News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Charger - 6x9 speaker recommendations please...

Started by BananaDan, March 07, 2011, 05:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BananaDan

I am a computer and home theater geek, but have never learned much about car audio.  Can someone make a recommendation on a good pair of 6x9's for my Charger?  I'll be running the SecretAudio system (http://www.casmfg.com/Secretaudio.htm), and will be putting their 4x10 Dual-Voice Coil speaker in the dash, but have no idea what to buy for the rear.  2-way, 3-way, 5-way?  I have looked on Crutchfield's site as they usually have good info, and a couple of the higher recommended ones are 2-ways, but I would think a 3-way is going to sound better?  Obviously, mounting considerations would need to be advised so they will fit properly.

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

BananaDan

I just did some searching and reading on this site, and saw some recommendations for the Infinity Kappa 693.9i 6x9's.  So, maybe make this easier.  Anyone have advice other than going with these speakers?

Dan

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

BananaDan

Additional info... The Secret Audio SST system is 4x50 Watts Peak, RMS is more like 4x35 Watts.  Crutchfield says that the Infinity Kappa 693.9i would likely be too much speaker and would need more power to sound good and I don't want to get into the world of adding amps.  So I guess I do need a recommendation here.

Dan

twodko

Hey Dan,
I'm in the same boat looking for a system. The SST is perfect...thanks for the link!
I think I'll end up using a pair of Jensen 6x9 coaxials. They're reasonably efficient so 35w RMS will drive them nicely with power to spare. So many speaker choices out there, its gets mind numbing after a while. Let us know what you choose and we'll need pix of your install of course. :icon_smile_big:

Beautiful Charger  :2thumbs:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

BananaDan

I spoke with the SST manufacturer to get some specs, and spoke with "Buck" at Crutchfield.  Based on the ~35W RMS power, Buck recommended either the Infinity Reference series (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1089633CF/Infinity-Reference-9633cf.html?tp=91), or the Polk db series (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB691/Polk-Audio-db691.html?tp=91).  I think I'm going to go with Polk as they have a deeper base frequency response and I will likely not add an amp and sub to my car so I need these 6x9's to do the most thumping they can.  He said he actually has the Polks on his car and loves them and he thinks this SST will drive them nicely.  It also helps that we have our cavernous 40 cu. ft. trunks to act as a huge cabinet!   :punkrocka:

Dan

twodko

I was just doing a search on 6x9 speaker reviews.........I have a headache now. I'm liking what you found out about the Polk db speakers because I like solid bass myself. I checked Amazon for pricing on the SST.....$297. Is this a ballpark price compared to what you paid? You really can't ask for a better acoustic chamber in a car than the trunk of our Chargers!

Tom

BananaDan

I think Amazon had it for $279.  Did you have a typo?  I checked Tayman Radio service on recommendation from Bill440RT, Amazon, eBay and a Google shopping search.  $279 seems to be it, but I love Amazon's quick and free shipping.  Plus, they have the Polk speakers for $83.95 with free shipping, Crutchfield has them for $149.  Amazon it is for me.

Dan

BananaDan

Orders placed!  I found the Secretaudio SST for $50 less at John's Mustang in Houston.  I asked them for free shipping and they obliged.    :2thumbs:

http://johnsmustang.com/Parts/details-7689.html

I got the Dual Voice Coil 4x10 speaker by RetroSound, wires and connectors from Crutchfield, again free shipping.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_068R410N/Retrosound-R-410N.html?tp=99

And I got the Polk Audio DB691 6x9's from Amazon, with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0R6KW/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A1DXN92KCKEQV4

:punkrocka:

Dan

twodko

Hey Dan

Wow that's a great price so you know who I'll be ordering from today!! Yeah it was a typo. I already have servicable 5.5" speakers in the door panels ( installed by previous/original owner) so I'm just goin to leave the dash speaker alone but the db's will live on my package tray.  :2thumbs:.
Thank you for the links and your thoughts on different systems Dan.  :cheers:

BananaDan

I can't take all of the credit.  Bill440RT is the one that tipped me off to the Secretaudio and dual voice coil 4x10 speakers.  I can't wait to hear his '69 rock the house.  His setup is very impressive.

