News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What kind of Carborator would you suggest?

Started by METROID, January 15, 2006, 01:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

METROID

My Holley has given me nothing but problems even after a rebuild it seems to be a piece of crap (I'm not even sure if it was meant for my car in the first place). What models seem to work well on your cars and what other makes should I look into? I want good performance out of my car and would love to hear your suggestions I have a 1968 Dodge Charger with a 440 and a four barrel carb on currently and my price range is $0-$1,000 for the moment.

Silver R/T

what kind of carburetor do you have, what model. cfm
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chryco Psycho

I could be interested in the Holley depending what it is  personally I would use a Holley 800-850 on your 440

8WHEELER

The stock carb on a 68 440 HP engine is a 4429s AVS carter carb. I have had good luck using
them in stock 440 applications. If you want more power and might be doing some racing I have
had the best luck with a 780, 800 or 850 Holley, for a mostly street engine an 800 Holley will
work very well anywhere.

I don't know what carb you are running but it is either a bad application or a bad carb.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Duey

METROID, I'm looking for the same, but to replace a Carter Thermoquad.  There is info on this thread as well that you might find useful:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,8269.0.html

Cheers,
Duey

p.s.  Going with the Pro-form 850, $559 at Summit is pretty good for a fully tunable, improved HP 4150-style carb, I think!
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

RD

try the eddy EPS series if you want performance and not as much maintenance as a holley.  If you just want a reliable carb, slap on a 1407 eddy (750cfm) and let er rip.  she will perform well, and you dont have to worry about blowing out a power valve! :D  :yesnod:
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

dd44068

I agree with Rd I use a 750 edelbrock on my 440 runs great no hassel set it and run

Duey

Quote from: RD on January 15, 2006, 07:42:13 PM
try the eddy EPS series if you want performance and not as much maintenance as a holley.  If you just want a reliable carb, slap on a 1407 eddy (750cfm) and let er rip.  she will perform well, and you dont have to worry about blowing out a power valve! :D  :yesnod:

All the carbs I mention in my link all have power-valve blow-out protection...I'm planning on dyno tuning my Pro-form..then messing about will be a non-issue.  I'm just tired of messing around with my TQ...not sure AVS is any better, I noted the METROID said his budget was $0-$1000, so I'd go the extra bit to get a nice induction piece.  I suppose, if an Eddy works for folks, they should stick with what they're comforatble with...

Cheers,
Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG