News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

When did the model years begin?

Started by bull, April 10, 2011, 10:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I know this topic has floated around inside other threads here but I can't find anything in a search. So was the new model year date set in stone? Did it change from year to year or was it different from plant to plant? Basically I'm wondering what's the earliest in 67 that you could get a 68? What's the earliest in 68 you could get a 69, etc.? And what determined how this was decided?

A383Wing

I think August was the beginning of the new model year

Budnicks

Quote from: bull on April 10, 2011, 10:41:05 PM
I know this topic has floated around inside other threads here but I can't find anything in a search. So was the new model year date set in stone? Did it change from year to year or was it different from plant to plant? Basically I'm wondering what's the earliest in 67 that you could get a 68? What's the earliest in 68 you could get a 69, etc.? And what determined how this was decided?
I don't know for a fact what the actual relaese dates were but my first 68 Charger had a build date of Sept. 67  & a sale date of Nov. 12 1967 I have had a couple of B-Bodies, also a 68 RR post coupe from the Saint Louis Plant that were built in Sept. of the previous year to the Model year. I don't know what would be considered early, but I was told buy some more knowledgeable people then me, they were early build dates.  Budnicks
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Budnicks

Quote from: A383Wing on April 10, 2011, 10:52:48 PM
I think August was the beginning of the new model year
I think your correct, I seem to remember seeing comercials for the new model year cars in late summer before school would be starting way-way-way back when. You tube has some good vintage Plymouth RR & Dodge Charger commercials maybee there is a, date for release, in 1 of them.    Budnicks
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

resq302

I think the assembly of the new model year started Aug 1 of the prior year.  So a 1969 model would have start of production Aug 1, 1968.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Brock Samson

The way i remember it, the new car intros were between Oct. and Nov, depending on the Year, Auto industry strikes caused problems and delays, I remember the '70s Vettes and Camaros being called "'70-1/2s" because the strikes delayed the Model Yr. That's mostly forgotten now.
But in any case by the end or Oct. and beginning of Nov. the new car Advertisements came in the Sunday Paper, spread out over a couple or a few weeks. I forget when they stopped doing that.  :shruggy:

resq302

Well, my moms 70 chally vert has a SPO date of 9/28/69 so it is a good possibility that they started up tooling and production as early as Aug. 1.  By the time they reached the dealerships, it was probably either late Aug or early Sept in which case, they would be advertising them then, probably around mid Sept or so.

As always, any kind of strike or issue with the plant will delay the production for however long.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

69CoronetRT

Quote from: bull on April 10, 2011, 10:41:05 PM

In the 60's, Aug 1 appears to be the start of normal production but I've seen pilot cars SPDs in July. By about 72, the production years started to run about two weeks longer (72 and 73 Hamtramck runs from August to August making the earliest 74 model years have a mid August of 73 SPD and the late cars a mid Aug of 74). The SPDs seem to get pushed back after that to mid to late August for the earliest cars. Start dates may have vaired by plant.

There are two questions in there. We can determine the start of the production year by the SPDs but your real question is when did they go on sale or could be ordered. I remember September was typically the time dealers had their big new model introductions. So for show room cars, I'd say they would be available in very late August or the first of September. I presume if the dealer had all of the order info and forms in August and the customer knew what they wanted, you could probably order a car in August.

It would be great if more dealer sales and merchandizing info, which would contain the details you are looking for, surfaced and was posted.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

68X426

I'll toss some info (rumor, speculation too) into the mix.

I've read that the last B-Body out of the St. Louis plant (highest VIN) is dated July 17th. 6-17 was a Monday. Supposedly the plant then closed for 2 weeks for re-tooling, inventory stocking, etc. I've read that no production took place -- and -- I've read that management ran a "quick" line for testing and pilot cars. Which is the case? I would love to hear from someone who was there, Mopar or Brand X factories.

I understand that the lowest VINs all had start dates of August 1 and that the highest VINs were July 17 during the decades of the 60s and 70s. So, registry guys, are there any VIN dates later than 7-17 or earlier than 8-1 during those years? Barry?

Two weeks later it is Tuesday August 1st, 1967. Vacations are over, factory stocked and the first 68 B-Body is built. That's how I understand it.

I have personally seen and recorded a VIN dated August 1st, 1967, #100334. It was a Satellite, coupe, 318, bronze. Located in Sacramento, CA, it was thoroughly trashed, a few parts could be used. Were any of the VINs 100001 to 100333 dated with July? Or dated August and started a few days early? :shruggy:

Part 2: It's now Friday September 1, 1967, and the Labor Day weekend starts. I understand from my Dad, now deceased, that the models in the 60s always hit the showrooms on 9-1. Giant promotions. Even if, usually, they only had one new model at the store. The dealers begged to have at least a couple or three new 68s delivered just to get the orders started. Any '68 model would do, just to get excitment going (did they call it buzz back then?)

Mind you I was 10 years old in '67, so we need to find somebody who was there, to say when the new models were on the showroom floor (any 70 to 80 year olds out there?)

Thanks for posting this question Bull.  :scratchchin:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Mick70RR

My '70 Road Runner was made in August '69.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

b5blue

I remember "Order in August for September delivery" and as a drooling teenager watching the new stuff roll into the dealerships no later than September as the normal event.   :2thumbs: (I use to bug the crap out of my dad.)

bull

Good stuff. :2thumbs: Seems like the general consensus is Aug 1.

gtx6970

I've always been told the last 2 weeks of July is plant change over. with new model production beginning the first 2 weeks of aug.

a friend of mines 1970 Challenger convertible has a SBD of something like Aug 5 1969

Dodge Don

For 70 Chargers (all built in St. Louis assembly plant) the start was August 1, 1969 and ended July 10, 1970 when they shut down to re-tool for 71 model year.

Kern Dog

Often times the Model year of a vehicle was dictated by DMV statutes, which can vary from state to state.

UFO

Checking out the some of the 1969 press photo's,the most common date is "for release Sept1 1968".
"69 Truck ones are "for release Aug 25 1968".
Aug 1 as a start build date seems to be about right.It would give the dealer time to have some stock on hand for the new model intro.

Alaskan_TA

It depends on the model year & plant in some cases. They did not seem to have rules that applied to all plants, all the time.

I have found one document that mentions a June 1969 build for the Yellow Jacket (Diamante later on in it's life) yet the car has a scheduled production date of August 1, 1969. The invoice date is October 29, 1969 & it was delivered from Assembly line 1 to the Hamtramck Executive Garage (on site) for it's show car conversion, so why the late date on the invoice? I suspect it was built late, much later than it's SPD but we may never now some of this stuff.......