News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How not to wash a Coronet R/T

Started by bull, January 09, 2006, 02:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Get off the hood you dork! Geez! Anybody know anything about this car and why this boob is standing on the cowl instead of a ladder? http://www.texas-jacksons.com/garage/68coronet3.html

ChargerBill

Life is a highway...

bull

Apparently they had just pulled it out of the brush to clean it up, but you don't stand on the cowling unless you enjoy lots of tedious straightening with a coat hanger or something.

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Old Moparz

Helpgagme's new all in one car washing & painting service.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

911bear

1974 DODGE CHARGER SE BROUGHAM - CURRENTLY
CARS I HAVE OWNED :
4 - 1969 DODGE CHARGERS
1 - 1970 PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY W/ COVER UP HEADLIGHTS 2 DOOR
1 - 1970 PLYMOUTH ROADRUNNER
2 - 1973 DODGE CHARGERS
1 - CHRYSLER CORDOBA
1 - 1984 DODGE RAM TRUCK

BB1

Delete my profile

chargervert

Hes not washing his car hes just takin a redneck bath ,so's he can get himself a date at the next family reunion! :icon_smile_big: couisn  LULU is ripe fur the pickin!

Hemidoug

If you think that is bad, check out these pictures of the same car...

Lots of cleaning needed here as well.....

Nice car after all was said and done . I wouldn't mind owning it.....

The 68 R/Ts are one of my favorite Mopars!!!!
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

chargervert

I have a soft spot for 68 Coronet R/Ts too, there was a bad ass Gold one around here when I was a kid! it was a 440 4 speed! it had black top,interior,and stripe!

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Hemidoug on January 09, 2006, 05:48:19 PM
If you think that is bad, check out these pictures of the same car...
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like he restored it once, then let it sit again. :image_294343:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

bull

It must have been built in late '67 or very early '68 because it's got an Inland shifter.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Headrope

I wonder if the car whistles when it's driven.
That's what has happened to every car I've known after someone stood on the cowl.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

moparsons

Dumb ass I agree with, but what makes him a red neck?

Just asking?

Charger_Croatia

'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

Dueppy

Hehe... cool pics...
I've just posted them in our german mopar forum...  :icon_smile_big:

Texas-Jacksons

Wow...you guys can be pretty harsh.  Moran, redneck, stupid....

I actually was very careful when I washed the car.  I guess I will have to take a picture of the cowl to show you guys that I did NO DAMAGE.  I would never stand directly on the cowl of any car, let alone my one-owner R/T.  I had positioned myself across the leading edge of the hood and the edge of the cowl.  I weigh less than 130 lbs, so you are not looking at some fat slob crushing the car.  But to reassure any of the purists out there...I'm sorry, and I won't do it again.

Now as for the R/T...it is now safely tucked away in air-conditioned storage.  Some of you recognized that it was an early model.  Inland Shifter, the Non-Snorkel Air Cleaner, and the lack of Head Rests give it away.  Sept. 5, 1967 is the build date and my parents bought it on Dec. 17, 1967.  It was put out to pasture in 1977 and 3 week later a flood covered the car.  It was semi-cleaned up again, then put back out to pasture.  In 1985, I was 14 years old and we pulled it out to start the sorta-restoration.  The car was completely sandblasted (no one did media blasting then), sealed, and painted.  I had a custom interior done and a NOM built for it.  I use the R/T as a daily driver for my senior year in High School and through 2 years of College.  Before it was too late, I realized that I had neither the time nor the funds to keep the car in the shape that it deserved to be in.  But rather than continue to drive the car into the ground, as so many of us have seen, in 1993, I pulled the engine/trans and parked the car in covered storage.  I wasn't the best thing, but it has no hail damage or water dripping on it.  Dirt it had, but dirt washes off.  I finished college, began a successful career, and have a loving family.

I lost my father to a heart attack on June 2, 2003.  He was participating on the Hot Rod Power Tour in New Orleans.  You can Reference Hot Rod Magazine, Nov. 2003 issue, PG 13.  Since then, my responsibilities have been greatly increased.  During this time, I have been in more of a peserve what I have mode, rather than trying to take on new projects.  Thus, I knew that the R/T needed to be preserved better.  I pulled it out of dry storage in placed it in a much safer arrangement.  The car will be rebuilt again.  The original 440 and 18-spline trans are complete.  I still need a Dana 60 (the only non-original piece).  However when the project begins, the R/T will be built with a more modern suspension and disc brakes.  For the purists out there, I'll be sure to keep all of the original parts.

Now you know the rest of the story.  At least I didn't slide across the hood like Bo and Luke Duke.
I have more pictures of our other cars at our website.  I guess I'll wait to see what you guys find wrong with them.

