News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why did YOU buy/like the Dodge Charger?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, May 30, 2011, 10:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

My one kid asked, why do you like Chargers? Was it because of the Dukes of Hazzard? Probably...

But the 68-70 Chargers were/are one of the most iconic auto designs, EVER!

I've had both 68 and 69 Chargers and if I could find another 69 to paint orange, I would... :2thumbs: But only for my kids  :angel:

What is your reason for liking the Dodge Charger - and which body style is your preference?

Happy Memorial Day - and THANK YOU for all who gave!  :patriot:

JT01

Im 38 and grew up in a Chevy family but the Dukes is what got me into Chargers not just the General but all 69s

terrible one

It became my dream car at like 13 when my dad showed me the Bullitt chase scene  :yesnod:

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

twodko

I was always a Chevy guy particularly SS Chevelles. I couldn't afford an SS in the condition I'd want so we bought a 69 Malibu. We restored it with a 350/350/350 and had fun with the car in our early retirement but it just wasn't a BB. A good friend is a diehard mopar guy and had our 69 as well as a 69 'Cuda. The more I read about the early Chargers, their power, styling, nice interiors and becoming more and more hard to find we decided we had to have a Charger both for the car and investment. Sold the Chevelle and started pestering my buddy to sell me his car. He lost his passion for his cars.......the Charger was in storage for 5 years prior to our purchase after he finally gave in. Its fully restored now and, for us, its the ultimate classy muscle car.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

jaak

I have always liked Mopars, I think it was actually a '75 Dart my Dad had when I was a kid that really attracted me. I always thought Chargers were cool. When I was in high school all my friends were either Chevy or Ford guys, I was the odd on (before everyone had to have a Mopar). Right out of high school I worked with a guy that drove a '69 Charger to work and after seeing one up close, I really wanted one for a project.

Jason

71wrenchhead

saw one my neighbor had when i was 11, didnt know what it was, he let me start it on account of i was standing there starting at it, fell in love the moment the engine turned, actually fell in love iwth cars in general at that moment, a week later i had my dads ranger pulled apart down to the block, yeah caught flakk for that one, lol
Got slapped by my wife for keeping an engine in the bedroom........yeah, pretty much sums up my life

leeandgrant

My dad was always and still is a Road Runner guy. He got a lead on a 68 charger. He went down and bought it as an investment. When he brought it home I fell in love with it. I was ten. It was a blue 68 charger with a white vinly top and white interior. He kept it for a while and "teased" me with it. He ended up selling it. Since then I have bought and sold many 68-70 Chargers.
1968 318 Charger
1969 440 General Lee
1970 440/4speed Super Bee clone Project
1968 383 Charger project
1969 charger parts car
1977 Plymouth Trailduster
2003 Dodge Hemi Ram
2009 Dodge Charger Super Bee SRT
2000 Dodge dually diesel

tsmithae

It all started with the white Vanishing Point Challenger... From there, I've just always loved mopars.
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

purplechargerguy

When I was just a wee little tyke back in the late 60's my mom and dad had an old fury III with a 440 4bbl. I remember my mom smoking the tires more than once in it and I remember the sound and power.  My uncle had a 68 RR with a 383 4spd and that was one sweet ride, Later on a friend of mines dad bought a brand new 74 SE and I began to really dig the style of the chargers.  I bought a 69 RT in 83 but sold it 4 $500 when I discovered the frame was completely bent and rusty.  This was in the days when replacement parts were hard to find so I let it go.  Now I have a 73 SE but still can't wait for the day when I can afford a nice 69 RT.
73 Charger SE  WP29M3A227291

morepower

The only car I remember riding in from 2-4 years old was my dad's 69. When he sold it, I didnt think much of it when I was 5 or 6. But as time wore on, I saw his passion for the car come back. So he picked up a 68 in 96. I was a 5th or 6th grader then...He told me it was goign to be mine one day. He let me drive it all senior year to high school. Then I graduated and he gave it to me. I was like  :drool5: Rust set in and we put her down for awhile. But we are starting to work her over again. Hopefully back on the road in 2012
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

Iron Chef

Back in high school, a friend of mine named Aaron drove a '71 Charger R/T.  Hemi Orange, Auto, Air, the works.  I fell in love with that car.  Truth was, it was his mom's hand-me-down, and he never seemed to care much for it one way or another.  Went to work at a Dodge dealer after high school for a bit.  Been into Mopars since.
Most of your life should be "off the record."

daytona71

My grandfather always had Mopars. I wish I had any of the 50's-60's Chrysler cars he had now, always immaculate shape and very clean. I was into stock car racing at an early age, and around 13 years old, saw my first Charger on the Nascar circuit. I was hooked. I had a 68 383 auto for a few years, and traded it in on my 73SE (that was 38 years ago) The restoration has started

1969chargerrtse

I was 14 in 69 and went down to where all the new car dealers were almost every weekend.  I still remember the 69 Chargers on the showroom floor. Always wanted one since 69 and love the one I have now.
Simple as that. Still have my original dealer brochures.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

chargermike

saw dirty mary crazy larry and fell in love with them. and when i turned 16 i bought a 68 r/t. and loved mopars since. i have a 70 500 now. chargers just have cool lines. and am looking at a 71 challenger 440 car now. red with white interior.

