News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need some help with trans identification

Started by 72dodgecharger, May 28, 2011, 11:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72dodgecharger

I have been wanting to put an A518 trans behind my 440. I was at a junkyard today and found a 1993 ram 250 van two wheel drive with a 318. I was wondering if this was actually an A518 because when I crawled under the van to have a look at it, it seemed rather small in overall size. Maybe that was because I was looking at it while it was under the van or I just thought it would have been bigger. Thanks in advance for any help.

beenaround

Those are small block transmissions and will not fit a 440.Not sure if you can remove the internals and put them into a 727 case.

Troy

Quote from: beenaround on May 28, 2011, 02:33:35 PM
Those are small block transmissions and will not fit a 440.Not sure if you can remove the internals and put them into a 727 case.
You can't swap the internals since the overdrive is at the back of the tail housing. You can, however, use an after market bell housing to put one behind a big block.

I'm not so good at identifying them. I don't think the vans used a different tail housing than the trucks in those years (they did earlier).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

John_Kunkel

A '93 Ram van with a 318 should have a 518 (46RH), if in doubt the 518 pan shape is the same as a 727.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

72dodgecharger

Thanks for that info about the pan being the same on both tranny's. When I go back to the junkyard next weekend I will check that out. Thanks!!!