder piston in just enough to put pressure to the front brakes.  If you don't have power brakes you would get the same results from the push rod between the brake pedal and master cylinder.  My booster had an adjustable push rod, so it was just a matter of shortening the rod (I had a local brake shop do the adjustment, so I can't tell you how much they shortened it).

thats the first thing they list in their online troubleshooting guide too:

http://www.mpbrakes.com/technical-support/troubleshooting-disc-drum-04.cfm

D69charger

Thanks for all the info guys.... I checked the booster rod and it seems to be a little long.  I am having a brake shop do the adjustment today.

By the way... I am new to the site and new to having a restored Mopar.   I had already tried talking to the kit manufacturer and didn't get anywhere.  I had a problem with a missing plug for the side of the master cylinder and called MBM.... have them say they would send me a replacement  and one never show up.  I had to figure out something here myself instead.  The local dealer for MBM is CRAP to deal with as well.  Didn't find out that though till after I had already purchased the kit.

richRTSE

Hopefully that will solve your problems. I used that same kit on my '69 Charger about 8-9 yrs ago, except I ended up not using the power booster/master cylinder they sent and used a Mopar manual disc master cylinder instead. I've never had a problem with it.

QuoteBy the way... I am new to the site and new to having a restored Mopar.

Welcome to the sight.  :2thumbs: There are a lot of great people and a lot of great info on here. Someone on here will always have the answer to your Charger questions. Hope you enjoy it here.
 :cheers:

ACUDANUT

It's a little late, but you could have saved a ton of cash and bought a set up from parts car, or anyone of us that has the parts to make the conversion.  My 71/72 Charger complete Disc brake set up would have worked on your Charger. !!

BigBlockSam

QuoteThe push rod from my booster was a little to long

:yesnod: yep, that's what it sounds like to me
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

ChargerST

Any updates? I have the same problem with the MBM kit.

71charger

Quote from: D69charger on May 15, 2011, 12:49:47 PM
Installed the brakes and during the road test the front disc brakes seem to be dragging.  It doesn't start dragging though till things warm up.  I also have very little brake pedal travel (pedal is SUPER SENSITIVE).  pedal maybe moves 1-2" and then its full lockup.  I know the brakes are sticking as the front rims were covered in brake dust after a short drive.... and they were a little warm also.

I have the exact opposite my brakes don't work real well at best I got half of my brakes
I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of bubble gum.

flyinlow

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 16, 2011, 06:58:21 PM
Quote from: richRTSE on May 16, 2011, 04:00:54 PM
I agree. On 3rd gen Chargers you also have to change the pedal linkage and steering column piece.  Same with C-bodies too.

???