News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Speedo doesn't work (handled)

Started by HANDM, May 30, 2011, 09:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HANDM

I've been dinking with the speedo trying to get it to work, after installing an good, old cable, it still doesn't work.

I've verified that the speedo itself is working by chucking the cable up in my drill and spinning it.

Once hooked up to the tranny it doesn't work........

Any ideas?

A383Wing

does cable turn when you are driving it and with it unplugged from speedo?

I'm guessing bad cable or broken speedo gear in trans

HANDM

No discernable movement, you're probably right about the gear being toast.

I have a couple spare 727's laying around........looks like I need to do some scrounging

A383Wing

before you tear into trans gear....pull the cable off the speedo and then pull the cable out of the casing....see if ya get all of it with square ends on each end....if not, then cable is broke

HANDM

Had a busted end on the one, replaced it with a good spare........

hemi68charger

Quote from: HANDM on May 31, 2011, 12:13:12 AM
Had a busted end on the one, replaced it with a good spare........

:2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

HANDM

The new old cable is in good shape and spins the speedo just fine while chucked up in my drill, when driving though, it doesn't work..... :shruggy:

nascarxx29

That just leaves one of 2 gears to checkout .Just slip cable out of its housing and see how it fits in tailshaft plastic gear opening

1.Is easy right on tailshaft where speedometer cable screws on theres a removable housing with o ring.

2 The other remove tailshaft.Drop drive shaft remove crossmember etc etc rubber mount and snap ring pliers tail shaft slides off
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

HANDM

Thanks, How much fluid can I expect to spill out of the tranny when I yank the pinion/ adapter?

I am also suddenly having trouble with the tranny not downshifting to first when I am stopped, I know that it is either a faulty governor or a sticking 1-2, 2-3 valve body or whatever.....

Question is, this being a newly rebuilt (ten years ago, never ran) is there some additine that may free up the governor or shift valves or whatnot?

Thanks again  :cheers:

HANDM

I just got through replacing the pinion and the speedo now works, I am unsure about the accuracy as it it raining right now, but I will let you know how it is :2thumbs:

John_Kunkel

You replaced the speedo pinion...what was wrong with the old one? if it was damaged, the plastic might have gravitated to the governor to cause your shifting problem

You need to know the tire diameter and axle ratio to determine the correct speedo pinion.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

HANDM

I suspect that may be the problem.....the pinion that I yanked out was/ is trashed, all of the teeth worn down smooth. Like it wasn't seated properly.

If I can cough up the dough, I need to drop the pan, drain the converter and see what all is going on.....

John_Kunkel

Dropping the pan won't give you access to the governor, it's in the tailhousing.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.