News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fender tag decode-help?

Started by elacruze, May 13, 2011, 11:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elacruze

I never fully decoded the fender tag before, and looking at it I see that what I thought was mechanical damage is actually 3 numbers stamped in the last 3 positions of the top row-very hard to read due to over-striking and age. I believe the first two characters are 2 and 6, the third could be a 1 or 7 (or 4) but runs into the screw hole so it's a crapshoot.
Anybody seen that before?

Looks like UBS/U8 is a light blue metallic racing stripe?!?!!!? I will be somewhat perturbed if I find that to be the case, the tag was supposedly decoded before paint/interior.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Alaskan_TA

That looks like an inspectors stamp. To me, it looks like your car was inspected by 861 - whoever that was..........

elacruze

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on May 13, 2011, 11:19:17 PM
That looks like an inspectors stamp. To me, it looks like your car was inspected by 861 - whoever that was..........

Ok, that works.

What about the rest? Blue Racing Stripe? Is that the same as the R/T stripe?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

69CoronetRT

Quote from: elacruze on May 13, 2011, 11:02:39 PM
Anybody seen that before?

That is a typical inspection stamp from a car built at the St. Louis plant. Very common.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: elacruze on May 13, 2011, 11:02:39 PM
Looks like UBS/U8 is a light blue metallic racing stripe?!?!!!? I will be somewhat perturbed if I find that to be the case, the tag was supposedly decoded before paint/interior.

Silver car with blue interior and a black top. Interesting colors. Sounds like you are returning it to factory specs? Love to see that when it's done.  :yesnod:

I've never seen that U8 before in UBS but I have also never heard of a XP charger coming from the factory with stripes?
The decoder I use (http://www.jimshine.com/tag%20info/68tagdecode.htm) doesn't really have much info on the UBS. I always thought the U in UBS was the upper door panel color and that has always seemed to match the tags I have decoded.   :shruggy:

What are you decoding with?

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

elacruze

I searched the forum and found an old thread with a link to this online decoder-there are a lot more research resources on that site too.
http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=85

The decoder is a little difficult to use, but I've done it a few times and it always comes up the same.

The car never had any evidence I noticed of any stripes, but when I got it in 1980 the blue interior had been replaced with a '70 black interior so maybe they deleted the stripe at that time. I put a black stripe on because I like it, never considering that it could have had one stock because it's not an original R/T. My girlfriend suggested at the time we make the stripe blue...dammit, she was right and I think it would look rockin'. If it's coded for a blue stripe, eventually I'll change it from black-I want the car to look like it did new, but not act like it.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

bakerhillpins

I'm no expert on this but it would take a LOT of convincing/persuasion for me to believe that the car had a factory stripe in any regard as it's a XP car. But then again stranger things have happened.

I'm kinda leaning towards this at the moment: The U in the U position is possibly for a blue color code since I see B in that position for all the cars with Black interior, W for white, etc. The 8 in the B position would typically mean Stripe Delete on an RT car so maybe just a stamping error? Not totally improbable as the car wouldn't have been coded for a stripe on the build sheet. The mistake would have been they stamped the position on an XP car rather than ignored it. I don't have any tag pics from a stripe delete RT car. The 68 RT Troy sold early last year was a stripe delete IIRC. I wonder if he still has a pic of the tag.

[edit] In 68 UU1 is Light Blue Poly, so U as the code for the upper door panel color is logical. Blue interior isn't all that common on 68s. Ive seen quite a few 69s with blue though.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

elacruze

Since the interior was swapped out, the only chance for a build sheet was the dash and headliner, neither one produced. We'll never know, although I always thought the car was in original paint and there was no evidence of a stripe. If the tag turns out to be a correct code for a blue stripe, I'll have to run it through photoshop after taking some nice photos when finished.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

elacruze

Sooo...

Can anybody confirm or absolutely refute this fender tag? I can't find any data on the 'net which says (UBS) 'B'=8 equates to 'bright blue racing stripe' other than the online decoder from mymopar.com.

I talked with Bill and Paul, the car was definitely repainted once.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

A383Wing

my books say the "8" under the "B" is for buffed paint...this will be found on silver cars only

you have nothing under the "S"...which means you never had a stripe

elacruze

Quote from: A383Wing on May 15, 2011, 09:47:06 AM
my books say the "8" under the "B" is for buffed paint...this will be found on silver cars only

That's what made the most sense to me. I've emailed MyMopar.com to ask what their source of data is-under 'B' they have 8 as a blue stripe, 3 as a Charger Red stripe, 6 as a dark green stripe, 9 as 'special order racing stripe' and the rest 1-0 as 'unknown color racing stripe. This is in addition to the normal codes under 'S' for regular color stripes.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

A383Wing

well, I say that MyMopar's info is wrong...or something in the translation got turned around

as stated before, you have no digit under the "S" on your tag....which means there never was a stripe

Troy

:iagree: You need something under the 'S' for a stripe. I always thought that silver was the only color that was buffed from the factory - which is the only reason to have anything under the 'B'.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

elacruze

So then the colors they list under 'B' are not stripes but are metallic body colors, requiring buffing. That should have been obvious to me.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Troy on May 15, 2011, 11:23:07 PM

:iagree: You need something under the 'S' for a stripe. I always thought that silver was the only color that was buffed from the factory - which is the only reason to have anything under the 'B'.

Troy

Excellent, learn something new every day! Thanks guys  :2thumbs:  Had that backwards in my notes.. Sorry  :brickwall:

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire