News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A fair shake for Hedman Hedders...

Started by madmike, May 07, 2011, 11:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmike

A coupla weeks ago, I tried to install a set of Hedman Hedders on my '68 Charger 440-4 speed...maybe you saw the thread 'What header/starter combo are you running?'.  I had a helluva time, and when I contacted Hedman about my problems, they didn't seem too concerned about addressing them, so I ate the cost of those headers, which simply didn't fit at all.  Since Hedman wasn't concerned, I bit the bullet and bought the uncoated 1 3/4" dia headers from TTI, because they had such high reviews.  Maybe you saw that thread 'Well, I'm not impressed by TTI header quality'.

Well, I got the TTI's in, after denting a tube for starter clearance (neither stock nor mini starter fit without denting), and I had to dent the passenger side to clear torsion bar.  So, I can honestly say they fit, but I had to locally dent them for clearances.  They fit as well as a $250 header should fit, not an over $600 header.

A week or so after getting them installed, I got an email from Hedman.  They asked me to send their hedders back, so they could look at them, so I did.  They agreed that there were issues with them, and sent me a new set of headers, that are made differently.  At this point, I already had the TTI's installed, and was not going to remove them just to 'try out' the new Hedman's.  I was actually surprised that Hedman offered to replace my headers, after having been told they wouldn't, so I felt like asking for my money back wasn't going to happen, but they were willing to replace the headers.  I'm only a few parts away from being able to turn the key, and see if this bee-yatch runs or not...

Anyway, the point of the post is to say that I feel Hedman Hedders was willing to stand up for their product (even though a little late), and I appreciate vendors who do, and I thought I should post that.  I also sent an email to TTI, showing photos and documentation of my fitment issues.  Their headers cost over twice the amount that Hedman's do, and I haven't heard a word in response from TTI.  Take that for what it's worth...

tufamc

Hey,

What Headman's did/do you have?.....I only ask because I'm going to install Headman Elite's and Pypes "x" exhaust system, tho I have a 383/727

Thanks
69' Charger 383 4bbl, TF727.....for now......

madmike

I had part number 78030.  After dealing with Hedman, they offered (much later, after I bought a set of TTI's) to replace my headers, so I accepted the offer.  After a few days, they even called me, to see how well they fit.  I was honest, and told them I had already put another brand of header in.  But the guy was real nice, apologetic, and explained that occasionally, they come across a car, where their part offering just does not fit, and I was one of those guys.  They actually have another header, that they specially make, for the occasional 'problem' car, and that is what they sent to me.

Since I have TTI's now, I won't remove them, just to try these out (too much work!), but when it comes time to replace a starter or something, I'll give these a try then.

I doubt you will have any trouble with a 383/auto car.  Mine is a 440, 4 speed, with an 11" clutch, which is a little more unusual.  Good luck!