News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help with idler pulley!

Started by sixpack_sid, May 07, 2011, 07:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I have a 68 Dodge Charger and am putting in a 440 engine from a 77 New yorker. I don't want the AC unit on it because the 68 is not equipped for it. So I decided to take it off. Now I have nothing for the water pump pulley to put tension on it. I changed the water pump housing back to the 68 so I can get the correct rad for the hose to fit on the drivers side. Therefore, I have to also change the power steering pump back to the 68 because the water pump hose will not fit with the 77. I bought an idler pulley w/spacer but when I tried to mount it, it interferes with the alt. belt. Anyone have a suggestion of what to do. The alt is a single groove. If I buy a double groove, would that solve the problem? Or do they make a double groove pulley for the water pump? My pulley is 5 & 7/8". It's very close to the crank pulley, so I can't go with a bigger pulley.
Thanks for the help!
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

terrible one

If you aren't running A/C you don't need an idler. You should have one belt for alt and water pump (tensioned by alternator adjustment) and one belt for power steering ( tensioned with power steering pump adjustment)

sixpack_sid

But the water pump is not in line with the alt. so it won't work that way.
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

terrible one

Looking again the alt bracket you have looks like it could be the culprit. Check out some engine pictures using search and you will see the triangular bracket and spacers you need. Then again it could just be the alt pulley like you mentioned. But the way I stated earlier is how jt should work. Sorry I can't be of more help/ more specific!

sixpack_sid

I went to the junkyard this morning searching for water pump pulleys. I found one that is close but it's 1/4" off the groove for the crank pulley. My question is, If I go back to the junkyard and get a clutch fan, & cut the fan off and use the piece that bolts to the water pump pulley for the fan mount as a spacer, will that harm anything else on the water pump or other parts? Because then it would match right up and I wouldn't need to use an idler pulley at all.  I know I will need to get longer bolts to install the pulley and fan back on the water pump.

John_Kunkel

The alternator bracket pictured is strictly for A/C, it won't work with a single belt setup.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

terrible one

There you go. See there I was onto something lol. Stop messin with pulleys and get the right alt bracket :2thumbs:

UFO

This is what it looks like.
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?input=alternator+bracket&SM=1&SC=1
Should add.If there is none in your local junkyard,the repo's are available from several suppliers.

sixpack_sid

Anyone got a cheap used one for sale??

gtx6970

All New, and I wouldn't call them cheap, but I don't think they're priced bad at $48

A383Wing

that's a great price for all pictured above.....

you would waste more time and money trying to come up with each part individually

sixpack_sid

After spending $40 on an alt. bracket, the water pump still doesn't match up! (see 1st pic).So I went to the junkyard and bought a fan, cut off the bracket with the 4 holes in it and used it as a spacer to bring out the pulley on the water pump. (see pics) Then I also got a double pulley at the junkyard and put that on instead of the original single pulley. Cost me $10 for the whole thing and it works! See pics!

John_Kunkel

The A/C water pump pulley won't work with the non-A/C alternator mount, the correct pulley wraps back almost to the pump. The mounts and the pulleys have to match.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

A383Wing

you need the correct 2 groove crank pulley as well

sixpack_sid

I got a double groove pulley at the junkyard and put it on with the spacer I made.