News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 Speeds and Automatics

Started by dpm68, October 01, 2008, 06:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpm68

Hey gang, I just picked up a 1966 Satellite 383, 4spd with A/C. I will post some pics this weekend. It's an ex-drag racing car and because of, the body is about as straight as they get. Here's the skinny: It came with a numbers-matching motor and tranny, but the motor is lunched. I happen to have a spare 440 and thought I'd toss it in, but what type of bearing do I need to convert that (AUTO) 440 crank to a manual one? I have heard of some Year One part, but am fuzzy on the details. Also, I have a transmission to frame/body mount that came from an automatic, but have been told that a manual trans will not sit down in it correctly - izzat true? It sure fits up under the Satellite nicely. Also, what's the best carb for a mildly built up 440? Inquiring minds wanna know...

Chatt69chgr

I think most forged cranks were bored for a pilot bearing even if they had automatics behind them.  But this may not be univesally true.  I don't think the cast cranks used in automatics were bored for the pilot bushing.  And I believe that your transmission cross member on pre 69 b-bodys were different in manuals and automatics.  I would do some searching on this website for "pilot bearings" and "pilot bushings" as there were some threads on here discussing this subject.  Then visit the Brewers Performance website and see what they have for sale.  Then make some measurements on the transmission end of your crank and call Brewers.  They are very helpful and knowledgeable and will have the answers you are looking for.

A383Wing

The 440 auto crank is not drilled big enough for the pilot bushing, it also is not drilled deep enough for the 4spd input shaft length....there is an "auto to manual" special bushing available, I have 3 extras here...but the input shaft on the manual trans will be too long, probably best to fix the 383....would like to see the fender tag of your car if possible....

Your A/C compressor mounting bracket from the 383 will not mount on the 440....head pipes may not bolt up either correctly

Trans cross members are not the same from auto to manual trans

Bryan

Ghoste

As for carbs, how mild and how driven?  My first choice would probably be something like one of the Edelbrock AVS clones in the 800 size (or are they 850?  either way).  But if it has a little more grunt to it or you plan to drive it hard and want to be able to tune it more sharply, I'd start looking at a Holley style carb.  With the four speed, a double pumper sized to take advantage of whatever cam and intake would make for a good start.

Joshua

Quote from: A383Wing on October 01, 2008, 09:39:15 PM
The 440 auto crank is not drilled big enough for the pilot bushing, it also is not drilled deep enough for the 4spd input shaft length....there is an "auto to manual" special bushing available, I have 3 extras here...but the input shaft on the manual trans will be too long, probably best to fix the 383....would like to see the fender tag of your car if possible....

Your A/C compressor mounting bracket from the 383 will not mount on the 440....head pipes may not bolt up either correctly

Bryan

Manual trans and AT crossmembers are different, but you "may" have the correct one, since yer car is a 4 speed. Does it have an AT in it now? How is it mounted? Most likely a modified 4 speed crossmember.

The only part that you'll need to put that 4 spd behind that AT 440 is the "special" pilot bearing that fits the AT crank, Brewer's and Passon have 'em....and you do not need to cut the input shaft of the trans....
How do I know this? My '68 R/T was an AT, and is now a 4 speed that I converted over, using all factory parts. :2thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Joshua on October 02, 2008, 10:44:02 AM
Quote from: A383Wing on October 01, 2008, 09:39:15 PM

Bryan

Manual trans and AT crossmembers are different, but you "may" have the correct one, since yer car is a 4 speed. Does it have an AT in it now? How is it mounted? Most likely a modified 4 speed crossmember.

The only part that you'll need to put that 4 spd behind that AT 440 is the "special" pilot bearing that fits the AT crank, Brewer's and Passon have 'em....and you do not need to cut the input shaft of the trans....
How do I know this? My '68 R/T was an AT, and is now a 4 speed that I converted over, using all factory parts. :2thumbs:

Joshua is PROBABLY right on this, but I have seen some cranks that aren't as deep as others.....so the possibility is there that you may need to cut a little off of the input shaft, you'll just want to measure. :Twocents:

PS That bearing you need is the same as a mid 90s dodge manual transmission truck. Go right to the dealer and get it .
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Chatt69chgr

I am going to use the crank out of the 69 engine that I had in the early 75 block I just got.  The 69 engine was in a C-body with auto trans.  I got the bearing mentioned from Brewers and it fits in the back of the 69 forged crank.  I also checked to make sure that the input shaft on the 4-speed would fit into the hole drilled into the 69 crank and it does and has not been cut off.  HOWEVER----------I have two auto cranks--one came out of a 75 imperial and one out of a 77 New Yorker.  I don't know if the Brewers bearing will fit these but I can see from inspection that the hole drilled in them that the input shaft on the 4-speed fits into is not as deep as on the 69 auto crank.  Of course, you can take your crank to any machinist and they could mill that out pretty easily.  The crank would have to be out of the engine for them to be able to work on it.

Anybody happen to have a Chrysler part number for the bearing out of the mid 90's manual transmission truck that they know is correct. 

dpm68

Thanks guys - I heard a rumor that as long as my 440's crank is forged, then the diameter and the depth are okay. So I went back to the garage and double checked and the 383 crank end and the 440 are identical. So what I'm saying is that the trans/input shaft that was pulled out of the 383 certainly looks like it will pop right in to the 440 with no mods. Now I just have to find the shifter rods and related parts for the Inland...

John_Kunkel

Forged automatic cranks are drilled but not finished reamed for a bushing. Some sources like NAPA have undersized bushings for unfinished cranks but the size on unfinished cranks isn't uniform so it's a crap shoot.

The best bet is the conversion bearing/bushing that fits in the converter register in the crank flange.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

dpm68

A383Wing

I put an automatic crank in my 4spd car..had to use the "special" pilot bushing....tried to install the trans....crank was not drilled out deep enough for input shaft of transmission.....had to cut some of the input shaft off of the 4spd trans....

Bryan

Moparbob

Quote from: A383Wing on October 02, 2008, 10:22:11 PM
I put an automatic crank in my 4spd car..had to use the "special" pilot bushing....tried to install the trans....crank was not drilled out deep enough for input shaft of transmission.....had to cut some of the input shaft off of the 4spd trans....

Bryan

How much did you cut off and did it work?
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

A383Wing

Quote from: Moparbob on May 16, 2011, 06:24:46 PM

I think only about 1/2"....been in there since mid 80's now....still working

Moparbob

Quote from: A383Wing on May 16, 2011, 06:40:06 PM
Quote from: Moparbob on May 16, 2011, 06:24:46 PM

I think only about 1/2"....been in there since mid 80's now....still working

Looks like at least an inch. Really any shaft the protrudes in past the adapter bearing is useless anyway. Guess I just cut what I need unless someone knows the exact cut  :shruggy:
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

A383Wing

yea...could be.....it's been a long time since I did mine.....