News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Speedometer reading crazy

Started by hemi68charger, May 29, 2011, 04:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
Just finished working on my Buddy's '69 Charger R/T instrument panel/dash restoration. We refinished the gauges with Dave P.'s decal set. Well, I've done a bunch of these and never had one do what Scott stated on the way home. Apparently it was reading full-out, like 150mph going down the road. The removal of the needle prior to the decal insulation went like any other speedometer refinish. I did notice something like a red ring of plastic surrounding the thin needle shaft. I removed the odometer to refinish it. It's removal, refinish and installation seemed to go flawlessly. When I finally reconnected the speedo cable after the dash was in, it wouldn't totally clip into place like they are supposed to. Maybe it's not all the way in and causing this?

Thanks..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

A383Wing

sounds like the magnet is touching the shaft ring inside the speedo and causing the full reading

randr

ohhhh!!! that steering wheel cover is laced backwards also!  :hah: cluster looks great! hope you get speedo fixed
I'm Bored! what to do next......

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection