News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need a new job. Who is hiring?

Started by Inked_Ghandi, February 25, 2012, 02:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inked_Ghandi

Its all branches of the military. I'm an e4 with almost four years of service under my belt and that is all I'm making. And thank you scooter for that bit of hope. I wasn't trying to get instant gratification I was more looking for a project for the years to come. 
"It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning."

USAF AMMO

billschroeder5842

'02....If I were you....

Stay military till you get your 20
Get college degree
Get a job with a defense contractor

You will be set and like the others say it will happin mid 40's. S
Texas Proud!

nvrbdn

you can stay in the service and attend college. take a few needed courses to work toward a degree like say um :scratchchin: law enforcement, but also take the auto courses. when i got out of the air force i took classes at a junior college. had a 56 ford truck. when we did electrical the class worked on my truck :D when we got to engine rebuild class, i did my truck engine :D see where this is going? at the end of 2 1/2 years my truck was rebuilt and i had an associates degree in auto tech. you will learn and the car will get done :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

chargermike

i made 18 grand the last year i worked for someone. started my own business and now make 4 times that. but it took 5 years to build my car. every spare cent went to building the car.  SELF EMPLOYMENT is the only way. i never want a job again. and its been 17 years. and you dont have to have a collage degree.

Inked_Ghandi

I wish I knew a certain skill to be self employed. And I am not big on going to college. I would love to go to school for automotive and I've looked into but then I need to have a job to continue supporting my family. So that is why I want to go into law enforcement. I would get paid about $40k starting.

USAF AMMO

AKcharger

Hi Inked

My advice may seem a little rough around the edges but I assure you it's with the best intentions  :pity::

1st - You don't know how good you have it. Granted, each service & MOS/AFSC can suck, and deployments are hard, but from a pure job stand point the safety, security and cradle-to-grave support you have is unmatched in the world. From excellent healthcare to retirement that you contribute nothing to, to a world-wide recreational support system (Private "military only" resorts in Hawaii, Bavaria, Disney World ect) .  I retired this summer after 27 years in the Air Force and started work in the civilian sector...what an eyeopening experience. Ya' know how people judge job security? when they swipe their ID card the door opens! imagine living where at any moment the door doesn't open and you're unemployed...I know that was an eye opener for me.

2nd - Ya gotta pay your dues no matter where you go/what you do. Nobody walks in the door to ANYTHING brand new and make $100K, it takes time...you're already on the way up the ladder. Even if you did make a a lots to start paying for a family will always take a big chunk out of disposable income. I got my 1st Charger when I was an E-7, the 2nd as an E-8, restored them both and we have a ball with 'em. Bottom line you can't have everything all at once, do what you can with what you got.

3rd You make a LOT more than you think - Why? because you only pay taxes on about half your income (you're only taxed on base pay), you get a tax free allowance for housing AND food. In addition to a myriad of other allowances depending on what ya' do.  Oh, and if you live on base, free electric/water/heat (though you loose BAH). Deployed? then remember Base pay tax free + Family Sep/Hostile fire.

You still with me? good :-) Lets run you're numbers:

E-4 at 3 years is $2157.30 a month
Your married, so here comes the housing $$$ (I used Alamogordo BAH) $918.00
And don't forget food! $346.50

OK, so that's 3421.80 a month or $41,061.60 a year

OK, not done yet...you said you were deployed. So lets figure typical 4 month AEF deployment:
- Add $225 a month hostile fire
- Family separation $100 (but starts after 30 days so just 3 months worth)
- Per Diem $105
- Tax free pay about $345
So add in another $775 a month or $3000 a year. Add that to the above and you're making $44,000 a year...Not too bad for a 22-23 year old guy who walked in to the recruiters off the street with no training at all

I think the issue isn't $$, it's spending. The family support center can help you make a budget (again for free) to cover the bills, keep wife happy AND get you're charger fixed.  If you didn't tune me out by now good work  :2thumbs:

CMSgt (ret.) Bill Holm
questions...PM me

Inked_Ghandi

Ok put it that way it makes sense. I was going off of what mypay was showing my ytd earnings as. Something somewhere isn't right then. Also maybe I am not seeing most of this money because my wife seems to make it all disappear. Without spending a dime.  :shruggy: And somehow when I am over here with nothing to buy, I spend it all. I do appreciate your input about staying in but it just doesn't seem to be for me. I have heard lots of people say that staying in is the way to go. But I feel that I am being held back from doing something bigger and better while sitting here.

