News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why the hate for electronic distributors?

Started by Drache, May 12, 2011, 04:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drache

It seems that a lot of Dodge guys have a hate on for Electronic Distributors and would rather stay with points. Why the hate? My understanding is that they both due the same thing in essence, the electronic though has no points to burn out and thus no timing problems when the points start going. Is there something about points that is better?
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

bobs66440

Point distributors work okay but electronic is the way to go IMHO. All the cars I've owned have been upgraded to electronic, except the '72 Vette I had. That had a cable tach drive and at the time a dual point Mallory was the only aftermarket dist available for that. I think the people that stay with the points do it for the sake of originality.

My guess is mainly an old school and a purist thing...  I'm not a huge fan of points but they are simple and easy to replace.

Personally I have the Orange Box Mopar EI on mine and like it. I however wouldn't use anything like an MSD box on anything that's fairly stock to maintain originality.  :Twocents:  

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

A383Wing

Quote from: Khyron on May 12, 2011, 04:58:04 PM
MSD and it's all hidden .... so :nana:

yea....but we all know you got it in there somewhere....so  :nana: back at ya.

westcoastdodge

ive had a few issues with them orange box electronic ignition in the past,so found and fitted an old mallory double life,looks and runs great :2thumbs:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

flyinlow

After the revolution starts and the Electromagnetic Pulse has has wiped out all the circuit boards, me and my points and condenser Ignited Charger will be a god!

OK I have electronic ignition distributor with an MSD box. I do have an old points distributor I take on road trips as a backup. Never used it yet.

Drache

Quote from: flyinlow on May 13, 2011, 12:02:15 AM
OK I have electronic ignition distributor with an MSD box. I do have an old points distributor I take on road trips as a backup. Never used it yet.

Thats actually a very good idea!  :yesnod:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

daveco

Best thing I ever did for my R/T was the electronic distributor, next best was the MSD.
R/Tree

Cooter

Old skoolers like points cause that's what they grew up with...New skoolers like Electyroniuc cause it's trouble free for the most parts.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Drache

Quote from: Cooter on May 13, 2011, 05:48:10 AM
Old skoolers like points cause that's what they grew up with...New skoolers like Electyroniuc cause it's trouble free for the most parts.

Well I switched to an electronic distributor. Sady part is only last week I replaced the points in the old mechnical one. Now I guess it's just a boat anchor  :P
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Nacho-RT74

the problems are mostly with newer ECUs not really with distributors IMHO
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

1BAD68

I use the Pertronix Ignitor in my old points distributor.
Install it and forget about it, can't tell its there and it works perfect.

ChgrSteve67

MSD "all-in-one" all the way. Three wires and done!

xpbprox

Quote from: flyinlow on May 13, 2011, 12:02:15 AM
After the revolution starts and the Electromagnetic Pulse has has wiped out all the circuit boards, me and my points and condenser Ignited Charger will be a god!

Very good point, and I'm serious but don't call me surely. EMP bursts are no joke, everyone is laughing now but when china and iran and russia invade us. our chargers will still run