News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help with Speedo *VID*

Started by chargd72, June 01, 2011, 08:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargd72

I finally got around to fixing my speedometer.  It hasn't worked since I've had the truck.  Now it just jumps all over the place.

What I've done:  
1) Took out the speedometer pinion, cleaned it, made sure it turns freely  
2) put in brand new cable with plenty of lube
3) I could easily spin the cable while it was in place with my finger tips so it doesn't feel like it's catching on anything
4) Hooked one end into speedo pinion gear, other in speedometer

And this is what I get...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEoRTODRZAM

It's in a '76 W200 400/727.  Odometer is turning smoothly.

Any ideas?

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

69rtse4spd

Just thinking here, could the square drive on the speedometer be worn out, letting the cable bind & then slip. Could the new cable be just under sized enough to do the same thing. If you have a spare speedo around, could pull the cable, hook it to the spare, go for a test drive while someone else watches the speedo.  :Twocents:.

chargd72

Thanks for the suggestions.  The rear drive at the speedometer locks to the cable well and turns freely but maybe testing the cable with a new speedometer is what I need to do.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

rt green

carfully hook the cable up to a drill. see if all is well on the top side. might be able to narrow it down
third string oil changer

chargd72

Quote from: rt green on June 02, 2011, 09:40:10 AM
carfully hook the cable up to a drill. see if all is well on the top side. might be able to narrow it down

Already tried that.  Speedometer did the same thing, jumped all over the place.  I assumed it was the inconsistancy of my dying drill.  Maybe it's the speedometer.

Rolling_Thunder

possibly the magnet in the speed ? 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

chargd72

Charger_Fan

Quote from: rt green on June 02, 2011, 09:40:10 AM
I agree.
My bet is on a bad/pinched/worn cable housing...one of those three.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

chargd72

Got it fixed. It looks like I was using too heavy of a grease. Cleaned the cable off and put lithium grease on it and it's working great now.