USAF AMMO

AKcharger

Quote from: Inked_Ghandi on February 26, 2012, 02:05:57 PM
Also maybe I am not seeing most of this money because my wife seems to make it all disappear...
I can relate...trust me  :lol:

The military isn't the end-all be-all, but unfortunatly way too many people realize the good stuff after it's too late and their out. On the other side of the coin is there is life after the air force. Yes you can do well, and yes you can even (occasionally) make a LOT of $$$. Just do your homework and talk to some people that recently got out to see what they say. Oh, and do not underestimate the impact of INCOME TAX!

Be safe and keep us posted on the car!

"If you aint' ammo....you're waiting on 'em"   ;)

Inked_Ghandi

Also my wife is getting out to go to college so she can get a better job. So I think i love my wife more than the military so I am going to get out of this little new Mexico town. Everyone in the military knows Clovis is the end of your career. You aren't going anywhere else after that. I want better for my family. So i guess it comes down to, I need advice on how all you self employed people got started. My wife would like to start her own business and if things don't work out for me, I would also like to do my own thing also.

USAF AMMO

twodko

CMSgt, as I would expect from an E-8, you have brought Derek's very good position to light in no uncertain terms.
Derek you're ONLY 22, give yourself a break. I had a Senior Chief Petty officer as my division chief before I got out. Shooting the breeze one day he told me, "Maintain an even strain, pull your own weight, believe in yourself and go to school when you get out". To say these were sage words is the mother of all understatements. Your future is what you make of it.........yeah I know it's a worn cliche, but true none the less. Take advantage of every educational opportunity the AF offers while you're in, take one JC course (general Ed stuff to get it out of the way) per semester or a weekend class per semester for transfer credits. As a vet you'll only pay resident tuition and the military will pay for books etc. Plus on going education you have initiated looks mighty good when your E5 opportunity rolls around.  You got the world by the ass Airman, don't let go!

CMSgt......permission to secure for the day?
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Inked_Ghandi

Well if i planned on going back to school it was going to be in Texas. That is where I am still a resident. I guess my problem is I try to have everything planned out with a shaky back up plan. While I may live every day of my life care free I still like to know where my life is headed based on my decisions. Like I mentioned earlier I am also going to get out to give my wife the opportunity she wants/deserves to do something with her life too. And with me staying in the military past my 6 year enlistment won't allow that to happen.

USAF AMMO

AKcharger

Quote from: twodko on February 26, 2012, 03:22:03 PM
CMSgt......permission to secure for the day?

"Carry on"  ;D

Inked, making the wife/family happy is paramount. If your wife is seeking a separate career then staying in might be hard, I've seen the situation play out where wife has one career and hubby has another. Unless wife's career is mobile...it doesn't always end well. If you're intent on punching out, make sure you get as much school as you can in the time left, also credentials. There are MANY fracieses that love the military and you can get a small business loan for part of the cost. Good source is "G.I. Jobs" it's a magazine with lots of good info (I think subscriptions are...you guessed it...Free). If you go that route pick something with little to no employees to keep cost down. A friend (retired MSgt) did that after he got out. bought a "Mr. doughnut" or something to make extra money selling doughnuts at hockey games and events at the stadium here in Anchorage. Well, fast forward 10 years and he has a booth now and sells burritos, clears $250K+ a year and works about 30 days out of the year.

Couple of last thoughts:
- Don't believe that crap about Cannon, I've been hearing that since they had F-111's in the 80's, and plenty of fellow Chiefs were stationed there.
  The base you're at ALWAYS sucks...it's your last base and next base that are always the best  :yesnod:
- The cream ALWAYS rises to the top, do a good job and you'll excel no matter where you are.
- The end game is worth it. I know how you feel: "20 years is so far off, I gotta worry about now" While true, I can not express the freedom I
  have being able to do anything I want now and not worry about how much I make. And if I go to work and my card doesn't open the door, I'd just
  go home and pack for a vacation
- If you're not already, take advantage of the 9/11 G.I. bill, I'm pretty sure it ain't going to be around much longer
- You'll never have time to go to school after work...but make yourself go. You'll never have money left over to save...but make an allotment to a separate account and make yourself save. You want to make do with that small block in your Charger, but you have to make a big block fit! (go 400 stroker)

Inked_Ghandi

The car has the 440. I could not get myself to get a small block. Hell I felt I had to settle for an automatic. And thank you for that info about the magazine. I will let my wife know about it so she can get ideas.

USAF AMMO

Rolling_Thunder

Inked - what's your MOS?   

Everything AK said is true - My friend is in 10 years USMC as a E-7 currently on his way to O-1 via Annapolis. (Former Force Recon)
My other friend is E-6 USAF as a TACP (Former CCT)

They have both been approached by PMCs and offered $$$$

Another friend works for a PMC overseas - making $750 a day

It all depends on your skills and military training.       

Stop being so hard on yourself bro - you have your whole life to make and spend money.   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip