News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

where can i buy a complete restored heater box

Started by towscum, May 31, 2011, 01:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

towscum

1969 dodge charger 440 4 speed

DC_1

Look here
http://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/

More info here

[url][http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,13150.0.html/url]

There are a lot of other threads of this subject if you search

twodko

Yep, DMT makes the premier gasket sets for heater box resto's. If you have no box at all and don't have factory A/C on your car, maybe look into a whole new system from sources like VintageAir. Heat/defrost and A/C in one new well fitting unit.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

terrible one

I seem to remember someone offering restored boxes but they were like $450-500 for a plain heater box, no A/C.

Do what everyone else here did and get the master kit from DMT (all the foam, gaskets, rubber, and bolts you will need) and break it down and "restore" it yourself. If the shell is in good shape, just give it a nice cleaning, then remove all of the doors, panels, etc. and strip the rust off then finish to your preference, install the foam, and bolt it back together.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

towscum

tsmithae

I am about to go the route of DMT myself.  That and the steering column are my next 2 projects to check off the list.  I will be watching to see how yours goes if you beat me to it!
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

gtx6970

Non A/C boxes are not hard to do, just time consuming.

A/C boxes on the other hand,,,,, are not for the faint at heart

FLG

Bill,

Why are A/C boxes so much more difficult? I was going to do my A/C box myself but ya got my concerned lol

Chatt69chgr

You can now get pretty much everything you need to restore a ac box depending on what is wrong with yours.  The dual heater core is available, the evaporator is available, and the H-valve is available.  Of course, the complete gasket set is also available.  I don't know about some of the vacuum actuators.  If they were bad, you might have to get one off another mopar in the junkyard.  I bet the same ones fit about everything.  I don't recall if the large canvas style ducting on the fresh air intake end of the heater box being available.  That's the large diameter duct that is square on one end and round on the other.  And finally, I don't think the resistor that sticks into the heater box is available. 
But the whole heater box has a lot of parts and one would be advised to take lots of pictures during the disassembly process or you may never get the thing together again.

gtx6970

Quote from: FLG on June 01, 2011, 12:04:38 PM
Bill,

Why are A/C boxes so much more difficult? I was going to do my A/C box myself but ya got my concerned lol

A/C boxes are vacumm  controled and  have lots of little linkages and bell cranks that the non a/c boxes don't have, as they are cable controlled . Vacumm actuators are unique to I believe 66-70 B-body WITH a/c cars only. I'm not 100% sure on the years so don't hold me to it.
LOTS and LOTS of pictures are a must to save yourself a major headache later on

The large a/c duct on the pass side is very tough to find in good cond. , and it's a/c car only so do not damage it taking it out.

I have 3 A/C boxes here and only 1 of them has a good duct . And I have a guy chomping at the bit to get it

NHCharger

I'll agree the A/C boxes can give you fits. My 71 has a vacuum A/C box. I removed the entire unit this winter along with the water control valve in the engine bay and all the vacuum lines and heater control switch in the dash. Had EVERYTHING working on my work bench using a vacuum pump. Installed everything back into the Charger and all I get is air blowing out of the A/C vents no matter what position the switches are in :RantExplode: :RantExplode: :RantExplode: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

towscum

i ordered the dmt kit yesterday.im sand blasting the heater box right now.