News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heat riser hole in HP manifold fix

Started by 68RRFlyer, May 29, 2011, 08:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68RRFlyer

Hey Gang,

I have the original HP manifolds off my Charger and I am getting ready to blast them and coat them with hopes of getting the restoration of the car started shortly.  The heat riser is missing totally, and there is now two holes where the stud went through to manifold.  Any thoughts on a fix?  Never thought about it, but can you weld cast iron or is the metallurgy different?  Any special wire needed?  I've seen cast iron bellhousings welded but just didn't know if my mig will handle it or it needed to be something heavier duty. Thoughts?  :scratchchin: Thanks!

Cheers :cheers:
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

y3chargerrt

Yes cast iron can be welded but it is expensive. I had my heat riser holes plugged and a broken off ear welded on. It was over a hundred bucks if I remember correctly.

elacruze

You should have an engine shop nearby who can use casting plugs to fill the holes, as they would for a cracked head or block. Neater than threading and leaving screw plugs evident.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Cooter

All you need is a couple VERY small Cup style plugs..Look like tiny freeze plugs, tap 'em in, then "Stake" the holes with a chizel...Done..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

elacruze

Quote from: Cooter on May 29, 2011, 08:36:42 AM
All you need is a couple VERY small Cup style plugs..Look like tiny freeze plugs, tap 'em in, then "Stake" the holes with a chizel...Done..
:cheers:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

68RRFlyer

Quote from: Cooter on May 29, 2011, 08:36:42 AM

OK, that sounds the best.  Where do you get them and what exactly is the "Stake" process?  Are you just basically pressing them in with the chisel and that expands the plug to crimp itself inside the hole?  That sounds like the best method there.  Would Napa or some other hardware store have them? :shruggy:

Cheers :cheers:
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

elacruze

I've never looked for any that small, but here's a manufacturer who would be able to direct you...might even get a couple freebies for asking?

http://www.fulfordmfg.com/cups.htm
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

John_Kunkel

The heat riser butterfly shaft doesn't ride directly in the cast iron manifold, there are a couple of hardened steel bushings pressed into the cast iron.

I would press the bushings out and tap the iron for tapered pipe plugs. Alternate is to plug the holes with conventional soft plugs.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bull

I drilled mine out and tapped them with a pipe thread tap on both sides; 1/8" I believe. Then I screwed pipe plugs down into the holes as tight as they would go, cut the heat riser shaft off and braized it in place with a chunk of nickle welding rod on the outside. On the back side I just fill welded the plug with more nickle rod and ground it flat. Then I had the manifolds ceramic coated and put the heat riser counterweight back on the shaft so it looks like it's functional.

Not sure how much you'll be able to see in these pics but...

flyboyedwards

I just fixed mine, and what I did was to put bolt stock (cut off bolt) through the hole, and used a tig welder to weld a "button" on both sides, of each hole. Grind flush, game over. No cast iron welding needed. Just welded the plugs "into" the holes, so it kinda looks like a mushroom, before grinding. This could be done with a MIG welder as well.
Best wishes,
Jason.

A383Wing

I just tapped mine and install 1/8" pipe plug