Sincerely,
Mark Jackson  aka: The R/T Cowl Killer

http://www.texas-jacksons.com/garage

8WHEELER

Yep you can tell its an early 68 model, it has the large un-silenced air cleaner, most people have not
seen one. Two of my cars came with that big air cleaner, I have seen rusty ones sell for over $300
I know its crazy.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

bull

Just for the record I only called you a dork and a boob. :icon_smile_big: Welcome to the site.

Brock Samson

Shakey

Welcome to the site Mark.   :cheers:

Good story!

4402tuff4u

Welcome to the site Mark! You have to admit Mark that at first glance at the photo it does look like you would cause damage to the poor Coronet. I still don't suggest it to anyone to clean a car like that. Especially pressure washing a vinyl top. You know those tops are not 100% water resistant - they are porous for the most part. Anyway, the car looks awesome and I take my hat off for you, you did a great service of saving the classic!! :2thumbs:

Oh the remarks like moron, redneck, etc........................that's all love! That's how we show our affection :D Welcome to the site!
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

MassCharger73

Hey Mark, welcome to the site. Glad you saw the post before I did, not that I would ever have anything derogatory to say. :D Nice car, great story. Hope you have the opportunity soon to re-restore the car.
1973 Charger

ChargerRob

Nice Coronet R/T. Good Luck with the resto. Welcome to the site.  :2thumbs:
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

TeeWJay426

Nice cars, Mark! Still have the '67 GTX as well? Hope you stick around the site.... don't let a few 'critics' sour you on us. We aren't really a bad bunch at all.... just some like to bust cojones more than others.  :icon_smile_big:
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

blackcharger

thanks for sharing, and welcome to the site.

hotrod98

Welcome to the site.   We are a little protective of all mopars though, so don't take the jabs too personally.  ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Plumcrazy

Boy, the tone of this thread sure changed.  ;D

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Texas-Jacksons

Well, I'm glad to say that I actually feel somewhat welcomed.  Since we are in the process of rebuilding our website, I'll be sure to remove that picture so that no future bashings occur.

As for the R/T...timing is everything.  I have a 2 year old daughter now, so the timing is not quite right.  However, parts and pieces and being completed, tagged, and put on a shelf.  When things are more stable, the R/T project will begin.  I still have to finish my Father-in-Law's 1968 Road Runner and his 1967 Coronet R/T first.  Plus, I need to sell/trade off some of the non-mopar vehicles and items before I get to it.  Oh, the vinyl top was a poor quality reproduction, so I didn't feel to bad blasting it.  I'll put the correct one on it the next go around.

We still have our two 1967 GTXs.  Currently, I'm finishing a OEM spec rebuild on the numbers matching engine and transmission on the Blue GTX.  I have acquired a NOM 1967 HP440 block for our Red GTX.  That is my wife's car.

I hope you all don't mind that I don't own my Chargers any more.  I gave my 1967 Charger (plus a 1966 parts car) to a family friend.  He recently purchased a very nice rust-free 1967 Charger to build, instead of my old one.  So he will have two real good parts cars to build one very nice '67.  We also just completed a 383HP rebuild for it.

I hope to speak to you all in the future.
Sincerely,
Mark Jackson

www.texas-jacksons.com/garage

Troy

I always watch these types of threads with amusement because you never really know who is really reading them (or whose friends are reading). It seems to happen at least once every few months. It's a pretty small world - especially in the Mopar hobby AND this site is, after all, very public and indexed in many places.

As for the Coronet... it's near the top of my favorites list and I'll own one some day (68 or 69 but partial to the 68s). I weigh a tad over 135 and have also stood on the firewall/cowl of one of my Chargers on several occasions. It's much easier with the hood off so your feet will fit on the support instead of the flat top or vents. I figure if the car can withstand a full-on frontal impact with a tree and the hood only created a 1/4" dent in the cowl then I'm not likely to cause irreparable harm with my tennis shoes. ;)

I'm glad you found us any way Texas-Jacksons. :wave:

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

RT DAVE

Quote from: Troy on June 22, 2006, 01:37:09 PM
I always watch these types of threads with amusement because you never really know who is really reading them (or whose friends are reading). It seems to happen at least once every few months. It's a pretty small world - especially in the Mopar hobby AND this site is, after all, very public and indexed in many places.

As for the Coronet... it's near the top of my favorites list and I'll own one some day (68 or 69 but partial to the 68s). I weigh a tad over 135 and have also stood on the firewall/cowl of one of my Chargers on several occasions. It's much easier with the hood off so your feet will fit on the support instead of the flat top or vents. I figure if the car can withstand a full-on frontal impact with a tree and the hood only created a 1/4" dent in the cowl then I'm not likely to cause irreparable harm with my tennis shoes. ;)

I'm glad you found us any way Texas-Jacksons. :wave:

Troy

I sure am glad I'm tall enough (6'5") that I don't have to stand on my car to wash the roof.     :stirthepot:
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Texas-Jacksons on June 22, 2006, 01:25:36 PM

I hope you all don't mind that I don't own my Chargers any more. 
That's ok, there's plenty of others here who don't either. ;D
Cool story, sorry for the loss of your Dad.

Welcome to the site!  :wave:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

BB1

Boy... do I feel like a tool.  :rotz: sorry sorry sorry
Delete my profile

69charger383

Ya well, hes floating in this one :haha:
Mopar or No Car!

8WHEELER

Yeah, its a cable or a rope he is on. I almost bought a 68 exactly like that in every way, last year  :rotz: :rotz:
could not pull off the sale  ::) ::)  darn ebay..........

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Wakko

Back in high school I weighed in at 140 and used to stand on my hood all the time...never damaged it.  Now that I'm about 175 I wouldn't dare! 

Cool history of the car, surprised you didn't restore it sooner, actually.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

greenpigs

I don't think I could climb up to the cowl, not too fat, just lazy.

As far as standing on the cowl it is stronger than it looks but putting all your weight directly on it would be pushing it.

Welcome Texas.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Chargerguy74

When pressure washing I usually climb right up on the roof too, use my shoes to scrape off the bird droppings......jk
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

NHCharger

Welcome to the site Mark.
I just read this thread so I didn't get a chance to insult you. :icon_smile_big:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Steve P.

Welcome Mark. (You redneck BOOB)....    ;)        :cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

BigBlockSam

howdy  Mark. i think boob and dork are the two i like best.
  there aint no way in hell i'm standing on top of my car like that . one slip of the foot and oops, plus i weigh alot more than 130lbs. it's your car and you can do what you want.
i like the comic release of threads like this.
  i dig your car. very nice  :cheers:  Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Lowprofile

Quote from: NHCharger on July 01, 2006, 11:35:41 AM
I just read this thread so I didn't get a chance to insult you. :icon_smile_big:

Yea, what he said.  :D :nana: :D

Welcome to the site,bro.  O0
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Charger_Croatia

OK, I admit that I feel like cudahob3...Sorry

'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

Jon Smith

LOL back when my charger had a tatty body and they weren't worth as much we used it as a party bus to ferry people to the various parties going on at a large show at night, at one point there were 11 drunken scottish people riding around on the outside
, there wasn't a single dent or scratch on the car that wasn't there before when i checked the next day, just lipstick all over the trunk lid ;D
wouldn't dare do that now though

rt green

welcome to the site mark! ok, heres one for mark and all. you said you'll be replacing the vinyl roof with one that wasn't a cheap piece, and another said the vinyl wasn't that water proof. when replacing it with a good one, what would one use to prep the roof to protect it from  moisture? some kind of sealer? paint? both?a can of spam?  or do you call helpegx and ask what shade of krylon they use.
third string oil changer

jayco91

More Flip Flops Here Than A John Kerry Convention  ;D

Brock Samson

The parade float takes up 80% of the garage so i've been known to climb up to change a light bulb...  :icon_smile_sleepy:
They are nothing if not stout... theat cowl area is tremendously strong you just have to be extreamly careful and keep your weight over the stampings and corners ,.. and not wear shoes...  :yesnod:
great story, love the coronet...   ;)

bull

Quote from: Brock Samson on July 03, 2006, 12:50:08 PM
They are nothing if not stout... theat cowl area is tremendously strong you just have to be extreamly careful and keep your weight over the stampings and corners ,.. and not wear shoes...

Or better yet, be 100% cautious and don't stand on it at all. ::) Get a ladder and stand next to it.

BigBlockSam

QuoteOr better yet, be 100% cautious and don't stand on it at all.   
:iagree: :yesnod:

Brock Samson

there's no room for a ladder, i'd have to back the charger out of the garage and then back in.. that's work man!  :icon_smile_wink:

Steve P.

Ah,,, you don't need no stinking light!!!! >:D
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Headrope

Quote from: jayco91 on July 03, 2006, 09:15:36 AM

More Flip Flops Here Than A John Kerry Convention  ;D

Even more than that. There are more flip flops here than at schools in Federal Way (this will be really funny for the Washington guys): http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/story/5840334p-5197610c.html
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Steve P.

Yeah, I've been saying there something funny going on in Washington for years!!  :moon:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida