News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I am stuck!

Started by G-man, May 27, 2011, 03:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-man

Hi

My 68 Charger is still (3 months later) at the power steer place.

They asked me to source a Power Steer Pump for the 68 Charger, 383ci, 727 on the column.

They cant find one and they cant fix it because the way the actual pump works is broke and thus the power steer oil boils inside thus causing that loud BRRRRRRRRRRRRR sound while driving.

The only thing they did find was a second hand pump but even that one they would need to add a special cooler infront of it to keep the oil from boiling, which changes the original look of this all original car.

Can someone Help me find a new power steer pump?

68 Charger, 383ci 727 on the column.

Once this arrives, I can finally get my car back!

Thanks heaps!

70charginglizard

70charginglizard

bill440rt

Should be very easy to find.
Even if you get one over the counter, you can still swap the pump part of it into your original reservoir tank to retain the original look.

BTW, if your fluid is boiling, that might suggest a problem somewhere else besides your pump. Are there restrictions in the lines going to your PS box? Might want to change those, too.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

moparstuart

put a cooler on the pump
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

ACUDANUT

I would not worry about little things that "changes the original look of this all original car". A different p.s.p won't hurt the value. :Twocents:

1969chargerrtse

Here's what I don't understand. Just locate the pump that originally came with the car. It ran fine from day one that way. You can find the pump on the net for sure. There is no reason for these over heating issues?
I think there were two types available. Which one is yours? Post a picture.  I have a friend that probably has one.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

elacruze

G-man, where are you?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

G-man

I am near Sydney but the car is in Sydney.

The Power Steer is not the problem as tha was  fully rebuilt and works beautiful. Its the way the PSP that functions thats gone to crap. Its been rebuilt also with all new bushes etc but the problem isnt the bushes but the (some words i dont remember... something sleave or whateveR? - its a name that depicts how the pump actualy works, the system it functions under) thats whats bust and that aint fixable. Its to do with the way it slips inside or something thats gone and thus the oil in the pump boils.

I mean he can give me the car back but if I drive it like that it can/will damage the beautiful rebuilt Power Steer system. So its the pump that needs changing, hes emailed 100 people, only place he found was something in America and they wanted $1000 to 'fix' this issue.

So instead of doing that ,we figured we would just buy a new pump but apparantely its not sourceable for purchase.
hence they wanted the 1000 to fix it (in america). The guy at the shop is paying for it simply cause hes had the car for so long so hes just trying to help me out and said if I can find one, he will pay for it no problem. I searched the net, I came up with 0.

Sorry no picture of it... I can ask him to send me a photo of it though.

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

68r/t

The 68 should have the second pump that is listed above,  they are easily available.

aussiemuscle

Quote from: G-man on May 28, 2011, 07:41:51 PM
I am near Sydney but the car is in Sydney.
There's your problem.

have you looked at Valiant power steering components?

G-man

No I havent looked at Valiant components. I figured the USA being so large, they would be readily available to import... I had no idea it would be this hard to find something. Ebay is all used stuff, isnt there any NEW ones made?

Ivr checked Year One, Megaparts, BEA parts among several others and nobody has it.

For something so EASILY available I find it extremelly HARD to find

68r/t

Quote from: G-man on May 29, 2011, 08:44:54 PM
No I havent looked at Valiant components. I figured the USA being so large, they would be readily available to import... I had no idea it would be this hard to find something. Ebay is all used stuff, isnt there any NEW ones made?

Ivr checked Year One, Megaparts, BEA parts among several others and nobody has it.

For something so EASILY available I find it extremelly HARD to find

Of course your not easily going to get a new one since they have not been made for 40 odd years,
Napa, Rock autos etc have rebuilt ones just friggin buy one it is not hard.
They hardly ever shit themselves so there is no need to make new ones. :brickwall:

doctor4766

G-man have you tried Elko Performance in either Melbourne or Sydney?
Gotta love a '69

G-man

Doc, they were the first I tried. They dont have that and they said they wouldnt know where to get it from either.

Ive emailed the Napa parts website to the powersteer place.

elacruze

Give us a picture of what you need, maybe somebody on the forum can provide a known good used piece.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

moparstuart

get one of these it has a cooler and will stop your boiling 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE