News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lost key to locking lug nuts

Started by ChgrSteve67, May 02, 2011, 09:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A383Wing

so does Craftsman and other tool suppliers, it would be easier & cheaper just to pound on a 12 point 1/2" drive socket and use breaker bar to turn locks off....

that's the way we have done it for years.......

ChgrSteve67

You know me by now bryan.....

I never do anything the easy way and I always have to do it 2, 3 or 4 times before I get it right.

And I'm not going to show you or let you pound on my nuts.

flyinlow

I have wrapped Emory cloth inside the socket to grab better , then hammer tight.   :Twocents:

ChgrSteve67

Well I tried the back off tool and it was not hard enought to back the nuts off. (clarification: the threads in the socket were not hard enought to cut into the nut in order to grab a hold of it. Just spun round and round.)
So I took your guys advice and pounded a socket over the nut and took them off.
Used a screw driver to punch the nut out of the socket.

Mission acomplished.

Thanks guys.

-Steve

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

ChgrSteve67

On the bright side I bought some new air tools tring to get that stupid back off socket to work so it was not a total loss.

Now I just want a new torque wrench. The one I have now has the flex rod to tell you the torque, I want the one that clicks when you reach the proper torque.

-Steve

GPULLER

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on May 06, 2011, 10:46:13 AM
On the bright side I bought some new air tools tring to get that stupid back off socket to work so it was not a total loss.

Now I just want a new torque wrench. The one I have now has the flex rod to tell you the torque, I want the one that clicks when you reach the proper torque.

-Steve

Mac Tool man just pulled up, how much you want to spend.  You can stop by and pick up in a couple weeks. 

ChgrSteve67

GPULLER

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on May 06, 2011, 12:07:21 PM
I can't afford Mac Tools.

The have an easy payment plan.  Just give him $20 until its paid!

ChgrSteve67

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ODZKing on May 03, 2011, 07:31:57 AM
When you do get them off, don't put them back on.  The only purpose they serve is to agrivate you.
Because if someone want the wheels bad enough, they're going to jam on a socket and get them off no matter what.  If you think those things will stop them ... guess again.

The idea is that locks (of any type and in any application) make your property a less easy target for thieves. They are not meant to stop the person that specifically wants your property bad enough and also has the means to defeat the lock (because no practical lock can do that); they are meant to make the less selective thieves simply move on to an easier target.

Brightyellow69rtse

i had the same thing happen on my camaro. i tried pounding the socket on. i could never get it to stay on tight enough so i just welded gave it a couple good strong tack welds. unscrewed the nut then welded that nut onto the next lock. repeat till all the locks are off lol. little crude but it worked.