Dan

twodko

I just bought mine from John's as well! woohoo  I'll get some speakers ordered later today and I'll be rockin' to all the shows this season. Bill is a great guy whose helped me with resto information and guidance on what parts are selling for. I doesn't surprise me that he'd know the know. I think I'll go crank the Charger for a quick rush! :cheers:

WHITE AND RED 69

I run those polks in my car and they sound great.  :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Paul G

I am a little late to this thread but I just put a system in my 72. Used a 52 w rms Sony head unit mounted in an under dash enclosure with a pair of Boston 6x9s in the rear. All from Crutchfield. The Bostons were re comended by the rep. I hated them. Went to Best Buy and got a pair of 6x9 Kickers. Those I like! Deep base and clear at high volume.
How do you like that dual coil front speaker? I am contemplating that vs fabricating a mounting plate to put a pair of 3" speakers in.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

BananaDan

I'm still about 4-6 weeks from having my interior done and testing electrical/audio but if you can get a hold of Bill440RT, he's the one that turned me on to the idea and he has one and raved about it.

Dan

BY RSCO

Quote from: Paul G on March 25, 2011, 09:08:28 PM
I am a little late to this thread but I just put a system in my 72. Used a 52 w rms Sony head unit mounted in an under dash enclosure with a pair of Boston 6x9s in the rear. All from Crutchfield. The Bostons were re comended by the rep. I hated them. Went to Best Buy and got a pair of 6x9 Kickers. Those I like! Deep base and clear at high volume.
How do you like that dual coil front speaker? I am contemplating that vs fabricating a mounting plate to put a pair of 3" speakers in.

I would go with whatever is going to be the best fit and ease of installation between the two (the 4x10 or the dual driver setup)- either/or will sound fine, but you will get a bit more midbass out of the 4x10- if you are splitting hairs, a round speaker delivers a more true sound, but with that being said, you are looking for a nice overall sound, not perfection. I wanted to mention another thing brought up as well mentioned in an earlier post - There really is no such thing as "too much" speaker for a head unit until you get into the subwoofer range (obviously) - even though a speaker can handle 150 - 200 watts or more, does not mean that it takes that much to move it, they are simply designed in a manner that will allow them to handle more power for use in an application where higher volume (via amp) is desired. That being said, the Polks were a great overall choice anyway! They sound great, and have a great price too. Kickers are also right there with them. Just trying to help a bit.. Still learning Chargers, been dealing with Audio for 20+ years.

Paul G

The guy at Crutchfield was worried about putting too much speaker with a little 52 watt head unit, no amp. He was wrong, you are right. They (the Kickers) sound better, and If I do go with an amp some day they could probably handle it.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

BY RSCO

They will handle an amp fine..the big mistake people make with an amp (or just a head unit for that matter) is to run it dirty (distorted) - I have seen many people blow a set of speakers capable of handling 200 watts with 35 watts of power by doing this....if and when you get an amp, look at the RMS rating on the speakers, and try to get an amp comparable to that. Hope this helps a bit.

twodko

Joe, when you say "run it dirty" are we talking true distortion or speakers without proper frequency passing caps? :shruggy:

HOTROD

I am old school Pioneer-Jensen I get them at cost 3way -4way and more !! :Twocents:
What the Hell-Dumass !

BY RSCO

Quote from: twodko on March 27, 2011, 12:56:40 PM
Joe, when you say "run it dirty" are we talking true distortion or speakers without proper frequency passing caps? :shruggy:

Both can yield the same result - I was talking about true distortion, but you are correct in your thinking too. Trying to pass too much bass into a driver not made to handle it will also distort the driver, as well as simply cause it to try to move further than designed. Both cases build excessive heat in the voice coil of the speaker, causing failure. Normally a set of 6x9's as well as 5x7's will handle a good amount of bass for normal use. Trouble comes when trying to get too much out of them, whether it is volume, bass or otherwise. What I always tell folks is that you should have the same good clean sound turned up as you do at a a normal volume, when the clarity starts to go away and you begin to hear the smallest amount of "static"  (distortion), back it down til it is clean again.. sorry for rambling on...I will hush now..

twodko

I didn't hear any rambling my friend and you and I are on the same page. Here's to zener diodes, thyristors and shift registers and matched components. :cheers:

BananaDan

twodko

Hey Dan,

Sounds great doesn't it? I'm very happy with mine and the 5x7 coax Polks I ended up using in the package tray. I'll replace the 30 year old chicken shack door speaks with some 5" Polk coax soon. Good on you! :2thumbs: