News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How not to wash a Coronet R/T

Started by bull, January 09, 2006, 02:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Get off the hood you dork! Geez! Anybody know anything about this car and why this boob is standing on the cowl instead of a ladder? http://www.texas-jacksons.com/garage/68coronet3.html

ChargerBill

Life is a highway...

bull

Apparently they had just pulled it out of the brush to clean it up, but you don't stand on the cowling unless you enjoy lots of tedious straightening with a coat hanger or something.

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Old Moparz

Helpgagme's new all in one car washing & painting service.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

911bear

1974 DODGE CHARGER SE BROUGHAM - CURRENTLY
CARS I HAVE OWNED :
4 - 1969 DODGE CHARGERS
1 - 1970 PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY W/ COVER UP HEADLIGHTS 2 DOOR
1 - 1970 PLYMOUTH ROADRUNNER
2 - 1973 DODGE CHARGERS
1 - CHRYSLER CORDOBA
1 - 1984 DODGE RAM TRUCK

BB1

Delete my profile

chargervert

Hes not washing his car hes just takin a redneck bath ,so's he can get himself a date at the next family reunion! :icon_smile_big: couisn  LULU is ripe fur the pickin!

Hemidoug

If you think that is bad, check out these pictures of the same car...

Lots of cleaning needed here as well.....

Nice car after all was said and done . I wouldn't mind owning it.....

The 68 R/Ts are one of my favorite Mopars!!!!
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

chargervert

I have a soft spot for 68 Coronet R/Ts too, there was a bad ass Gold one around here when I was a kid! it was a 440 4 speed! it had black top,interior,and stripe!

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Hemidoug on January 09, 2006, 05:48:19 PM
If you think that is bad, check out these pictures of the same car...
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like he restored it once, then let it sit again. :image_294343:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

bull

It must have been built in late '67 or very early '68 because it's got an Inland shifter.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Headrope

I wonder if the car whistles when it's driven.
That's what has happened to every car I've known after someone stood on the cowl.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

moparsons

Dumb ass I agree with, but what makes him a red neck?

Just asking?

Charger_Croatia

'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

Dueppy

Hehe... cool pics...
I've just posted them in our german mopar forum...  :icon_smile_big:

Texas-Jacksons

Wow...you guys can be pretty harsh.  Moran, redneck, stupid....

I actually was very careful when I washed the car.  I guess I will have to take a picture of the cowl to show you guys that I did NO DAMAGE.  I would never stand directly on the cowl of any car, let alone my one-owner R/T.  I had positioned myself across the leading edge of the hood and the edge of the cowl.  I weigh less than 130 lbs, so you are not looking at some fat slob crushing the car.  But to reassure any of the purists out there...I'm sorry, and I won't do it again.

Now as for the R/T...it is now safely tucked away in air-conditioned storage.  Some of you recognized that it was an early model.  Inland Shifter, the Non-Snorkel Air Cleaner, and the lack of Head Rests give it away.  Sept. 5, 1967 is the build date and my parents bought it on Dec. 17, 1967.  It was put out to pasture in 1977 and 3 week later a flood covered the car.  It was semi-cleaned up again, then put back out to pasture.  In 1985, I was 14 years old and we pulled it out to start the sorta-restoration.  The car was completely sandblasted (no one did media blasting then), sealed, and painted.  I had a custom interior done and a NOM built for it.  I use the R/T as a daily driver for my senior year in High School and through 2 years of College.  Before it was too late, I realized that I had neither the time nor the funds to keep the car in the shape that it deserved to be in.  But rather than continue to drive the car into the ground, as so many of us have seen, in 1993, I pulled the engine/trans and parked the car in covered storage.  I wasn't the best thing, but it has no hail damage or water dripping on it.  Dirt it had, but dirt washes off.  I finished college, began a successful career, and have a loving family.

I lost my father to a heart attack on June 2, 2003.  He was participating on the Hot Rod Power Tour in New Orleans.  You can Reference Hot Rod Magazine, Nov. 2003 issue, PG 13.  Since then, my responsibilities have been greatly increased.  During this time, I have been in more of a peserve what I have mode, rather than trying to take on new projects.  Thus, I knew that the R/T needed to be preserved better.  I pulled it out of dry storage in placed it in a much safer arrangement.  The car will be rebuilt again.  The original 440 and 18-spline trans are complete.  I still need a Dana 60 (the only non-original piece).  However when the project begins, the R/T will be built with a more modern suspension and disc brakes.  For the purists out there, I'll be sure to keep all of the original parts.

Now you know the rest of the story.  At least I didn't slide across the hood like Bo and Luke Duke.
I have more pictures of our other cars at our website.  I guess I'll wait to see what you guys find wrong with them.

Sincerely,
Mark Jackson  aka: The R/T Cowl Killer

http://www.texas-jacksons.com/garage

8WHEELER

Yep you can tell its an early 68 model, it has the large un-silenced air cleaner, most people have not
seen one. Two of my cars came with that big air cleaner, I have seen rusty ones sell for over $300
I know its crazy.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

bull

Just for the record I only called you a dork and a boob. :icon_smile_big: Welcome to the site.

Brock Samson

Shakey

Welcome to the site Mark.   :cheers:

Good story!

4402tuff4u

Welcome to the site Mark! You have to admit Mark that at first glance at the photo it does look like you would cause damage to the poor Coronet. I still don't suggest it to anyone to clean a car like that. Especially pressure washing a vinyl top. You know those tops are not 100% water resistant - they are porous for the most part. Anyway, the car looks awesome and I take my hat off for you, you did a great service of saving the classic!! :2thumbs:

Oh the remarks like moron, redneck, etc........................that's all love! That's how we show our affection :D Welcome to the site!
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

MassCharger73

Hey Mark, welcome to the site. Glad you saw the post before I did, not that I would ever have anything derogatory to say. :D Nice car, great story. Hope you have the opportunity soon to re-restore the car.
1973 Charger