News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OEM Hubcaps

Started by bakerhillpins, June 02, 2011, 07:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

One of the Chargers I am looking at has hubcaps that the owner thought were OEM. (pic) Well, they have to be the most hideous things I have ever laid eyes upon  :eek2: and as it turns out are OEM according to http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Charger0008.jpg. Never gave much thought to what Dodge offered as options for 68/69 wheels until I looked at this car though. Overall I am not a fan of hubcaps at all and when I look at what was offered in 69 I don't like any accept the dog dishes (and the road wheels which aren't really hubcaps). Which I really like but for some reason always equated to disposable cars on TV shows (e.g. DOH). Perhaps it's because they only wrecked up base model cars.  :slap:  68 wasn't any better http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1968/68_Charger0012.jpg. In fact I don't even like the dog dishes offered in 68.

So what, if any, OEM hubcaps do you like? Did your car come with them? Seems that they would be getting really hard to find since it most Chargers are wearing road wheels these days. Anyone know what the most popular wheel covering was?

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

69 OUR/TEA

69rtse4spd

Same as on (69  our/tea) on my 69 S.E. auto. Still have them, but am also not a big fan of covers.

ITSA426

I like the mag style wheel covers.  They look nice enough that some moron in a shop, when I was having tires mounted, put an impact on them without realizing they were wheel covers.  Chewed it up some.  The same dipstick had never seen LH threads either.  Lesson learned.

morepower

I have 5 stock covers sitting in my trunk right now...is thier actulaly a market for people buying these?
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

A383Wing

I need a decent pair of those "Mag" hubcaps....if anyone has spares that have not been curbed or dropped

our car below

FastbackJon

I used to not like how they look, but decided to go with them for something different as all other guys seem to be running the more common spinner style.

I really like them on my car!!

By the way, the pic you posted show 66/67 style hubcaps which were not available (and are not pictured) on the 69 dealer data book link you posted.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

bakerhillpins

Quote from: FastbackJon on June 03, 2011, 12:51:58 AM
By the way, the pic you posted show 66/67 style hubcaps which were not available (and are not pictured) on the 69 dealer data book link you posted.

Look at that. I didn't even pick up on the fact that the 68/9 caps have a fluted center.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Bob T

Had a set on my car for a while running with the "Grandad" look or Bullit look, and then happy to go  back to the magnums.
One of the women in our club has an XR-7 Cougar pastel yellow with caps and it just looks real slow  :icon_smile_big:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

morepower

i think those are teh caps I have...i'll have to bust them out and see
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

charge69

A while back, I found and bought a set of 1969 (correct part number) full coverage hubcaps for my hemicar that originally came with them as opposed to the dogdish style you see more of at shows. When I bought the car a long time ago, only 1 or 2 of the original hubcaps were there and it only had 3 on it but, it was mostly original otherwise. The new hubcaps were brand new, still in the original Chrysler box and still wrapped in Chrysler-marked paper. I just took one out to verify it and it was really pretty to look at. ;D :icon_smile_big:

I am still trying to decide if these should go on the car after restoration or be left in the box and use something else on the car. If I use them, I guess I will have to use the original skinny rims and some restoration redline tires too as that is what it came with according to the buildsheet. I still have all 5 of the original , date-coded rims the car was delivered with. Gotta admit, it would look more authentic with the full hubcaps and redlines but the traction would suffer and it would have the usual hard time launching from a standstill but not really worried about that. My Charger will be driven but no longer abused like this on the street. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Still trying to decide............maybe the originals as most people put aftermarket rims on theirs and I do have my originals. :cheers:

Sendero

When I bought this car in the mid 80's from the original owner. It had the 14 inch hubcaps on it. I have gotten quite a bit of positive comments in recent years on keeping the original shoes on. I think they are OK looking and add to a "stock" car appearance. Since the car is a column shift, the hubcaps are par for the course.

Alaskan_TA

I love seeing the hub cap & wheel cover cars myself.  :cheers:

For anyone that may not know;

Hub cap - Commonly referred to as the dog dish caps, these cover the center hub section of the wheel only.

Wheel cover - These are larger than hub caps & cover all but the outer rim section of the wheel.

TUFCAT

I sold the hubcaps that came on my car. I think I got $20 bucks for them. :P

tan top

Quote from: Sendero on June 03, 2011, 11:00:01 PM
When I bought this car in the mid 80's from the original owner. It had the 14 inch hubcaps on it. I have gotten quite a bit of positive comments in recent years on keeping the original shoes on. I think they are OK looking and add to a "stock" car appearance. Since the car is a column shift, the hubcaps are par for the course.

nice Charger  :drool5:   :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

morepower

yes it is. I love the 440 on the hood...but not a real fan of that wing on the car. But it is thier car and can do what they want! gotta respect that!

hemigeno

Quote from: morepower on June 04, 2011, 03:15:40 PM
yes it is. I love the 440 on the hood...but not a real fan of that wing on the car. But it is thier car and can do what they want! gotta respect that!

What if it was optioned for the Go-Wing?

Sendero

Yep...it was built Jan 5 of '70 with the Go wing option, wheel covers and auto on the column w/ buckets. The only option I added was the 440 decals to break up the orange a bit more.

Magnumcharger

I like this kind of wheelcover, although I realize it isn't for everybody!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

qwick68