News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General Lee guys or Dixie Horn runners

Started by ChargerD100, July 17, 2011, 05:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerD100

not sure if this is the right area for this post, but I have a Wolo Dixie Horn on my '70 D100 pickup it worked for 2 months then sat for 2 years and now the compressor doesn't want to push air. any ideas how to possibly fix it? or should I just chuck it and get a new one different make?
Current Mopars: 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins, 1970 Dodge D100

My old Build Thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,82511.0.html

resq302

Try putting some oil into one of the holes for the horns where it attaches at the compressor.  That seemed to fix mine for a while.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

ChargerD100

alright thank you, I decided to to do a search (after posting) and found some other things I did that could also be factors hopefully I can get it to work

My old Build Thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,82511.0.html

MaximRecoil

Those dixie horn setups seem to be troublesome in general. If I wanted a dixie horn, I would skip the typical kits which consist of multiple plastic horns and a little air compressor, and I would rig up something far more reliable/consistent. I would find a good digital recording of the dixie horn notes and put it on a small digital audio player of some sort. I would then wire that into a small car audio amplifier (something like an unregulated 25W x 2 @ 4 ohms amplifier bridged to 100W x 1 @ 4 ohms) and send the output of the amplifier to a PA horn mounted in the engine compartment somewhere. This would give you a highly adjustable/configurable setup, and you would get a horn that sounded exactly the same every time (no weak or off-key notes because the air compressor wasn't up to the task at that particular moment). 

ChargerD100

in my buddies bronco we had a cb setup with a under hood mounted pa and when we wanted it wed put a cell phone up yo it and hit play but that was a pretty ghetto way of doin it, lol. i did find one horn thats a speaker and a control kind what you explained that plays it i just dont know how good it is

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ChargerD100 on July 17, 2011, 07:38:04 PMi did find one horn thats a speaker and a control kind what you explained that plays it i just dont know how good it is

I don't know how good it is either. If you build the system yourself, you can make it as good as you want to, plus you can find/use a recording of the dixie notes that sounds right to you. Every horn I've heard sounded "off" to me compared to how it sounded on The Dukes of Hazzard, including the Wolo horn setup that was supposed to be the same setup as they used to make the sound effect for the TV show. It even sounded "off" in the 2005 movie. So if I were doing it, I would rip the sound effect right from the TV show; assuming I could find an episode that has a clean rendition of it without any other sounds going on in the background. 

Brock Lee

Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 17, 2011, 08:32:16 PM
Every horn I've heard sounded "off" to me compared to how it sounded on The Dukes of Hazzard, including the Wolo horn setup that was supposed to be the same setup as they used to make the sound effect for the TV show.

That is because the horn sound was a post production creation. For the bulk of the TV show, it was a trumpet.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Brock Lee on July 18, 2011, 12:20:52 AM
Quote from: MaximRecoil on July 17, 2011, 08:32:16 PM
Every horn I've heard sounded "off" to me compared to how it sounded on The Dukes of Hazzard, including the Wolo horn setup that was supposed to be the same setup as they used to make the sound effect for the TV show.

That is because the horn sound was a post production creation. For the bulk of the TV show, it was a trumpet.

I thought they simply recorded the sound from a real dixie horn setup and used it as a sound effect from that point on. The analog nature of those horn kits ensures that they will never sound exactly the same twice, even from the same horn, much less from a different one. As far as I remember, every time they played the dixie horn sound effect on the show it sounded the same; so however they made the sound effect, I'm guessing they only did it once.

In any event, the only way to get a dixie horn that sounds exactly like it did on the show is to use the actual sound effect from the show. Since the entire series is on DVD now, this would be easy to do, assuming a clean rendition of it was ever played on the show. Usually there are other sounds going on at the same time, such as the General Lee's engine sound effect, though someone skilled with audio editing tools could probably isolate the horn notes from the unwanted sounds.