Old Moparz

It's interesting where my love for Chargers came from since there was absolutely NOBODY in my family into cars at all. To anyone in my family with a car, cars were appliances except for a 2nd cousin on Long Island that had a late 60's Corvette who I hardly knew. When I was about 6, 7 or 8 years old living in New York City, (Manhattan) there were 2 cars in my neighborhood that I remember seeing regularly. One was a '69 Charger, & the other was a fastback Mustang, probably also a '69. Nice cars in NYC were rare, so these really stood out.

To me, both of these cars looked like race cars, & that's what I thought they were. I loved seeing them because they looked fast even parked. The Charger with a huge, chrome, fuel cap & awesome lines, & the Mustang with the hood scoop, stipes & rear louvers. Of course they could have been 6 cylinder cars, but I didn't care. My favorite dicast car that I still have, is a '69 Hot Wheels Charger in metallic purple. Later on I got a set of Aurora A/FX slot cars with a black & yellow No. 7 Daytona that became my favorite. At the time I had no idea it was a real car & had thought it was just some exotic race car.

By the time I was in high school there were 2 cars that were owned by a couple of older friends of mine, the same 2 cars I had loved as a kid in NYC. I got rides in both & still remember it like it was yesterday. One guy named Alan, had a '69 Charger with a 383-4V & a set of SS Cragars. It was light gold with a black vinyl top, automatic on the column, & loud. The other guy, named Rusty, had a '69 Mach I with a 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, shaker hood, rear louvers, that was red & black. Rusty was a nut & gave me my first hell ride in a fast car. He also owned a '69 Boss 429 that was all white. I know Alan eventually sold the Charger, but I wonder if Rusty still has the 2 Mustangs?   :shruggy:

So anyway, I've been hooked on Chargers since the late 60's.  :coolgleamA:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

ChgrSteve67

The Charger picked me.

Bought it 26 years ago and I have not been able to get rid of it since.

E5 Charger

I learned to drive in my dad's 74. Fell in love with it and bought a 74 Charger for my first car.

pentastar426

There was an old guy ( about 30) in my home town that had a burnt orange '70 R/T. I was 11 or 12 at the time in '71 or ' 72. I bought a '69 with a 383 when I was 16 in '76. Sold it to a friend in '79 and bought a '70 Challenger which I restored and kept until '92. Always wanted another Charger. I had a health scare in 2006 and decided that I really wanted another musclecar. I looked at second gen. Chargers for months. Finally found a green ' 70 R/T in ' 07.
I've done a full rottisserie restoration on it, it is about 75% done. Can't wait to drive it! This summer I hope.

Wicked72

Ive had many cars and the 3rd gen was my first mopar and for some reason that changed everything. I kicked my self every day for 11 years for selling it, in that time period I have many more cars but no mopars, I just looked for the right 3rd gen to make up for my mistake and everything came at once. Got married, bought another charger, and then bought a house. now a new job is on the way so then I can get the loan i need to get the beast moving forward  :2thumbs:.
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

bobs66440

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on May 30, 2011, 03:28:06 PM
The Charger picked me.

Bought it 26 years ago and I have not been able to get rid of it since.
You have to stop feeding it!  :icon_smile_wink:

Richard Cranium

When I was looking for a first car, I had somehow narrowed irt down to a Road Runner & a Charger (the good body styles, of course). A classmate bought a '68 383 4 speed Charger in junior year & I was instantly hooked.
I am Dr. Remulac

Back N Black

I was 12 years old and our neighbors son came home from the Army and he was driving a F6 green 68 Charger, i was instantly hooked and vowed one day to own a charger. So, i joined the Military and bought a Charger, still in the Military and still driving the Charger. :2thumbs:

purplechargerguy

Back n Black..  Thank you for serving :cheers:
73 Charger SE  WP29M3A227291

Plum Crazy 68

There was a kid in the neighborhood who was a spoiled rotten teen.  He had a white 69 RT in 1978.  He got mad one time and went up the street hitting all the mail boxes.  I couldn't believe the power and destruction this one car made.  Saw a few around town and lived near Riverside raceway where we watched them race.  They were race cars to me and I wanted one since the early 70s.