News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Original R/T General Lee being Restored and Sold???

Started by spfury, January 02, 2007, 10:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spfury

I didn't think any of the cars wasted on that show was a real R/T.  This dealer is supposedly restoring an original General Lee that is supposed to be a factory R/T 4 speed car (See Links).  The write-up the author provides on this car and others seem to be on a seventh grade level so I would put little trust in their claim. 

http://hlpag.com/thetopdogoriggenlee.htm

http://hlpag.com/

BlueSS454

There were a couple real R/T cars used on the show.  If you look closely at some of the random shots of the car's grille up close, you can see an R/T emblem painted black.  Do a search on HLPAG on this site and you'll find some interesting reading  (none of it positive).  Also by the way, my 69 will be wearing the 01 decals on it when it's done, does that make me a redneck?  It's also correctly detailed as far as being stock with 2 minor changes, exhaust and wheels/tires.  Would I do it to a numbers matching R/T car, nope, but mine isn't so this is what I'm doing with it.
Tom Rightler

spfury

Quote from: BlueSS454 on January 02, 2007, 10:55:30 PM
There were a couple real R/T cars used on the show.  If you look closely at some of the random shots of the car's grille up close, you can see an R/T emblem painted black.  Do a search on HLPAG on this site and you'll find some interesting reading  (none of it positive).  Also by the way, my 69 will be wearing the 01 decals on it when it's done, does that make me a redneck?  It's also correctly detailed as far as being stock with 2 minor changes, exhaust and wheels/tires.  Would I do it to a numbers matching R/T car, nope, but mine isn't so this is what I'm doing with it.

Actually I apologize for the redneck comment and deleted it, I was really referring to the clapped out beat up 01 Chargers represented on their site and the local one (that was the image I had in my head).  I did like the car that Kenny Wayne Shephard had built, it did turn out nice.  If someone built a tastefully done replica that was actually clean it would make a nice car but not necessarily my cup of tea.  I really didn't mean to insult anyones car, Lord knows I have done things to the car that I am currently building that others would disagree with.  Actually now that you mention the blacked out emblem, I do remember seeing that once but figured (hoped) it was an R/T grill in a regular Charger.  Again, sorry of the comments.

4cruzin

I would not believe anything that those hlpag people say.   :flame:   Stay clear!  :yesnod:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Troy

They (Warner Brothers) swapped so many grills it would be hard to know if every one you see was attached to a real R/T. I'm sure there were some R/Ts in the mix though. Back then these cars were cheap and more readily available. The HLPAG people are mostly just trying to make a buck (or several) off the popularity of the show and the dreams of the people who want to own a General Lee. It's a shame they actually get their hands on some of the more desirable cars.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Brock Samson

welcome to the site!
"Redneck" Is a term that appears here more often than not...
it's ok though, we like compliments!  :icon_smile_big:

JimShine

The thing that gets me is that it is a 4 speed car. There were only a handful of 4 speeds on the show. Infact John Schneider never encountered one while he was there (and he is a big Charger fan). The mechanics only remember half a dozen or so used as 2nd unit cars. Rich Sephton told me the scouts were actually discouraged from buying them.

Arkgl01

I think that car might be one of those cars that was behind someones house and they told someone how it was used on the dukes and now its a "FACT" that it was used.  ::) there are so many stories about real lee's! Unless the original dukes guys involved and looked the car over for all the signs (before it was painted and cut on) then I wouldnt believe it!
69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

hemi68charger

Wayne Wotten would be able to determine whether it is legit or not.. I do know in the spirit of the original G.L's dispersion, they weren't supposed to be sold after finding a new home........  I wouldn't hold my breath that it's real.........

T
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

TylerCharger69

I dunno, but some of the posts in this forum about hlpag are a bit scary...especially the poor member who bought a totally rotten car from them after saying that the trunk floor was "cut out and ready for a new one".  Which in fact, the whole rear including frame rails needed replacing.   Yes...there were some R/T cars used, probably more than what we realize, but parts from those cars were swapped so often, that it would be hard to tell what is what.   I'm thinking that if indeed this was an actual 4-speed 440 R/T Dana...blah blah blah....then John Schneider himself would have taken possession of that car and had it retsored himself, as he is a BIG Dodge Charger fan.   Plus...I think 125k is a bit high unless it can be PROVEN to be a real, unmolested Dodge Charger.   The fact that it was a General Lee  (if it is fact) has no bearing to the cars worth if this is a REAL unmolested piece.   If that was the case,  I'd be restoring that bad boy back to factory specs.....then  it would be worth a good chunk of change!!  My belief is...If you have a complete car like this...don't paint it orange and apply graphics to it.  It's worth a lot more as being returned to factory.   Save the General Lee clones for the base model Chargers  like I did.  (I'm sure I'll hear some s**t over that one...lol)

red72chrgr

Tyler, you did what was the best idea,IMHO. As for that ad, it's been discussed b4 on here.  Spfury, STAY AWAY FROM HLPAG !!!!
Nothing personal, just business

1969R6RED

Hi guys. I just came from the HLPAG web site. I was looking around at some of the pictures of the cars in their shop. I'm not one to really pass judgement but I was hoping to see a bit more of a professional enviorment i.e restoration place of busness. What I did see was a few people standing around a Charger on a hoist in a pole barn. I would be real hard pressed :rotz: :rotz: to give the $125,000 for that Clone..

I would also like to hear what Travis Bell from the General Lee fan club might have to say about these guys??? :yesnod: :yesnod:

TylerCharger69

Another good point!!!   I'd like to hear what Travis has to say about them too!!!

JimShine

Travis Bell gets many phone calls about these guys. Usually asking if they are selling real General Lees.